[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

It shouldn't be, but the images speak for themselves. The path is Steam/KSP/GameData/BoulderCo/textureCompressorConfigs. Most of the FASA stuff is fine, but the newest parts like the BigG, redone Gemini Pod, and the Agena have this persistent issue. Can you use the overrides folder setting to skip compressing the entire mod?

Sorry, juggling people... Can you post your log please?

I don't have FASA. The screenshot is just of the textureCompressorConfigs folder. The ones I added are PorkWorks, Radish, RLA, SCANsat, SDHI, and NearFuture. The SDHI is working, only the orbital orb in Porkworks is not working, RLA is just the linear aerospike and its still not working, the radish pod is not working, SCANsat is not working, and almost everything in NearFuture is not working.

hmm... can you post the PorkWorks config?

The textures look like they are being set properly. I'll have to download it to test it out.

hmm... can you post the PorkWorks config?

The textures look like they are being set properly. I'll have to download it to test it out.

Here

NORMAL_LIST
{
texture = PorkWorks/Parts/orbitalorb/model001_NRM
texture = PorkWorks/Parts/orbitalorb/model002
texture = PorkWorks/Parts/inflato1/model001
texture = PorkWorks/Parts/cetrifuge1/model001
texture = PorkWorks/Parts/cetrifuge1/model002
}

OVERRIDES_FOLDERS
{

}

After updating to 2.8 aggressive from 2.7 aggressive all the cockpit internals are incredibly blurry, especially the navball and altimeter. I can barely see the lines on it. I have no texture reduction packs and this happens both on stock squad internals as well as modded ones.

Edited by raidernick

hmm... I'm having a hard time with this one. Still working on it though. I Thought I got all The FASA parts though?

Not sure, but this is a tough bugger to crack.. thinking that it may be an oddball mod conflict, I completely reinstalled .23 from scratch and only installed 3 mods - This one, Clouds and City Lights, and FASA... the problem remains

I hope so, I'm out of ideas, and this mod is pretty much THE answer to the memory question if this can be squashed

haha... I really do wish KSP had this functionality built in. I hate working behind a black box too.

This is a fantastic project. Every day it seems I get a little more upset that Squad hasn't made creating a 64 bit version their #1 priority. I am at the point of cherry picking my most used parts from these packs and dumping the rest. I just installed this mod and it freed up 1192MB. However it caused the KAS winches and 6S Compartment Tubes not to load.

As is repeated ad nauseam, it’s a Unity limitation. Get upset with Unity instead, or send fifty million dollars in gold bullion to Squad so that they can hire enough people to implement their own engine. Maybe we’d get n-body physics and not-tree-based vehicles while at that. Maybe even ponies. And coffee machines.

This is a fantastic project. Every day it seems I get a little more upset that Squad hasn't made creating a 64 bit version their #1 priority. I am at the point of cherry picking my most used parts from these packs and dumping the rest. I just installed this mod and it freed up 1192MB. However it caused the KAS winches and 6S Compartment Tubes not to load.

Not having that problem, both the KAS winches and 6S compartments are visible and usable, for me.

EDIT: I've got 2.8 not 2.9, which did you grab?

Not having that problem, both the KAS winches and 6S compartments are visible and usable, for me.

EDIT: I've got 2.8 not 2.9, which did you grab?

Hmmm... I'll have to try KAS and 6S. I don't believe there is anything in there that would cause them to not load through.

Fixed and released. Turns out the textures I thought I was reading was just garbage... PorkPack also added to defaults.

The PorkWorks config is intended to be empty like this?

NORMAL_LIST
{

}

OVERRIDES
{

}

Also, I just tried out 2-9 Aggressive, and now I'm being told the ships I've built with the PorkWorks parts are locked and can't be loaded. I'm also seeing parts not being loaded now -- parts which were working fine before, like KSPX and HullCamVDS. Full log's here, but here's an excerpt:

[LOG 11:41:15.032] Load(Model): HullCameraVDS/Parts/Telescope/telescope
[ERR 11:41:15.382] Unsupported texture format - needs to be ARGB32, RGBA32, RGB24 or Alpha8
[ERR 11:41:15.395] Unsupported texture format - needs to be ARGB32, RGBA32, RGB24 or Alpha8
[LOG 11:41:15.401] Load(Model): HullCameraVDS/Parts/TelescopeLarge/model
[ERR 11:41:15.460] File error:
Texture 'HullCameraVDS/Parts/TelescopeLarge/model001' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Texture2D:GetPixel (int,int)
at GameDatabase.BitmapToUnityNormalMap (UnityEngine.Texture2D tex) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at GameDatabase+TextureInfo.get_normalMap () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at GameDatabase.GetTexture (System.String url, Boolean asNormalMap) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at A..ReadTextures (System.IO.BinaryReader br, UnityEngine.GameObject o) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at A..ReadChild (System.IO.BinaryReader br, UnityEngine.Transform parent) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at A.. (.UrlFile ) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
[WRN 11:41:15.469] Model load error in 'C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\HullCameraVDS\Parts\TelescopeLarge\model.mu'
[LOG 11:41:15.473] Load(Model): KSPX/Parts/Control/large_sasModule/model
[ERR 11:41:15.516] File error:
Texture 'KSPX/Parts/Control/large_sasModule/model001' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
at GameDatabase.BitmapToUnityNormalMap (UnityEngine.Texture2D tex) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at GameDatabase.GetTexture (System.String url, Boolean asNormalMap) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at A..ReadTextures (System.IO.BinaryReader br, UnityEngine.GameObject o) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at A..ReadChild (System.IO.BinaryReader br, UnityEngine.Transform parent) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
[WRN 11:41:15.525] Model load error in 'C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KSPX\Parts\Control\large_sasModule\model.mu'

Also, I just tried out 2-9 Aggressive, and now I'm being told the ships I've built with the PorkWorks parts are locked and can't be loaded. I'm also seeing parts not being loaded now -- parts which were working fine before, like KSPX and HullCamVDS. Full log's here, but here's an excerpt:

[LOG 11:41:15.032] Load(Model): HullCameraVDS/Parts/Telescope/telescope
[ERR 11:41:15.382] Unsupported texture format - needs to be ARGB32, RGBA32, RGB24 or Alpha8
[ERR 11:41:15.395] Unsupported texture format - needs to be ARGB32, RGBA32, RGB24 or Alpha8
[LOG 11:41:15.401] Load(Model): HullCameraVDS/Parts/TelescopeLarge/model
[ERR 11:41:15.460] File error:
Texture 'HullCameraVDS/Parts/TelescopeLarge/model001' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
[WRN 11:41:15.469] Model load error in 'C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\HullCameraVDS\Parts\TelescopeLarge\model.mu'
[LOG 11:41:15.473] Load(Model): KSPX/Parts/Control/large_sasModule/model
[ERR 11:41:15.516] File error:
Texture 'KSPX/Parts/Control/large_sasModule/model001' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
[WRN 11:41:15.525] Model load error in 'C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KSPX\Parts\Control\large_sasModule\model.mu'

Do you have those hullCamera parts in your configs? I'd be rather perplexed if you didn't.

Do you have those hullCamera parts in your configs? I'd be rather perplexed if you didn't.

Hmmmm... Looks like there *MAY* be one root cause of this. Try adding a blank KSPX.cfg and HullCameraVDS.cfg into the config folder. I think I see where the issue is resulting from.

Hmmmm... Looks like there *MAY* be one root cause of this. Try adding a blank KSPX.cfg and HullCameraVDS.cfg into the config folder. I think I see where the issue is resulting from.

Thanks. I didn't because I didn't need it for either of them with 2-8. I'll try that later on though.

Empty config files are a little counterintuitive, but no big deal.

I tried adding a blank HullCameraVDS.cfg and it made the game completely. refuse. to. load.

That said, the HullCamera parts load fine for me.. but no KAS winches, and no 6C

Edited by Bloodbunny