[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Hmmm... I'm not sure about why they would be pixelated. They should be in the exclusion list if all the icons are in 000_Toolbar.

Here is a screenshot. As you can see, all of the buttons look normal except for the update available button, and the options arrow, the others look normal. I've seen other screenshots where this looks normal so I can definitely tell something is off here.

87EB09005A796928BEB1FEC2B95D093A1694A774

did you create a config for the mod or is it just there?

The file is part of the mod. There are 10 texture files in AlternisKerbol and the biggest one is 23MB.

I followed your advice of letting the game load longer. More than 2 hours have passed and the loading is still stuck in the 1st TGA texture file in the folder. Still no crashes but the loading screen turns black after a while and only the loading bar and the current file being loaded shows up.

If it takes longer than 2 hours to load a 3MB file, I can't imagine the 23MB one!

Edit: The problem apparently was solved by re-downloading and reinstalling AlternisKerbol... Don't ask... I'm mystified

Edited by DauntingFlyer

Hmmm... I'm not sure about why they would be pixelated. They should be in the exclusion list if all the icons are in 000_Toolbar.

OK, it's definitely not excluding Toolbar textures. I looked in the cache and sure enough, there were cached texture files in there. Deleted them, loaded game up, and it created new ones. It's only compressing the standard icons and buttons that come with Toolbar, none of the others that are added by other mods.

EDIT: Looked in the config folder, looks like the config has it set to process Toolbar's icon textures.

NORMAL_LIST
{

}

OVERRIDES
{

}

OVERRIDES_FOLDERS
{
000_Toolbar/
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
filtering = Bilinear
make_not_readable = true
}
}

EDIT #2: So, even after changing compress to false, it still processed the icon textures (maybe changing the format has that side effect?) I deleted the cache again as well as the config for 000_Toolbar and the problem is now solved.

Another question, why is there both .cfg and .tcfg files? Are the .cfg files leftovers from a previous version?

Edited by Castun

Do we need a config file now for everything we want to be compressed? For instance, I see it isn't caching textures for Procedural Fairings, so I assume it's not compressing the fairing and base textures at all.

OK, it's definitely not excluding Toolbar textures. I looked in the cache and sure enough, there were cached texture files in there. Deleted them, loaded game up, and it created new ones. It's only compressing the standard icons and buttons that come with Toolbar, none of the others that are added by other mods.

EDIT: Looked in the config folder, looks like the config has it set to process Toolbar's icon textures.

NORMAL_LIST
{

}

OVERRIDES
{

}

OVERRIDES_FOLDERS
{
000_Toolbar/
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
filtering = Bilinear
make_not_readable = true
}
}

EDIT #2: So, even after changing compress to false, it still processed the icon textures (maybe changing the format has that side effect?) I deleted the cache again as well as the config for 000_Toolbar and the problem is now solved.

Another question, why is there both .cfg and .tcfg files? Are the .cfg files leftovers from a previous version?

the cfgs are leftovers. I moved to tcfgs so that ksp wouldn't load them. Try enabling mipmaps. The original images were TGA, which generate them.

Do we need a config file now for everything we want to be compressed? For instance, I see it isn't caching textures for Procedural Fairings, so I assume it's not compressing the fairing and base textures at all.

It is compressing those, but not re-sizing or processing in any way.

the cfgs are leftovers. I moved to tcfgs so that ksp wouldn't load them. Try enabling mipmaps. The original images were TGA, which generate them.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I ended up just removing the cached textures, and deleted the .cfgs as well as the .tcfg for 000_Toolbar. I don't really notice much difference at all in memory usage, but they're definitely as sharp as they should be now!

I'm not sure what could have caused this. You can re-install the mod to be on the safe side, and delete the squad cache folder. looks like one of the internal space textures got messed up.

Greetings,

2-15 has been running GREAT with no crashes, hangs on start or texture problems. There has been one problem though that actually predates 2.15 that is more annoying than anything. That problem is some of the icons used in Blizzy78's toolbar have shrunk. Since pictures are worth a 1000 words, please see below:

Without compression:

Capture2_zpsad203001.png

With compression:

Capture_zpsf3cb421c.png

As you can see the Kerbal Engineer has shrunk to almost nothing. This also happens for Kethane, TAC Life Support, TAC Fuel, and a few others.

Here are some configs for these mods:

config_enabled = true

OVERRIDES

{

Engineer/Toolbar*.png

{

compress = true

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

filtering = point

}

}

Kethane/toolbar/.*

{

compress = true

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

filtering = point

}

ThunderAerospace/LifeSupport/Textures/.*

{

compress = true

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

filtering = point

}

I've tried turning compression on and off, making non-readable on and off and changed filtering to all options and none have made any difference.

Any ideas?

Best regards,

The Dude

Edited by TheDude

Hey Rbray89 what is the diffenters with the two versions ples tell me I what to know. also witch one is the better one to use?

CAN you answer me ples

THIS is the 3ed time I have asked this to you!

The explanation under each of the Aggressive downloads sums it up quite nicely: https://github.com/waka324/TextureCompressor/releases/tag/2-15-aggressive

"Contains a config file for aggressive texture reduction (halve all textures, compress all non-normalmaps, and don't generate mip-maps for normalmaps)" Basic does none of these things. Basic simply does basic compression, shrinks & updates normalmaps a bit.

Greetings,

2-15 has been running GREAT with no crashes, hangs on start or texture problems. There has been one problem though that actually predates 2.15 that is more annoying than anything. That problem is some of the icons used in Blizzy78's toolbar have shrunk. Since pictures are worth a 1000 words, please see below:

Without compression:

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag11/thedude0901/Capture2_zpsad203001.png

With compression:

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag11/thedude0901/Capture_zpsf3cb421c.png

As you can see the Kerbal Engineer has shrunk to almost nothing. This also happens for Kethane, TAC Life Support, TAC Fuel, and a few others.

Here are some configs for these mods:

config_enabled = true

OVERRIDES

{

Engineer/Toolbar*.png

{

compress = true

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

filtering = point

}

}

Kethane/toolbar/.*

{

compress = true

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

filtering = point

}

ThunderAerospace/LifeSupport/Textures/.*

{

compress = true

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

filtering = point

}

I've tried turning compression on and off, making non-readable on and off and changed filtering to all options and none have made any difference.

Any ideas?

Best regards,

The Dude

Hmm... First off, extensions can't be used, so

Engineer/Toolbar*.png
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
filtering = point
}

would be: (also note that there should be a '.' before the asterisk.)

Engineer/Toolbar.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
filtering = point
}

It also looks like mipmaps need to be enabled for these kinds of textures, so I would also add that in. Are you sure the icons are in those folders?

how do i override settings for only one modfolder and recurse all underlying folders?

I'll give the WarpPlugin config as an example:

config_enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
WarpPlugin/[^/]*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
make_not_readable = false
}

WarpPlugin/PlanetResourceData/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}

The first override basically means everything that is in the WarpPlugin folder, but not in any subfolders, and the second is everything in the PlanetResourceData folder, and any subfolders.

rbray89 : if you create a plugindata subdir and move the cache and cfg folder here the game asset loader should ignore them and you would not need to change the extension.

Hmm... First off, extensions can't be used, so

Engineer/Toolbar.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
filtering = point
}

{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}

The first override basically means everything that is in the WarpPlugin folder, but not in any subfolders, and the second is everything in the PlanetResourceData folder, and any subfolders.

rbray, perhaps I misunderstand, but it seems like your first quote here indicates that, "modfoldername/.*" won't work and should instead be modfoldername/subfolder.*, but then you immediately follow up by indicating that for the warp plugin you use that exact format.

I'm probably misunderstanding, but can you please clarify that?

I'll give the WarpPlugin config as an example:

config_enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
WarpPlugin/[^/]*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}

{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}

thanks for the quick answer, wasnt clear in the description.

rbray, perhaps I misunderstand, but it seems like your first quote here indicates that, "modfoldername/.*" won't work and should instead be modfoldername/subfolder.*, but then you immediately follow up by indicating that for the warp plugin you use that exact format.

I'm probably misunderstanding, but can you please clarify that?

I think you misread the earlier post... I was pointing out that "Engineer/Toolbar*.png" would not work to identify files due to the extension and missing '.'. instead, it should be Engineer/Toolbar.* to match a file/folder that starts with Engineer/Toolbar. If you want to explicitly name folders/subfolders, the '/' is important. Otherwise, it could match files (which is probably what was desired with the Engineer plugin I assume due to the extension.)

Ok, I'm having a new problem that happened for the first time. The mod disregarded whether I have a config for it or not, or whether or not I have them in a folder (like the old 2-5). And I even made cong files that say do NOT compress. And yet, It still makes a cashe and still compresses. And idea how to fix?

Examples:

My config

NFQNJAB.png

The Cashe made while loading

LAkmSI0.png

Obviously compressed

LzXeDjU.png

Even The IVA RPMs

rLdFp6H.png

Even the ToolBar

PW0Ky4z.png

Even the Warp…

Vq3b7MI.png

Edited by likke_A_boss

Ok, I'm having a new problem that happened for the first time. The mod disregarded whether I have a config for it or not, or whether or not I have them in a folder (like the old 2-5). And I even made cong files that say do NOT compress. And yet, It still makes a cashe and still compresses. And idea how to fix?

Examples:

My config

http://i.imgur.com/NFQNJAB.png

There's two things that don't look right there:

1. It should be ASET/folder/.*

2. Looks like you're missing a } at the end.

Also, if that doesn't work, try using compress = true. I think the scale = 1 means it isn't actually going to compress it, or it's just going to do work without any results.

Examples:

My config

http://i.imgur.com/NFQNJAB.png

The Cashe made while loading

http://i.imgur.com/LAkmSI0.png

Obviously compressed

http://i.imgur.com/LzXeDjU.png

Even The IVA RPMs

http://i.imgur.com/rLdFp6H.png

Even the ToolBar

http://i.imgur.com/PW0Ky4z.png

Even the Warp…

http://i.imgur.com/Vq3b7MI.png

You have several issues with your config.

If you don't want the textures handled, you can just remove the ASET.tcfg file and the folder will be ignored.

1) The config is missing a closing bracket '}'

2) the exception that you have there will ONLY use those settings for files in the ASET directory, not subdirectories. If you want all files in all directories handled, use ASET/.* instead.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Deltac. I also agree with him, you probably want to leave it to compress, that just changes the format to DTX. But you want the scale set to 1 so the resolution isn't changed. You also probably want to remove the "make_not_readable = false" line.

Edited by rbray89

The explanation under each of the Aggressive downloads sums it up quite nicely: https://github.com/waka324/TextureCompressor/releases/tag/2-15-aggressive

"Contains a config file for aggressive texture reduction (halve all textures, compress all non-normalmaps, and don't generate mip-maps for normalmaps)" Basic does none of these things. Basic simply does basic compression, shrinks & updates normalmaps a bit.

thx sorry btw. anyway what does the config files do and what do I do with them.

sorry if I got onto you the wrong way