[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

I have a question with all this compression does it produce lag as i have noticed a considerable slow down while playing now or is it I am running out of memory again

No, everything should in-fact run a bit faster. May take some time to load, but once there, everything should be good. Did you add more mods?

No, everything should in-fact run a bit faster. May take some time to load, but once there, everything should be good. Did you add more mods?

Just noticed my game runs slower too with 2.9 over 2.8 (no other changes) - when the reentry effects light up (running Deadly Reentry if it matters) the clock turns yellow and the whole simulation grinds to a crawl. Not sure if it is due to 2.9 or not, but nothing else changed, so I thought it was worth noting. I'll try adding DR to the blank cfg list and see if that fixes anything. ...once i land ;)

Is there any reason why 2.10 aggressive isn't compressing as well as 2.8 aggressive? I was getting 2.4GB at load before and now I'm getting 3.1GB. I haven't changed anything except this mod. Have any config files been changed that could cause this?

If I reinstall 2.8 the load size goes back down to 2.4GB.

Edited by raidernick

Just noticed my game runs slower too with 2.9 over 2.8 (no other changes) - when the reentry effects light up (running Deadly Reentry if it matters) the clock turns yellow and the whole simulation grinds to a crawl. Not sure if it is due to 2.9 or not, but nothing else changed, so I thought it was worth noting. I'll try adding DR to the blank cfg list and see if that fixes anything. ...once i land ;)

I can kinda confirm this.

I have a very small test station in a 200k orbit around Kerbin. This station is comprised of 50 parts and no lights. To dock with it I'm using a small 23 part ship that I Hyper Edit into a 80k orbit.

While running 2.8 Aggressive I'm generally getting between 60 FPS while puttering around in my small ship. When I get within 2.5k of my test station the game will freeze for about 20 seconds while the station loads. The clock will immediately go yellow and my FPS locks in at 10.5. When I get within visual range of the station the FPS will drop to 8.

Without making any changes to the game or other mods, I remove the 2.8 DLL and config file and replace it with the 1.1 DLL. Restarting the game and going through the same steps above I see a dramatic improvement in the FPS rates. Puttering around I'll get between 80 and 90 FPS. Getting within 2.5k of my test station the game will lag pretty hard for bout 5 seconds while the station loads. Unlike before it does not freeze which gives the impression the game has crashed. FPS will immediately drop to 20 FPS and the clock will "stutter" between green and yellow. Once docked my FPS drops to 14 or so.

The only down side to all this is my memory took a 1 GB hit moving back to 1.1. While running 2.8 Aggressive my memory was right at 2.2Gb or so. At 1.1 it's now 3.1 and change. At this point I'm not to sure which I want more. Gotta think about that one.

The Dude

Edited by TheDude

Ok... new release is posted. No more issues with mods that don't have a config file to manage them. Still compressed though. Also added KSPX, as I used it to test with/without config.

Aye, like others I'm seeing a fairly substantial increase in memory usage from 2-9 Aggressive to 2-10 Aggressive using the exact same setup -- 151MB or just about 15% increase.

Interestingly the game also loaded faster -- 4 min 30 sec for 2-10, vs 5 min 33 sec for 2-9.

Otherwise, all is as it was before. Textures look fine, no sparklies, and KSP runs so much better. It's beautiful.

I can kinda confirm this.

I have a very small test station in a 200k orbit around Kerbin. This station is comprised of 50 parts and no lights. To dock with it I'm using a small 23 part ship that I Hyper Edit into a 80k orbit.

While running 2.8 Aggressive I'm generally getting between 60 FPS while puttering around in my small ship. When I get within 2.5k of my test station the game will freeze for about 20 seconds while the station loads. The clock will immediately go yellow and my FPS locks in at 10.5. When I get within visual range of the station the FPS will drop to 8.

Without making any changes to the game or other mods, I remove the 2.8 DLL and config file and replace it with the 1.1 DLL. Restarting the game and going through the same steps above I see a dramatic improvement in the FPS rates. Puttering around I'll get between 80 and 90 FPS. Getting within 2.5k of my test station the game will lag pretty hard for bout 5 seconds while the station loads. Unlike before it does not freeze which gives the impression the game has crashed. FPS will immediately drop to 20 FPS and the clock will "stutter" between green and yellow. Once docked my FPS drops to 14 or so.

The only down side to all this is my memory took a 1 GB hit moving back to 1.1. While running 2.8 Aggressive my memory was right at 2.2Gb or so. At 1.1 it's now 3.1 and change. At this point I'm not to sure which I want more. Gotta think about that one.

The Dude

It is possible that this is due to mipmaps... when in use, rendering should be faster. Try enabling mipmaps in the aggressive config. Note that this will increase the memory usage slightly.

Aye, like others I'm seeing a fairly substantial increase in memory usage from 2-9 Aggressive to 2-10 Aggressive using the exact same setup -- 151MB or just about 15% increase.

Interestingly the game also loaded faster -- 4 min 30 sec for 2-10, vs 5 min 33 sec for 2-9.

Otherwise, all is as it was before. Textures look fine, no sparklies, and KSP runs so much better. It's beautiful.

The bug in 2-8/9 would have basically dropped the tga normal map textures. That would explain the increase in memory between 2.9 and 2.10

The bug in 2-8/9 would have basically dropped the tga normal map textures. That would explain the increase in memory between 2.9 and 2.10

You could get the memory back by shrinking the normal further (making maximum size 256 for example).

Yes the game loads much faster on 2.10 leading me to believe it's not compressing some textures or not compressing them as well as before.

No, it is working. There was a bug where it tried to convert ALL textures if they weren't readable. Now I only do that if there is a config for the mod.

That doesn't explain why the memory usage is so much higher now though.

The bug was fixed. Basically, in 2-8 & 2-9 all the tga normal maps were resized to a garbage texture of a handful of pixels. Basically dropping them to nothing. When I fixed the bug, it went back up as the textures are restored.

*UPDATE*

2.10 Aggressive did not actually ship with the aggressive config (7ZIP didn't update the zip file apparently)

Just fixed it now. Download & replace to update it. I also set it to shrink the normal maps down to a max of 256x256 to save more memory.

*UPDATE*

2.10 Aggressive did not actually ship with the aggressive config (7ZIP didn't update the zip file apparently)

Just fixed it now. Download & replace to update it. I also set it to shrink the normal maps down to a max of 256x256 to save more memory.

Yay! Back up to 1013MB savings. That's damn impressive. I think this one's a keeper, unless you've got any more tricks up your sleeve.