[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Try undoing the changes you last made?

It is possible the part images were corrupted and my mod is not handling an exception gracefully.

Yeah, I did all of that last night. I removed several of the most recent mods I updated, or reverted to previous versions that I know were working fine just a few days ago, nothing helped.

All I know is that it suddenly seems like this mod doesn't even exist, as far as my PC or KSP is concerned. When I start the game, it DOES NOT 'freeze up' and convert textures, it DOES NOT create any kind of cache files, it doesn't DO anything at all, it just starts filling up the loading bar like it used to before this mod ever even existed. And as it's doing that, it's spamming the log file with continuous null reference exceptions on every part, plugin, and texture that it does manage to load until it runs out of memory and just... stops. Doesn't crash, doesn't really lock up or become totally non-responsive (I can still alt+F12 and look at the debug menu, but it's just solid red NRE's), it just hangs. Looking at the task manager, my PC is maxed out at ~95% memory use, but essentially ZERO CPU activity. It'll just sit there, waiting, forever if I let it.

So for some reason, as the game starts, it's like it's flat out ignoring the ATM .dll altogether, so it doesn't have a chance to work at all.

Eh, anyway... I'm just really frustrated. :(

Yeah, I did all of that last night. I removed several of the most recent mods I updated, or reverted to previous versions that I know were working fine just a few days ago, nothing helped.

All I know is that it suddenly seems like this mod doesn't even exist, as far as my PC or KSP is concerned. When I start the game, it DOES NOT 'freeze up' and convert textures, it DOES NOT create any kind of cache files, it doesn't DO anything at all, it just starts filling up the loading bar like it used to before this mod ever even existed. And as it's doing that, it's spamming the log file with continuous null reference exceptions on every part, plugin, and texture that it does manage to load until it runs out of memory and just... stops. Doesn't crash, doesn't really lock up or become totally non-responsive (I can still alt+F12 and look at the debug menu, but it's just solid red NRE's), it just hangs. Looking at the task manager, my PC is maxed out at ~95% memory use, but essentially ZERO CPU activity. It'll just sit there, waiting, forever if I let it.

So for some reason, as the game starts, it's like it's flat out ignoring the ATM .dll altogether, so it doesn't have a chance to work at all.

Can you post the ksp_data/output_log.txt file? Sounds like you are missing the configs that should go into BoulderCo.

I had the same thing happen to me and I'm not sure what I blamed it on at the time but I can tell you how I fixed it. When I updated to 0.23.5 I kept a clean standard no mods virgin mirror. I copied all of my mods from GameData to an alternate file then deleted old install. Added new mods to install and worked fine after that. Same game data folder contents but different game. Turned out KSP it's self was borked. If this doesn't work take another mirror install and add mods one at a time...

I have also had conflicts with ATM and load on demand causing a similar issue.

I had the same thing happen to me and I'm not sure what I blamed it on at the time but I can tell you how I fixed it. When I updated to 0.23.5 I kept a clean standard no mods virgin mirror. I copied all of my mods from GameData to an alternate file then deleted old install. Added new mods to install and worked fine after that. Same game data folder contents but different game. Turned out KSP it's self was borked. If this doesn't work take another mirror install and add mods one at a time...

I have also had conflicts with ATM and load on demand causing a similar issue.

Hmm. Thanks. I was hoping to not have to go to that level of trouble, but I'll try it if nothing else works. :)

I have the Steam version, though, and last night I did verify the integrity of the game cache files. It needed to fix 62 files, but after that it still didn't load.

@rbray89. That's the thing, I don't know HOW to post my log file on here! :( I tried using 'code' wrappers, but no joy. I guess I'm just stupid. Could someone tell me how to do this very simple task?

Hmm. Thanks. I was hoping to not have to go to that level of trouble, but I'll try it if nothing else works. :)

I have the Steam version, though, and last night I did verify the integrity of the game cache files. It needed to fix 62 files, but after that it still didn't load.

@rbray89. That's the thing, I don't know HOW to post my log file on here! :( I tried using 'code' wrappers, but no joy. I guess I'm just stupid. Could someone tell me how to do this very simple task?

Just upload the file to google docs or dropbox and post the link. :) They tend to be a bit large for a forum post.

Best guess have you try'ed something like

Mod name/folder in mod/.*

{

compress = false

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

make_not_readable = true

}

}

}

Cheers, but it didn't work; just added loads of weird shadows XD Thanks anyway; I'll deal with it for now :)

If you want and can upload the skybox, I'll play around with it ?

Cheers that'd be cool; it's for Texture Replacer, if I didn't already mention it. I'm having a slight problem with one of the sections also, so the skybox is already uploaded and posted on this thread.

Cheers again :)

I've updated my Active Texture Management configs to include Proot's changes (If that is ok). No point in one over-writing the other. Please feel free to include this latest version in your download Proot.

Green Skull ATM configs v7

To install simply remove old file and replace with new version from download. File location is here :

KSP\GameData\BoulderCo\ActiveTextureManagerConfigs

I've updated my Active Texture Management configs to include Proot's changes (If that is ok). No point in one over-writing the other. Please feel free to include this latest version in your download Proot.

To install simply remove old file and replace with new version from download. File location is here :

Thanks! that will be added in the next version.

Always wondered - what do these configs do? Cos it looks like they set aside certain things to not be compressed.. What things are these and how much memory would I gain from compressing them? Because believe me, I need all the memory I can get.. c'moooon 64bit Windows Unity...

Always wondered - what do these configs do? Cos it looks like they set aside certain things to not be compressed.. What things are these and how much memory would I gain from compressing them? Because believe me, I need all the memory I can get.. c'moooon 64bit Windows Unity...

The configs tell ATM which game data folders to act on, in what way and how to do it - thus saving you memory.

The things I set aside are tool bar and GUI buttons because they get reduced in size which makes them hard to see. Some configs have a couple of textures removed from scaling because they look like **** when scaled - these are my personal choices and there is only a handful with the memory difference being minor. The KSO looks particularly bad when compressed. The rest of the lists are normal maps so ATM can deal with them correctly.

To save more memory change the normal map compression settings in the main ATM config. Want more? change the scaling of textures from 2 to 4 also in the main config but your game play graphics will suffer.

Edited by Green Skull

The configs tell ATM which game data folders to act on, in what way and how to do it - thus saving you memory.

The things I set aside are tool bar and GUI buttons because they get reduced in size which makes them hard to see. Some configs have a couple of textures removed from scaling because they look like **** when scaled - these are my personal choices and there is only a handful with the memory difference being minor. The KSO looks particularly bad when compressed. The rest of the lists are normal maps so ATM can deal with them correctly.

To save more memory change the normal map compression settings in the main ATM config. Want more? change the scaling of textures from 2 to 4 also in the main config but your game play graphics will suffer.

Awesome, thank you. I only ask because having downloaded KSPRC, I got 2 crash-to-desktops in one morning thanks to lack of memory. I'm already using the Aggressive version so clearly, more is needed. I don't really mind if graphics suffer, I just want the game to not crash :|

Thanks again!

Has anyone else had any issues with the mod not loading? I've installed this onto my .23.5 game with tons of other mods, and the game never loads. I know the OP says that the game may look like it froze (white screen), but once it starts loading it stops immediately. I've tried leaving it like that for up to 10 minutes, but nothing happens. This happens with both basic and aggressive versions.

I have a ton of mods installed, so I'm wondering if one of them has an issue with this mod? (All are latest versions)

Mech Jeb 2

Planet Factory CE

Lazor System with weapons and sunbeam

Kethane

Kerbal Attachment System

B9 Aerospace

KW Rocketry

Nova Punch

Lack Luster Labs

Editor Extensions

Hyper Edit

Ion Hybrid Electric Engines

Aviation Lights

Interstellar

AKS Technologies Weapons

Skillful Weapons

Extraplanetary Launchpads, with a drill addon

Hooligan Labs Launchpads, Subs, and Airships

Pirated Weaponry

VNG Ejection System

Hull Cam VDS

Firespitter Helicopter Parts

I was wondering if anyone else has had any issues with these mods? I'd test them all myself, but there's too many for me to it all myself.

Sorry if that's really unpleasant to look at, I don't know how to do spoilers.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by BornaZar

I manually added a NASAmission config. Is this necessary? It seems like otherwise NASAmission textures and whatnot never appear in the textureCache.
Hey, I just found out there is no "TextureReplacer" config in ATM, so it's in fact not managing that folder ? TR is, on its side, leaving compression to ATM when it is detected.

In my latest configs pack there are configs for both of these.

Yes there are, thank you ! I was on V6, having skipped your latest.

Has anyone else had any issues with the mod not loading? I've installed this onto my .23.5 game with tons of other mods, and the game never loads. I know the OP says that the game may look like it froze (white screen), but once it starts loading it stops immediately. I've tried leaving it like that for up to 10 minutes, but nothing happens. This happens with both basic and aggressive versions.

I have a ton of mods installed, so I'm wondering if one of them has an issue with this mod? (All are latest versions)

Mech Jeb 2

Planet Factory CE

Lazor System with weapons and sunbeam

Kethane

Kerbal Attachment System

B9 Aerospace

KW Rocketry

Nova Punch

Lack Luster Labs

Editor Extensions

Hyper Edit

Ion Hybrid Electric Engines

Aviation Lights

Interstellar

AKS Technologies Weapons

Skillful Weapons

Extraplanetary Launchpads, with a drill addon

Hooligan Labs Launchpads, Subs, and Airships

Pirated Weaponry

VNG Ejection System

Hull Cam VDS

Firespitter Helicopter Parts

I was wondering if anyone else has had any issues with these mods? I'd test them all myself, but there's too many for me to it all myself.

Sorry if that's really unpleasant to look at, I don't know how to do spoilers.

Thanks in advance.

I'm having the same issue as well... I think it's this version of the mod because up until I updated it today it had worked fine...