[0.23.5] Realism Overhaul: ROv5.2 + Modlist for RSS 6/30/14

NathanKell

The default RCS propellant is hydrazine, which follows a normal flow logic. So yeah, it's a feature. But you can change this if you want. There should be another monoprop with all_vessel flow.

Ok thank you, i just wish there was a note in description somewhere so i would not have to find out in orbit. Even the stock op reaction wheels would not help me there because i use RCS for ullage thrust before ignition.

I just found out that the "initial dry mass" of all tanks are way over exaggerated.

I'm trying to make the Falcon 9 v1.1 and I managed to get the same thrust and burn time for both stages but the TWR is 1.0 for the first stage and 0.7 for the second stage.

The only explanation I could find is for the dry mass being too much. It cannot even get it's weight to LEO. Did you guys notice that?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/268/qt7y.jpg

For example for this 52 ton tank, the dry mass should be around 5 ton and not 20 ton. When I correlate values with the default tanks it gives me around 10.4% ratio dry mass to total mass. Now I understand why I couldn't get into orbit despite building more powerful rockets. :D

While it is possible he has some numbers wrong, Nathan did a crap load of research and a lot of fine crawling over numbers.

Ok thank you, i just wish there was a note in description somewhere so i would not have to find out in orbit. Even the stock op reaction wheels would not help me there because i use RCS for ullage thrust before ignition.

I noticed that the Stratus II radial RCS tanks do give that information, but the Stratus V's do not. Always test on the ground. :)

This feature has actually led me to mostly avoid the radially mounted RCS tanks. Given that we're using RealFuels, I just allocate a small portion of a main tank for Hydrazine or MonoPropellant, or whatever my RCS system requires. It saves parts, time, and is prettier.

You should not be using Modular Fuel Tanks. Only Real Fuels. If you have MFT installed, delete it.

That's what I did and seems to work fine now. Though I did think it had something to do with rounding errors so I tried to fix it by adding "f" to this line on TankTypes.cfg:

basemass = 0.000267f * volume

Wedgenet: the reason for deleting those files is that the realistic engine configurations (RftS, and the default SFJackBauer RealEngines as soon as SFJackBauer has time to upload the current version) do (or shortly will, respectively) come with their own engine ignitor configs.

I had kinda forgotten that RealEngines didn't come with EI configs right now; sorry. For now I guess your best bet is to use RftSEngines...

junkie_business: make sure you redownload it regularly; I'm often changing and improving things. Last update about 3 days ago.

tygoo7: thanks! Dragon01 was working on the American Pack; eadrom had a good ocnfig for Kethane that lets the converters produce RF resources. Which habitat pack?

palker: Feature. Monopropellants other than MonoPropellant itself are set to STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH rather than ALL_VESSEL, which means they need a fuel connection. This is because most of those resources double as oxidizers, and you wouldn't want to drain your upper stage when burning your booster! Anyway, I do plan to (once I get a chance) write a little plugin that will enable crossfeed between a radial tank and the stack it's connected to.

Devinci: you have a broken install. Delete any ModularFuelTanks or RealFuels folders in GameData, and reinstall the latest RealFuels. Also, given that the example you were showing was of a fuel tank, I have no idea why you were trying to edit the solid fuel tank_definition; I'm also not sure whether it will correctly parse things if you stick characters into it, so please don't. :)

Anyone got real engine MM configs for Laztek's SpaceX pack? Or do I have to rescale them & copy/paste the MM configs for the other SpaceX packs engines?

Scripto23 has been working on it. Look a few pages back. I can't search for it right now, but if you don't find it i'll follow up later.

tygoo7, I actually had a config that rescaled that habitat pack, but deleted it when I removed the mod. It's super easy to do though so I can remake it and post it here later today. Just need to change the rescale factor and increase the mass.

MAKC, you can find the download link for the Realism Overhaul config for the SpaceX pack in my sig. Eventually it will be included in the Realism Overhaul pack too. Though I'll be updating it later today to fix some issues, so keep a lookout for that.

tygoo7, I actually had a config that rescaled that habitat pack, but deleted it when I removed the mod. It's super easy to do though so I can remake it and post it here later today. Just need to change the rescale factor and increase the mass.

MAKC, you can find the download link for the Realism Overhaul config for the SpaceX pack in my sig. Eventually it will be included in the Realism Overhaul pack too. Though I'll be updating it later today to fix some issues, so keep a lookout for that.

How convenient. Thanks.

Wedgenet: the reason for deleting those files is that the realistic engine configurations (RftS, and the default SFJackBauer RealEngines as soon as SFJackBauer has time to upload the current version) do (or shortly will, respectively) come with their own engine ignitor configs.

I had kinda forgotten that RealEngines didn't come with EI configs right now; sorry. For now I guess your best bet is to use RftSEngines...

Thanks. I will install RftS from here and use that instead. Is that what you meant, or should I only be using the RftSEngines.cfg from that pack? Also, does that mean that I should not be using the SFJB Realengines configs at all?

That is indeed what I meant, although the engines cfg is really all you need (unless you want the flags or nosecones or other stuff from the pack). And yes, you should delete the SFJBRealEngines folder before installing RftS.

Sorry, I'm confused. First of all, there aren't any txt files. Second of all, it's perfectly possible to play with both RftSEngines *and* the FASA pack and FASA patch from the second post. I sure do.

No.. argh goddamn it, sorry for confusing everyone. Just not paying attention to what I write, what I meant was making the FASA engines compatible with RftSEngines because they aren't right now.