[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

61MB is pretty small... what mods do you have installed? You can add configs to take care of your other installed mods.

Let me see... I am using kethane, KAS, Editor Extensions, TAC Life Support, FAR, DRE, Ship manifest, TAL Toroidal Tanks, Kerbal Engineer, Alternis Kerbol, and blizzy's toolbar. I have tried adding them to the config to be compressed and it kept on crashing the game. Not sure what other info I can give to help more.

team.leit

Hey rbray89 great mod you've made here!

I was wondering if you could please tell me how to exclude a folder or mod from the active memory reduction 2-8 basic.

Whats happening is that the rings on 2 of the planets for krags planet factory come out as big black textures.

Hmmm... can you post KSP.log? What folder is Krag's textures in? This mod will only do things aside from compression on mods it has configs for, and compression shouldn't do anything like that. You can add specific exclusions by adding a config file for the planetfactory mod and having a section like so:

OVERRIDES
{
BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/kerbin1
{
compress = false
mipmaps = true
scale = 1
filter_mode = Bilinear
make_not_readable = false
}
}

Let me see... I am using kethane, KAS, Editor Extensions, TAC Life Support, FAR, DRE, Ship manifest, TAL Toroidal Tanks, Kerbal Engineer, Alternis Kerbol, and blizzy's toolbar. I have tried adding them to the config to be compressed and it kept on crashing the game. Not sure what other info I can give to help more.

team.leit

The new version of the mod uses config files to determine compression now, not a folders list. So you have to use the exact name of the mod folder as the config name (case sensitive). Is 64MB the size reported in the log? the log would be helpful too.

I was using the 2.7 basic, but I am gonna give 2.8 basic a try and see how that works for me. Is there any instructions that I don't have to go browsing around the thread to find?

Edited by team.leit
Adding a question

The new version of the mod uses config files to determine compression now, not a folders list. So you have to use the exact name of the mod folder as the config name (case sensitive). Is 64MB the size reported in the log? the log would be helpful too.

I am trying the new version right now, I will get back to you as to how it works out, but with the old I was doing it just like you said right now.

EDIT: Here is the log from my latest attempt to run this mod.

This is what I have changed in the config

FOLDERS
{
folder = Squad/
folder = BoulderCo/
folder = KWRocketry/
folder = B9_Aerospace/
folder = ThunderAerospace/
folder = DeadlyReentry/
folder = Kethane/
folder = KAS/
}

Edited by team.leit

I have this weird bug while using this. At first I thought it was Sum Dum service module because all those parts were being affected but then I noticed that a lot of other parts are being affected. The parts are very shiney and grey? Someone on the Service Module thread said it was this mod that was affecting it. I haven't tried to test it without this mod because then I crash because of all the mods I have.

Mods

000_Toolbar
ASET
AtmosphericSoundEnchancement
aWolf(les and perfectron)
Beastly Science
blizzy(Achievements)
BoudlerCo(Clouds and 2.8 aggressive texture compresser)
Chatterer
CrewManifest
DeadlyReentry
Enginner
EngineIgnitor
EnhancedNavBall
FAR
Firespitter(plugin not parts)
FusTek(plugin not parts)
JSI(RasterPropMonitor)
KAS
Keramzit(Procedural Fairings)
KerbalJointReinforcement
Kethane
KSPX
Life Support(ECLSS)
LTech
masTerTorch(kdex)
MechJeb2
MechJeb2RPM
NearFuture
NothkeSerCom
Panda Jager Laboratories(Rover mast)
PorkWorks(Habitat pack)
Protractor
RadishPod
RealChute
RLA_Stockalike
SCANsat
SCANsatRPM
SDHI
SH_mods(mk2 internals)
SurfaceLights
Targetron
TarsierSpaceTech
Telemachus
TextureReplacer
ThunderAerospace(Self destruct)
TriggerTech(Alarm clock and alternate resource panel)
TweakableDockingNode
WernherChecker
Modulefixer.dll
ModuleManager_1_5_6.dll

Output log

I am trying the new version right now, I will get back to you as to how it works out, but with the old I was doing it just like you said right now.

EDIT: Here is the log from my latest attempt to run this mod.

This is what I have changed in the config

FOLDERS
{
folder = Squad/
folder = BoulderCo/
folder = KWRocketry/
folder = B9_Aerospace/
folder = ThunderAerospace/
folder = DeadlyReentry/
folder = Kethane/
folder = KAS/
}

Ah... I moved to a different config mechanism so mods could ship with their own configs. Each mod gets it's own config, and the global config has moved to BoulderCo/textureCompressorConfigs/textureCompressor.cfg. To have detailed texture management, there has to be a config for each mod.

Hmmm... can you post KSP.log? What folder is Krag's textures in? This mod will only do things aside from compression on mods it has configs for, and compression shouldn't do anything like that. You can add specific exclusions by adding a config file for the planetfactory mod and having a section like so:

OVERRIDES
{
BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/kerbin1
{
compress = false
mipmaps = true
scale = 1
filter_mode = Bilinear
make_not_readable = false
}
}

Thank you for the quick reply!

I loaded it up again, and apparently it fixed itself. Not sure exactly what was causing the rings to come out as a black texture but it appears to be fine now. Thanks for the help though!

Also Krags folder is named "PlanetFactory"

Using the 2-8 basic it seems most of my interstellar textures have a messed up shining going on with them. I havent altered any of the configs with this to include interstellar stuff. It persists through reloading the game though. Besides this though everything is fantastic :)

Using the 2-8 basic it seems most of my interstellar textures have a messed up shining going on with them. I havent altered any of the configs with this to include interstellar stuff. It persists through reloading the game though. Besides this though everything is fantastic :)

The normal maps for interstellar will have to be handled properly. I'll see about creating a config for them.

I have this weird bug while using this. At first I thought it was Sum Dum service module because all those parts were being affected but then I noticed that a lot of other parts are being affected. The parts are very shiney and grey? Someone on the Service Module thread said it was this mod that was affecting it. I haven't tried to test it without this mod because then I crash because of all the mods I have.

Mods

000_Toolbar
ASET
AtmosphericSoundEnchancement
aWolf(les and perfectron)
Beastly Science
blizzy(Achievements)
BoudlerCo(Clouds and 2.8 aggressive texture compresser)
Chatterer
CrewManifest
DeadlyReentry
Enginner
EngineIgnitor
EnhancedNavBall
FAR
Firespitter(plugin not parts)
FusTek(plugin not parts)
JSI(RasterPropMonitor)
KAS
Keramzit(Procedural Fairings)
KerbalJointReinforcement
Kethane
KSPX
Life Support(ECLSS)
LTech
masTerTorch(kdex)
MechJeb2
MechJeb2RPM
NearFuture
NothkeSerCom
Panda Jager Laboratories(Rover mast)
PorkWorks(Habitat pack)
Protractor
RadishPod
RealChute
RLA_Stockalike
SCANsat
SCANsatRPM
SDHI
SH_mods(mk2 internals)
SurfaceLights
Targetron
TarsierSpaceTech
Telemachus
TextureReplacer
ThunderAerospace(Self destruct)
TriggerTech(Alarm clock and alternate resource panel)
TweakableDockingNode
WernherChecker
Modulefixer.dll
ModuleManager_1_5_6.dll

Output log

That is due to compression of normalmaps. The configs will have to be updated to add the normalmaps.

Ah... I moved to a different config mechanism so mods could ship with their own configs. Each mod gets it's own config, and the global config has moved to BoulderCo/textureCompressorConfigs/textureCompressor.cfg. To have detailed texture management, there has to be a config for each mod.

How would I set up a config file for the different mods then? I didn't bother looking through the log file last night since my computer began running really slow for everything, it hasn't done that since I added the two more GB's of RAM

Edited by team.leit

How would I set up a config file for the different mods then? I didn't bother looking through the log file last night since my computer began running really slow for everything, it hasn't done that since I added the two more GB's of RAM

Take a look in BoulderCo/textureCompressorConfigs/ for examples. Add a config file for each mod you want to manage. The filename of the config file has to mach the mod folder exactly.

Take a look in BoulderCo/textureCompressorConfigs/ for examples. Add a config file for each mod you want to manage. The filename of the config file has to mach the mod folder exactly.

I kinda figured as much, so I just copied the LLL-Extra and renamed it to each of the mods that I thought could be compressed, yes I looked at the mod folders name as I renamed the files.

EDIT: I don't know why it is still not working

EDIT2: I am looking through the log and adding the missing textures to the leave alone lists, it would help if I followed the instructions

EDIT3: Its working now, my savings are around 328 MB's

Edited by team.leit

I kinda figured as much, so I just copied the LLL-Extra and renamed it to each of the mods that I thought could be compressed, yes I looked at the mod folders name as I renamed the files.

EDIT: I don't know why it is still not working

EDIT2: I am looking through the log and adding the missing textures to the leave alone lists, it would help if I followed the instructions

EDIT3: Its working now, my savings are around 328 MB's

Perfect. Let me know if there is anything else. Yeah, it is pretty hard to get people to perform the needed steps, when previously, they just had to install it and forget about it. The thing is, the normal maps would still be messed up when using the old version.

Perfect. Let me know if there is anything else. Yeah, it is pretty hard to get people to perform the needed steps, when previously, they just had to install it and forget about it. The thing is, the normal maps would still be messed up when using the old version.

Then why don't you have a tutorial for installing it? Also I got this error before the game crashed

[ERR 11:43:29.320] Could not allocate memory: System out of memory!
Trying to allocate: 1048588B with 4 alignment. MemoryLabel: TempOverflow
Allocation happend at: Line:109 in
Memory overview

[ ALLOC_TEMP_THREAD ] used: 555024B | peak: 0B | reserved: 65536B

[ ALLOC_DEFAULT ] used: 85083239B | peak: 0B | reserved: 99558228B

[ ALLOC_GFX ] used: 164833207B | peak: 0B | reserved: 176160768B

[ ALLOC_CACHEOBJECTS ] used: 7880B | peak: 0B | reserved: 8388608B

[ ALLOC_TYPETREE ] used: 7300B | peak: 0B | reserved: 4194304B

[ ALLOC_PROFILER ] used: 72B | peak: 0B | reserved: 4194304B

[ERR 11:43:29.328] Could not allocate memory: System out of memory!
Trying to allocate: 1048576B with 4 alignment. MemoryLabel: SerializationTemp
Allocation happend at: Line:318 in
Memory overview

EDIT: would the aggressive version work better?

Edited by team.leit

Then why don't you have a tutorial for installing it? Also I got this error before the game crashed

[ERR 11:43:29.320] Could not allocate memory: System out of memory!
Trying to allocate: 1048588B with 4 alignment. MemoryLabel: TempOverflow
Allocation happend at: Line:109 in
Memory overview

[ERR 11:43:29.328] Could not allocate memory: System out of memory!
Trying to allocate: 1048576B with 4 alignment. MemoryLabel: SerializationTemp
Allocation happend at: Line:318 in
Memory overview

EDIT: would the aggressive version work better?

I want to reach out to part modders so that they start doing one of two things: name their normal maps correctly, or ship with a config file that calls out the normal maps.

The problem I've noticed is that a lot of parts don't name their normal maps with a _NRM at the end, so KSP (and this mod) don't know that they are supposed to be normal maps. Which causes issues of course.

Yeah, the aggressive version helps by reducing all textures to 1/2 their normal resolution. It also shaves memory by not creating mipmaps for normal textures (which I don't think is really needed.)

I just tried out 2-8 Aggressive with my test install of 0.23 (which is rapidly approaching my preferred mix of mods) and it worked great! I did not add any configs, just used the ones that came with Active Memory Reduction -- which for me basically means the aggressive reduction was only applied to the Squad folder. I still saw a savings of 335MB, which is equivalent to PolecatEZ's old Squad Texture Reduction Pack!

Granted, the load time was a hair over five minutes, but what I found when I was experimenting with 2-7 is that most of that time is spent compressing the Squad textures. Unless I throw in something like B9, all my other mods only account for about a minute of extra time loading. So while not ideal, it's acceptable for what it allows me to do.

Could you refresh my memory on how to address the problem of the weird lighting effects on some parts though? This is Porkjet's OrbitalOrb command pod from his Habitat Pack. Right now, it's the only one I'm seeing it on.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I just tried out 2-8 Aggressive with my test install of 0.23 (which is rapidly approaching my preferred mix of mods) and it worked great! I did not add any configs, just used the ones that came with Active Memory Reduction -- which for me basically means the aggressive reduction was only applied to the Squad folder. I still saw a savings of 335MB, which is equivalent to PolecatEZ's old Squad Texture Reduction Pack!

Granted, the load time was a hair over five minutes, but what I found when I was experimenting with 2-7 is that most of that time is spent compressing the Squad textures. Unless I throw in something like B9, all my other mods only account for about a minute of extra time loading. So while not ideal, it's acceptable for what it allows me to do.

Could you refresh my memory on how to address the problem of the weird lighting effects on some parts though? This is Porkjet's OrbitalOrb command pod from his Habitat Pack. Right now, it's the only one I'm seeing it on.

http://imgur.com/a/1en6w

Good to hear! Wow. Sometimes the effect is REALLY severe.

You need to create a config file with the name of the mod in BoulderCo/textureCompressorConfigs/

A good one to look at is the B9 config. It shows you how to list the normal maps so they are imported correctly.

You need to create a config file with the name of the mod in BoulderCo/textureCompressorConfigs/

A good one to look at is the B9 config. It shows you how to list the normal maps so they are imported correctly.

Cool. So what I want to do is create a PorkWorks.cfg with just this in it? There's no need for the .mbm extension on the normals list?

Oh, and do we need to keep the textureCompressorConfigs folder in the BoulderCo folder, or could I move it my PigasusAerospace folder where I keep things like my ModuleManager configs, welded parts, etc.? That would make updating Active Memory Compression easier, since we wouldn't have to worry about saving our configs.

NORMAL_LIST

{

texture = PorkWorks/Parts/orbitalorb/model000

texture = PorkWorks/Parts/inflato1/model000

texture = PorkWorks/Parts/inflato1/model001

texture = PorkWorks/Parts/cetrifuge1/model000

texture = PorkWorks/Parts/cetrifuge1/model001

texture = PorkWorks/Parts/cetrifuge1/model002

}

Edited to reflect learning how to CTRL-C/CTRL-V properly.

Edited by lincourtl

Cool. So what I want to do is create a PorkWorks.cfg with just this in it? There's no need for the .mbm extension on the normals list?

Oh, and do we need to keep the textureCompressorConfigs folder in the BoulderCo folder, or could I move it my PigasusAerospace folder where I keep things like my ModuleManager configs, welded parts, etc.? That would make updating Active Memory Compression easier, since we wouldn't have to worry about saving our configs.

Exactly. This will allow them to be properly treated as normal maps. I noticed some case difference though. the config says PorkWorks but the normal list has Porkworks. They should match the folder exactly.

Exactly. This will allow them to be properly treated as normal maps. I noticed some case difference though. the config says PorkWorks but the normal list has Porkworks. They should match the folder exactly.

Haha. Copypasta fail.

Okey I figured out what was wrong with Mk1 pod - I have installed squad texture reduction pack and for some reason this mod doesn't seems to like those (.tga BTW) textures. Adding the only changed texture (model001.tga) to normal list solved the problem.

I'm gonna investigate further regarding this apparent incompatibility between this mod and STR. Maybe it doesn't like .tga for some reason?