[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

It seems I crashed while loading (Kerbin Cloud Textures) apparently due to lack of memory although I was using Active Texture Management :/ Will try aggressive version later maybe it will help me ....Funny enough error.log says 65% of memory (Icurrently only have so 65 isn't that much)in use but in output.log it clearly states System out of Memory.... Well probably only option now is to cut down my mod count even more ....

It seems I crashed while loading (Kerbin Cloud Textures) apparently due to lack of memory although I was using Active Texture Management :/ Will try aggressive version later maybe it will help me ....Funny enough error.log says 65% of memory (Icurrently only have so 65 isn't that much)in use but in output.log it clearly states System out of Memory.... Well probably only option now is to cut down my mod count even more ....

Definitely use the aggressive version as the basic version has a 30% or so increase in memory due to the mipmaps and some other changes. Also, depending on the specs of your computer, that may play a factor. (No need to go and say I have a beast computer if you do, I am simply stating a fact that in most cases play a factor). Also, one thing to try, load up the KSP Launcher (not KSP.exe, load Launcher.exe) and open the settings. Everything can stay max in most cases besides anti aliasing, resolution, and v-sync, but change the Texture Quality setting to Half Res. You won't notice much change in quality but it SIGNIFICANTLY reduces your memory usage. That and this mod Rbray has been so kind to make drastically improves overall memory and game performance even with the limits of the Unity Engine.

Definitely use the aggressive version as the basic version has a 30% or so increase in memory due to the mipmaps and some other changes. Also, depending on the specs of your computer, that may play a factor. (No need to go and say I have a beast computer if you do, I am simply stating a fact that in most cases play a factor). Also, one thing to try, load up the KSP Launcher (not KSP.exe, load Launcher.exe) and open the settings. Everything can stay max in most cases besides anti aliasing, resolution, and v-sync, but change the Texture Quality setting to Half Res. You won't notice much change in quality but it SIGNIFICANTLY reduces your memory usage. That and this mod Rbray has been so kind to make drastically improves overall memory and game performance even with the limits of the Unity Engine.

Yeah will try aggressive version later :D No I don't have a beefy computer (well not for now) but I know that doesn't matter much to the 32-bit restriction. Already set to Half Res :D But thanks for the help anyway

Yeah will try aggressive version later :D No I don't have a beefy computer (well not for now) but I know that doesn't matter much to the 32-bit restriction. Already set to Half Res :D But thanks for the help anyway

No problem. Can I suggest posting a list of your mods as well as the output log file for the crash so that Rbray can checkout? He may be able to provide more assistance for this matter. I myself can only suggest so much :P

No problem. Can I suggest posting a list of your mods as well as the output log file for the crash so that Rbray can checkout? He may be able to provide more assistance for this matter. I myself can only suggest so much :P

Yeah that will be the next step if the aggressive version won't help me too ;)

Another crash log.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xwjv88l28c5nm4g/zTRMtTbVOD

Found a second (older) Texture Replacer folder named VegaTech - deleted it and the cache folder under BoulderCo - did not help.

I am using only a few files for Texture Replacer (58,1 MB), the alternative cloud pack (bringing the cloud folder to 74,1 MB), but deleted city lights.

What is weird is, that I am not even using as much part packs as back in .22 - and that everything went smoothly still last week.

You say ATM increases memory usage again by adding mipmaps?

Edit: Somehow it worked finally.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sar4dn2t55uvluu/h_Th18pAiw

Edit2: Aaand, after flying a bit and editing here, crash to desktop when trying to go to the VAB.

It did not create a log this time ...

Edited by KerbMav

Another crash log.

Found a second (older) Texture Replacer folder named VegaTech - deleted it and the cache folder under BoulderCo - did not help.

I am using only a few files for Texture Replacer (58,1 MB), the alternative cloud pack (bringing the cloud folder to 74,1 MB), but deleted city lights.

What is weird is, that I am not even using as much part packs as back in .22 - and that everything went smoothly still last week.

it *Can*. If you are using the basic (not aggressive) config, and have lots of png based textures, it will generate them when previously they were not present.

Another crash log.

Ok, a quick update, I think I have found why there may be more crashes:

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/255555/d3d-failed-to-create-2d-texture-error.html

Because of the new caching mechanism, I'm creating new textures in memory and "deleting" the old ones. However, the link suggests this may not be working. I'll attempt to use the reference they provide and get back to you all when I'm done.

Great, looking forward to your next update! :)

Until then - which might have been the last "safe" release?

And to say something nice: As long as it worked, even basic made my game RUN during launch! :)

Lately it was down to half speed until up high (as long as Kerbin was in view).

Great, looking forward to your next update! :)

Until then - which might have been the last "safe" release?

And to say something nice: As long as it worked, even basic made my game RUN during launch! :)

Lately it was down to half speed until up high (as long as Kerbin was in view).

2-14, though normalmaps were off in that release.

2-14 shut me down as well yesterday - will try today without ATM, clouds and TextureReplacer.

You say it start slow the first time - what does it do? Does it create alternative files in the cache (and inflates harddrive used by KSP) or does it apply changes to the original files? Could these be kerbed and unusable now in some way?

2-14 shut me down as well yesterday - will try today without ATM, clouds and TextureReplacer.

You say it start slow the first time - what does it do? Does it create alternative files in the cache (and inflates harddrive used by KSP) or does it apply changes to the original files? Could these be kerbed and unusable now in some way?

No changes to original files in any way. Just creates the new cached versions in PNG format on the disk.

I got crashes too with ATM and VE. At first I thought it was the fact that I sued a HD pack for VE but normal VE v6.7 crashes also even if ATM is removed (No memory crash though, I will post the output.log when I am home) Once I even experienced a No response error which of course gave me no log. So I experience severe problems with VE and ATM . Hope the next version fixes it. Currently my KSP uses about 1.6 gig but when I could use ATM there would definetely be room for VE wiht HD pack and maybe even Texture Replacer...Hope the new version will fix it for me

Edited by DasBananenbrot

I have a fixed GUI Interim release now for those that want to test: https://github.com/waka324/TextureCompressor/blob/master/GameData/BoulderCo/Plugins/TextureCompressor.dll

I'll make a real release once it is stable and feature complete in ~1 Week. Until then, I'll keep posting interim dlls for those that want to help test.

EDIT: Might be good to let people know how to access the GUI... At the Main Menu right after loading, use ALT+M to bring the gui up.

Edited by rbray89

My report on version 2.15 basic config*(no mipmaps generation) is that it appears to be running fine. No crashes yet.ive been using it since it was released. I did have to change up the settings for the texturecompressor to get the pqs devbuild for the clouds&lights pligin to load the clouds correctly tho(left the whole textures folder readable instead of just kerbin1). Im currently testing a lot of textures so im loading ca. 1156 texture maps. Total memory use is around 2.7gb. Will try the new dev version soon.

I have a fixed GUI Interim release now for those that want to test: https://github.com/waka324/TextureCompressor/blob/master/GameData/BoulderCo/Plugins/TextureCompressor.dll

I'll make a real release once it is stable and feature complete in ~1 Week. Until then, I'll keep posting interim dlls for those that want to help test.

EDIT: Might be good to let people know how to access the GUI... At the Main Menu right after loading, use ALT+M to bring the gui up.

Incase anyone doesn't know, to download from the link, click the "Raw" beside the Open button with a PC image to its left. After downloading, replace the TextureCompress.dll in the BoulderCo folder you put inside your GameData folder for KSP.

My report on version 2.15 basic config*(no mipmaps generation) is that it appears to be running fine. No crashes yet.ive been using it since it was released. I did have to change up the settings for the texturecompressor to get the pqs devbuild for the clouds&lights pligin to load the clouds correctly tho(left the whole textures folder readable instead of just kerbin1). Im currently testing a lot of textures so im loading ca. 1156 texture maps. Total memory use is around 2.7gb. Will try the new dev version soon.

I weren't using the PQS dev build for Clouds and city lights but I also was crashing when kerbin 1 was loaded.

I weren't using the PQS dev build for Clouds and city lights but I also was crashing when kerbin 1 was loaded.

It's a collision between the two, but more of an issue with VE. I'm not checking if the textures are readable before trying to do stuff with it in that build. I need to fix that.

Okay, so I started up everything and it all loaded fine. I got to the main menu and noticed in the debug console that it was spamming the 000_Toolbar.tcfg does not exist. It was a nonstop spam fest (mmm spam). I reloaded KSP at an attempt to fix the issue. At first I thought it fixed it but as soon as I opened up the TC menu I got spammed. Now I know it is an issue because I clicked through the folder buttons in the menu and it spammed according to what I have selected.

cPdu3RN.png

Okay, so I started up everything and it all loaded fine. I got to the main menu and noticed in the debug console that it was spamming the 000_Toolbar.tcfg does not exist. It was a nonstop spam fest (mmm spam). I reloaded KSP at an attempt to fix the issue. At first I thought it fixed it but as soon as I opened up the TC menu I got spammed. Now I know it is an issue because I clicked through the folder buttons in the menu and it spammed according to what I have selected.

http://i.imgur.com/cPdu3RN.png

Stupid goof on my end. Missing the rest of the config path. Thanks. Do the memory reporting look correct though? You should have a button for each folder you have a config for. Everything else will end up under "UNMANAGED".