[0.23.5] Realism Overhaul: ROv5.2 + Modlist for RSS 6/30/14

NathanKell

Out of date responses, GO!

The Destroyer: If you want to play with a tech tree, you need RPL + RftS Engines. Medieval Nerd is planning to eventually make a fork of his RPL for RealEngines, but that time is not now.

Hodo: very possible to move the base and the old KSC. Add more PQSCity nodes to the Kerbin PQS node (next to the one for KSC) and change the latitude and longitude of the PQSCities you want to change.

Regarding solar panels: KSP does change power output based on distance; RSS replaces all solar panel power curves with a decent approximation of the inverse-square law.

Lord Aurelius: Did you ever get your install straightened out? We're hoping to have a detailed install guide for RPL soon (that will work for RO too obviously), and get the Mod Bundler back up and running to do it all for you.

RaccoonTOF: If you get RE updated, send me it? I'll change the link. Also, coldblade2000, if you're reading this, how did the adding-EI-support go?

The ModuleManager reporting an error is totally harmless (it isn't even an error, per se, MM just doesn't know what to do with the line). If you must change it, replace the // with foo (do NOT make it apply to the part; it's disabled for a reason). That said, I will shortly release a fix in the next RO so your errorlog will be clean.

Finally, for folks using Mission Controller, here is a patch designed to give fuels their real cost. When I designed the cost system I (roughly) assumed a "k" was $1000US; in this patch fuels have their 1960 cost; engine costs should also be quite close (engine costs dominate stage costs; I was unable to find costs for engines, but I seem to be able to model the cost of stages decently).

So...if folks do use MCE, please try out the patch and see how the costs go (whether rocket costs, and in particular the sub-categories, match 1960 costs). I plan to include it in the next RO (so stick the file in the RO folder).

I'm having some issues transitioning my save game from .23 to .23.5. I've noticed that some of my craft do not load properly. Here's the unity logs and craft file for my ship. I believe I have all the mods that are attached to this craft installed. Any advice would be appreciated.

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/3ea5bf524b2d0b924e93

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vt8zt3c8d974b96/Ganymede%203_1_2.craft

Only non-standard mod is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2xvar9p9453so6k/CECE.cfg

Also, I notice that Kerbal Joint Reinforcement isn't on the list of recommended mods, but I had to install it to get stage joins to be at all stiff.

earlier probs with wac solved but now RSS is not loading. still have kerbin system and kerbin instead of earth.

any ideas ive done complete reinstall etc and tryed new carrer game etc and nothing works

Oh, also I noticed that the real fuel click-to-fill-tanks link sometimes fills with the wrong fuel. If you go into "show gui" and then click the appropriate fill button it works, but if you click directly from the right-click-on-tank menu, it chooses the wrong one. Here's a super simple example craft: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mn0t3kvcgatfd4u/Simple%202%20Stage.craft

When you click on the top tank and fill with hydrolox it instead puts kerolox in there.

Nathan, thanks for all the support you has given me. This pack has re-ignited my love for KSP, and now i can't stop playing it!

Really loving it, even with the few bugs i've found. Thanks!

Last thing for now, I notice that procedural fairings still let's you size bases with keyboard OR the new UI, but procedural tanks has removed the keyboard shortcuts. Could we get those back? I find them much faster to mess around with when I'm just going for ballpark sizes.

sit rep ............. Griffin Kerbal Monkey now very happy ....i have got everything running ! ............all correct probes and all experiments working !!!!!!!!! ............not sure what i did however i did stop installing mods after i installed Mechjab on the essentails list . ive now made copy of game . Now i plan to add the other mods that are listed one by one to see which one causes the problems ive been having ................will advise soonest of progresss............out

Phredward: Does the autoconfig button on the Action Groups interface also sometimes get it wrong? Or only the tweakables button?

O Nerd: Awesome! Great to hear. :)

Phredward: Stretchy tanks uses only keyboard. Procedural Parts, developed by swamp_ig as the successor to Stretchy, does have a different UI; I suggest posting about it on his thread.

griffin247: Could you please speak in (comprehensible) English? Roleplaying is against forum rules, and quite apart from that can make it hard to understand.

Furthermore, can you explain somewhat more what you think the issue with KOSMOS is? Certainly I am using it with RSS and everything else, and not having problems.

Not sure if this has been brought up or not, but I found some syntax errors in brooklyn666's RT2 config file that prevented either of the Giga-Dishes or any of the probe cores from being correctly configured for the add-on. I've corrected those and thought I'd share it back up here. All credit for the original file goes to brooklyn666, I just added a couple of brackets and filled in one missing part name.

Here's the file

EDIT: Be warned... apparently fixing those omissions also fixed a whole lot of parts in RO. I had to add about 50 parts individually in my research screen after this change. My thinking is that when MM hit the incorrect lines, it just skipped the whole rest of the folder for some reason.

Edited by SpacedInvader

Why is this happening to me every time i install this mod? I installed everything absolutely properly. Any engines i have don't work and look like they are turned on in editor.

jvzoUOfZuBoht.png

Phredward: Does the autoconfig button on the Action Groups interface also sometimes get it wrong? Or only the tweakables button?

O Nerd: Awesome! Great to hear. :)

Phredward: Stretchy tanks uses only keyboard. Procedural Parts, developed by swamp_ig as the successor to Stretchy, does have a different UI; I suggest posting about it on his thread.

griffin247: Could you please speak in (comprehensible) English? Roleplaying is against forum rules, and quite apart from that can make it hard to understand.

Furthermore, can you explain somewhat more what you think the issue with KOSMOS is? Certainly I am using it with RSS and everything else, and not having problems.

i will try to explain. i have everything installed from the mod list up to and including Mecjab. if i install anything else from the list from that point either i lose the ability to perform the experiments ( they just dont show up on the probe pop up) i only have the ability to gather data.

also i will lose RSS everything reverts to the stock solar system and i cant see the space center. its either one or the other or both of these problems

other issues include ALT + N not work so i can see clouds at the moment i cant see cloads let alone cities or lights.

what height does space high start ? i know space low is 180KM

i will try to explain. i have everything installed from the mod list up to and including Mecjab. if i install anything else from the list from that point either i lose the ability to perform the experiments ( they just dont show up on the probe pop up) i only have the ability to gather data.

also i will lose RSS everything reverts to the stock solar system and i cant see the space center. its either one or the other or both of these problems

other issues include ALT + N not work so i can see clouds at the moment i cant see cloads let alone cities or lights.

what height does space high start ? i know space low is 180KM

ok i am now able to report that i have fixed all my issues apart from being able to see clouds but i will search for the correct thread to find the answer.

@NathanKell: Since upgrading to v5 yesterday, I tested my TAC Life Support but I ran into a problem where Real Fuels list two Oxygen tabs. The result is that whenever you try to add Oxygen, the tank gets a negative mass of like 600,000tonnes. Yet no volume is used and no Oxygen resource is added

I narrowed it down to Realism Overhaul causing this. I checked the .cfg's and found that the RedAV8R configs contain an entry for Oxygen. I removed that but it only fixed the problem for my custom ServiceModulePod tank type. The standard service module tank type still lists two Oxygen tabs and the accompanying mass/no resources problem.

Any ideas?

I dont know why my RCS doesnt work, i have installed rcsFX and set the propellent to hydrazine but it doesnt work!

All the RCS thrusters that uses any fuel except monopropellant needs to be attached directly to the tank that contains the RCS or to a part that has that fuel fed into it.

Alright, to be honest: I didn’t read the whole thread(s) of all required mods since they are quite long ;) However, I used the forum search and Google but didn’t found solutions. I’m posting here since it’s all somehow related to RO, blame and move as you wish.

So without any more ado, here are my questions & problems:

• RealFuel:
    • Some fuel types are not used at all but LiquidFuel and Oxidizer still are?
    • Is it possible to change the resources of a tank in flight? Like starting with kerosene and filling it with something else from a space station once up there.

[*]Engine Pack (SFJackBauer's): [not sure if related to the engine pack or another mod] I sometimes let MechJeb do maneuvers like a circularization after ascend. With the new engines as soon as the autopilot kicks in the engine (itself, I suppose thats the gimbal?) start to ‘rotate’ making the whole vessel which was perfectly stable before wobble. That seems to be a MechJeb related problem but maybe someone has a solution?

[*]Environmental Visual Enhancement Addon: the clouds are working fine but the city lights are in the middle of the Atlantic?

[*]Launch Sites: I see the cfg file defining several launch sites, but I don’t know how to change my KSC location?

[*]Orbits: Can I use the real-world values for orbits like found on Wikipedia or is there a list of them somewhere (since the 70k of Stock Kerbin is definitely not enough)?

[*]The limited Engine ignitions of the ‘Engine Ignitor’ mod is a bit too realistic for me (especially since I’m using MechJeb for some maneuvers that doesn’t work well). Is it possible to use RO without it though it’s listed as required?

[*]Procedural tanks: is it intentional that fuels which need insulation or a pressurized tank can be used in any tank?

Any help will be much appreciated!

I started with KSP less than a week ago and going (somewhat) realistic is my next step after learning the basic gameplay mechanics. I already see the potential, thank you for the great work!

Edited by marce
found a button :)

I installed the soviet engine pack. Just have a problem. All the engines can be ignited more than once and they have really high isp compared to german, british and american engines from other packs (NP, KW etc). Is this normal. Installed the Reach for the Stars pack.

Good point about no engine ignitor support for them. I'll get on that. As for their Isp, they're modern engines, i.e. TL6/TL7. Have you been setting the tech level for the other engines as appropriate? (Note that in RftS most engines start out at low techlevel, but you can increase their TL to 7 [modern era] or anywhere in between. See the RF FAQ for more info on tech levels.)

Only the tweakable button gets it wrong. Using the Action Group editor or the "show gui" button both handle it correctly. As a side note, the "show GUI" button opens on the far, far right, which makes scrolling mess with staging, and makes it impossible to tell which engine corresponds with which fuel mix.

I will post in the other thread about the new tanks, thanks!

My original post awaited moderation so it may have been overlooked. It would be nice if someone could take a look.

I’d like to add that I apparently made a mistake resulting in far too large engines (most of them, some look fine). That may be completely reality conform, I’m just wondering since it doesn’t correlate with weight/thrust. If it is ok, what engine should I add to a 1.25m tank for vac maneuvers?

Please see the pictures below (the LV-N and the Coxwain look normal for me):

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Thanks!