[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Can someone explain to me what's the difference between Basic and Aggressive? I think the OP needs to be updated with that info. I know I could probably find the answer if I searched through all of the 70 pages on this thread, but I don't have time right now.

I'm assuming that Aggressive saves more RAM than Basic, but I'm wondering if it reduces the texture quality more.

Thanks!

I was using the texture replacer mod before with texture reduction packs and hated how everything looked like crap and was always well over 3GB of ram used. I switched to this, and now that the errors are fixed, using aggressive config and my own config files I get 2.5GB ram usage at main menu and have even more mods (over 60) installed than I did previously and everything looks great.

Edit: Should also point out that's without texture reduction packs now.

Edited by Madman With A Box

rbray - How does the plugin/game handle textures that are replaced using model nodes? Does it keep them in memory or are they unloaded?

Model nodes? Please elaborate. I'm not sure what you mean here.

Configs for Agressive are definitely incorrect in regards to RasterPropMonitor. RPM relies a lot on textures that cannot be reduced in size, in particular fonts, they should be treated as GUI. I didn't test this yet, but it should in theory work:

OVERRIDES_FOLDERS
{
JSI/RasterPropMonitor/ExampleMFD/
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
filtering = Bilinear
make_not_readable = true
}
}

Model nodes? Please elaborate. I'm not sure what you mean here.

I think it has to do with Configs. Every line is a "node" for some reason. Something like MODULE{} is a whole entire node that can have sub nodes. The MODEL node is what allows you to take different meshes and combine them into 1 part. It probably has other uses, but that use is the most pressing as far as I've seen. I'm looking at the Squad configs right now, and haven't seen a model node used, but I've only looked at the Rapier and one of the Nuke engines.

Configs for Agressive are definitely incorrect in regards to RasterPropMonitor. RPM relies a lot on textures that cannot be reduced in size, in particular fonts, they should be treated as GUI. I didn't test this yet, but it should in theory work:

Would you advise to use basic config in the meantime?

Would you advise to use basic config in the meantime?

I haven't played at all with texture management, but here's what I can tell you exactly:

1. Reducing certain textures in size, in particular font bitmaps, will break RPM completely.
  2. Reducing most of the things that go into compositing a screen, like overlays or the texture that goes on the navball, will make it very hard to use, but won't exactly break it.
  3. Reducing textures that go into the few props RPM introduces is safe, but these were tiny to start with.

There's basically very little in RPM you can safely squash and most of it is already as small as it gets, there's nothing so silly as a 2048x2048 throttle handle in it, so it's best to add an exception for RPM.

I haven't played at all with texture management, but here's what I can tell you exactly:

1. Reducing certain textures in size, in particular font bitmaps, will break RPM completely.
  2. Reducing most of the things that go into compositing a screen, like overlays or the texture that goes on the navball, will make it very hard to use, but won't exactly break it.
  3. Reducing textures that go into the few props RPM introduces is safe, but these were tiny to start with.

There's basically very little in RPM you can safely squash and most of it is already as small as it gets, there's nothing so silly as a 2048x2048 throttle handle in it, so it's best to add an exception for RPM.

If you could take a look at the test version and let me know if it works as expected, I'll upload the changes. The RasterpProp changes are ones I'm very interested in.

If you could take a look at the test version and let me know if it works as expected, I'll upload the changes. The RasterpProp changes are ones I'm very interested in.

RPM seems to survive with no ill effects. Stock instruments that remain are pretty much unreadable, though, might I suggest imposing a minimum size on textures in Squad/Props? Particularly everything with markings on it, like AltimeterThreeHands, AtmosphereDepth, AxisIndicator, Compass, IndicatorPanel, NavBall, radarAltitude and VSI.

RPM seems to survive with no ill effects. Stock instruments that remain are pretty much unreadable, though, might I suggest imposing a minimum size on textures in Squad/Props? Particularly everything with markings on it, like AltimeterThreeHands, AtmosphereDepth, AxisIndicator, Compass, IndicatorPanel, NavBall, radarAltitude and VSI.

Ah. Will do.

Rbray, I know what to add for the RPM plugin. Inside the JSI config, add this.

OVERRIDES_FOLDERS
{
JSI/RasterPropMonitor/Example/ExampleMFD
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
filtering = Bilinear
make_not_readable = true
}
}

I will assume the same will work for the inside of the squad cockpits, but, for the JSI RPM mod, this works better than expected.

When I had 1-1 installed, KSP didn't go over 1.7GB of RAM usage. After updating to 2-12 basic, I get 2.4GB on the main screen. I don't know what is happening, but it's messed up. Yes, I restarted it three times, getting increased RAM usage every time. 1.7GB, 1.8GB, and 2.4GB in this order.

*update* VAB produces 2.6GB. I'm almost afraid to fly my craft.

Edited by Wampa842

Fine, I'll do that, I'll update this message when I get the results.

Though I don't know why rbray would create an update that is less efficient than the previous release.

He didn't create an update that is less efficient. The basic version adds mipmaps which alone is 20% boost to the memory usage as well as a lot is not compressed and stays at a 1 to 1 scale. Aggressive removes the mip maps and halves the texture size. Theres a bit more to each but I don't think its necessary to go over every little thing.

1.8GB at KSC on first launch. It increases to 1.95GB in the VAB, and to 2.1GB on the launch pad. It's still not nearly as good as before, but at least it doesn't crash on launch.

It produces similar results on second launch.