[0.23.5] Realism Overhaul: ROv5.2 + Modlist for RSS 6/30/14

NathanKell

RealEngines 0.5

Nathan, I've just uploaded a new set of cfgs, please include in the next RO, but I am posting here so people can start using it right away.

Changelog

- Finished coverage of stock Squad engines.

- Finished coverage of NovaPunch mod.

- Fixed attachment node on Aestus.

- Added :Final to rescale cfgs.

- Added fix for right-click on VAB the craft mass goes NaN.

- Fixed (again!) temperatures - no more Soviet engines blowing.

- Added the following real engines:

-- KB Yuzhnoye RD-855

-- KB Yuzhnoye RD-856

-- NPO Energomash RD-120

-- NPO Energomash RD-253

-- RKK Energiya RD-58

-- Rocketdyne H-1

-- Rocketdyne LR-89

-- Rocketdyne LR-105

Updated engine list, download link and instructions on my signature, or this post.

RealEngines 0.5

Nathan, I've just uploaded a new set of cfgs, please include in the next RO, but I am posting here so people can start using it right away.

Changelog

-- KB Yuzhnoye RD-855

-- KB Yuzhnoye RD-856

-- NPO Energomash RD-120

-- NPO Energomash RD-253

-- RKK Energiya RD-58

-- Rocketdyne H-1

-- Rocketdyne LR-89

-- Rocketdyne LR-105

Updated engine list, download link and instructions on my signature, or this post.

Wohoo :D that is awesome . Thanks SFJackBauer

RealEngines 0.5

Changelog

-- KB Yuzhnoye RD-855

-- KB Yuzhnoye RD-856

-- NPO Energomash RD-120

-- NPO Energomash RD-253

-- RKK Energiya RD-58

-- Rocketdyne H-1

-- Rocketdyne LR-89

-- Rocketdyne LR-105

Thanks! Just one suggestion:

Please add the following code to all the AIES engines(they tend to rip rockets apart without it):

%crashTolerance = 7
%breakingForce = 800
%breakingTorque = 800

*CREDIT: Scripto23

RealEngines 0.5

Changelog

-- KB Yuzhnoye RD-855

-- KB Yuzhnoye RD-856

-- NPO Energomash RD-120

-- NPO Energomash RD-253

-- RKK Energiya RD-58

-- Rocketdyne H-1

-- Rocketdyne LR-89

-- Rocketdyne LR-105

Sounds great!

However,

As better 3D models of real engines becomes available, they will be used as best as possible.

I think frizzank's FASA H-1 is a better model for the H-1 than the Mainsail.

In addition to the fixes for the AIES engines' spontaneous combustion problems, I noticed the RS-25D engines(single mount from NovaPunch, I forgot the original engine name) don't actually have any gimballing. I had to manually give them gimbal to get them to do anything. It's terrible launching a 1,600-ton rocket with a 12-ton Lunar payload and realising it has no engine/gimbal control.

Here's the rocket:

TvYa1vd.png

Once I lift off I have no gimbal control with the RS-25d engines I use. I added gimbal to them afterwards with 10 degrees in the rescale cfg. It worked like a charm.

Sounds like you're not doing it the same way I was in FASA.cfg.

I can't show you exactly since I deleted it when it didn't work, but at one point I copied a part in your FASA.cfg and substituted the PLF plate information. I've done this for an SRB and an LFT previously and it worked. Of course it was a complete guesswork, but it worked.

When I use scale = 1.2, 1.2, 1.2, though, the game freezes when loading the part on startup. When I just have scale = 1.2, it comes out way oversized like in the picture I posted. I've tried editing the 'native' cfg, which gives the same result.

@PART[FASAFairingsPlate2m]:Final
{
@MODEL
{
scale = 1.2, 1.2, 1.2
}
@scale = 1.2
@mass = 0.2 // guess....
@maxTemp = 1450
@title = Resized PLF
@description = Resized PLF

}

Thanks! Just one suggestion:

Please add the following code to all the AIES engines(they tend to rip rockets apart without it):

%crashTolerance = 7
%breakingForce = 800
%breakingTorque = 800

*CREDIT: Scripto23

Well, looking at other engine packs, they seem to have values much greater than those, so I applied to all engines:

- crashTolerance = 60

- breakingForce = 100000

- breakingTorque = 100000

Let me know if this cause problems. Download the cfgs again at the same link.

No Engine Ignitor yet? Awesome nevertheless! Keep it up! :)

Soonâ„¢ :) Really, I am behind the curve on this one, but now this is the next thing in the backlog to be done.

Wohoo :D that is awesome . Thanks SFJackBauer

Glad to be of service :)

Sounds great!

However,

I think frizzank's FASA H-1 is a better model for the H-1 than the Mainsail.

Absolutely - let me explain.

First, I have reorganized my "spreadsheet" to be able to easily apply the stats to more than one part. You see now some of the engines are duplicated, for example, if you have KW there is a better representation of the RL10, but if you don't, the RL10 is also available with the same stats in the body of the "Skipper". So there is no impediment at all to add support to the beautifully crafted FASA H1.

Second, and this is just an organizational thing, I steered away from FASA as Nathan was maintaining the rescaling for it, and I couldn't handle more work anyway. Now that my backlog is being reduced I could look into adding those and others.

In addition to the fixes for the AIES engines' spontaneous combustion problems, I noticed the RS-25D engines(single mount from NovaPunch, I forgot the original engine name) don't actually have any gimballing. I had to manually give them gimbal to get them to do anything. It's terrible launching a 1,600-ton rocket with a 12-ton Lunar payload and realising it has no engine/gimbal control.

Here's the rocket:

http://i.imgur.com/TvYa1vd.png

Once I lift off I have no gimbal control with the RS-25d engines I use. I added gimbal to them afterwards with 10 degrees in the rescale cfg. It worked like a charm.

Oh crap... I set those to use the gimbal from ExsurgentEngineering. So if you don't have the plugin, you don't have gimbal. Just download the cfgs from the link again and it will be fine. Nice SLS by the way ;)

RealEngines 0.5.1

- Added attributes to all engines to help prevent unplanned rocket disassembly.

- Fixed gimbals for RS-25D.

Well, looking at other engine packs, they seem to have values much greater than those, so I applied to all engines:

- crashTolerance = 60

- breakingForce = 100000

- breakingTorque = 100000

Let me know if this cause problems. Download the cfgs again at the same link.

Thanks for the fix man. Much appreciated.

Oh crap... I set those to use the gimbal from ExsurgentEngineering. So if you don't have the plugin, you don't have gimbal. Just download the cfgs from the link again and it will be fine. Nice SLS by the way ;)

I should probably get Exurgent anyway. Thanks, but it's not a terribly accurate recreation. The payload fairing is only 8m wide(instead of 8.4m) as the fairing bases cannot rescale(I really wish we get that feature sometime). The payload is also only 61 tons to 320km x 320km. not terribly efficient.

Does anyone have some RO probe engines? I am trying to do a Martian lander, but the smallest engine I have that provides me with more than 1Kn of thrust is the Aestus. Needless to say, WAY too big. Unfortunately I can' find anything that will fit it without uninstalling the RealEngines and reinstalling Stockalike. Anything? (Also, I am having problems with the LazTek pack. If you can go over to Lazarus's thread and have a look I would appreciate it.)

Just to let you know, the current standard for roll control gimbals is Dtobi's Space Shuttle engines mod. :) It does everything EE does, and more. We're using it for FASA, among other things.

Just to let you know, the current standard for roll control gimbals is Dtobi's Space Shuttle engines mod. :) It does everything EE does, and more. We're using it for FASA, among other things.

How does it compare with Honeyfox's take on gimballing?

Dtobi's had a weird visual glitch, but is generally fine. It can handle engine pitch trim, response time and roll control. EE is outdated and rather limited, it only handles response time and roll control. It also has problems with odd engine arrangements. HoneyFox' is tweakable-based, it handles roll control and trimming (I think), but it doesn't seem to be able to control response time. It's also annoying to set up, because there doesn't seem to be a way to enable roll control by default.

junkie_business: that cfg *looks* correct. You say it freezes on startup? Can you close it when it freezes and then post your KSP/KSP_Data/output_log.txt for me to look at?

SFJackBauer: awesome! I'll put this in the next RO.

Uh, regarding crashTolernace and breakingForce/Torque, you really should probably stay with the values ANWRocketMan/Scripto suggested; crashTolernace = 60 means the engine can hit the ground at 60m/s without breaking, and breakingForce/Torque that high may do odd things to KJR. Ideally you'd keep crashTolerance at 7 or 8, and scale bF/bT with part size/mass. Stretchy uses approx 970 * part.mass ^ 0.37, for instance, so 800, rising to 3000 or so for a 10t engine, sounds about right.

Deathsoul097: with RealEngines your best bet is clustering LV-1/LV-1R/Des-T5. To get the same thrust as the Viking lander you'd need 8 of them. (Although...Viking used hydrazine monopropellant, so you could use a bunch of linear RCS ports.)

Dragon01: EE is actually freshly updated (via the link in the OP) which is why I'm using it now); its advantage over dtobi's KM_Gimal and HoneyFox's tweakable gimbal is that it is not (or seems to not be) tied to engine local orientation, which means that engines with flipped gimbal transforms (like, say, the NP2 K-2X model) will work properly out of the box, whereas they don't without some effort for the other gimbal plugins (aka "why are my controls inverted!!!11one"). You're right it doesn't support trimming, though, and both other gimbals support inverting so that that issue can be fixed when it appears...

My version of RE (SFJackBauer's. I don't normally update mods once I install them, even if there is an update, unless there is a major, game breaking bug.) doesn't support them. It has support for KW, AIES, NP2, but no probe size engines other than the 0.4 and 0.8 engines from AIES. The next smallest then is the LMAE. That thing is WAY too big.

Edited by Deathsoul097

Then...you really might want to reconsider your no-updates policy. :P

Especially since I (and every other modder I can think of) will not support users running non-current versions of our mods.

Regardless, you *do* at least have those linear RCS thrusters.

Hi, I'm having a problem that's I've tracked down to this mod pack, where I'm unable to take science data from either the mark 1-2 command module or the mark 1 lander can. It works if I remove this mod, stops when I re-add the latest version. Anyone else having this? Is there something with the .cfg file I can fix?

edit: I found the problem, the range is too low for the rescaled pods, you need to add something like this for each of the squad pods. :

@MODULE[ModuleScienceContainer]

{

@storageRange=3

}

Edited by whorlwind