[0.23.5] Realism Overhaul: ROv5.2 + Modlist for RSS 6/30/14

NathanKell

Did you grab the latest RSS_Resources.cfg as well. There are some Tank definitions in there used for both Atlas and Saturn.

Honestly I need to do something with that, because while in theory it's a good idea (to me at least), in practice too many people have had issues.

Did you grab the latest RSS_Resources.cfg as well. There are some Tank definitions in there used for both Atlas and Saturn.

Honestly I need to do something with that, because while in theory it's a good idea (to me at least), in practice too many people have had issues.

I thought I did because the one on my computer was dated a day after the on in your thread, but I guess that fixed it. Thanks for the help.

I see btw what you mean about the FASA being scaled better. The SLA from OLDD, while way cooler, leaves a gap around the base of the SM rather than fitting snug.

Edited by SpacedInvader

Yeah, I've got a hold of DennyTX and he has agreed to making a new version that fixes that gap, and a few other small fixes here and there. Hopefully I'll get him to leave the panels as a separate piece so that we can get a true separation instead of the animation.

I really wished there was a downloader and installer for all these plugins, I think that is the only real reason I have not gone back and redownloaded them all after my hard crash a month ago.

Aren't the hinged doors historically accurate?

Well...yes...to a point. Originally, they were hinged to begin with, but after some thought, and practice there was concern that they might get in the way, so they were redesigned that once past 45 degrees open, the doors unlatched and were able to float freely away that after pulling away and flipping around their wouldn't be any more concern of them in the way.

Finally starting to get the hang of this, I think. Here's my first few launches, three of which made it to orbit.

edit: and it seems the album isn't showing up... standby.

Okay, well here's the link to the album then. *thwacks forum* http://imgur.com/a/eb4Dx#0

Oh, and this is only counting launches from the current career mode save I started after sorting out installation problems I ran into. Total launches... I've probably tried around 20, maybe 4 of those previous launches even made it out of atmo. Yay rocket disintegration.

Edited by xandalis
technical difficulties.

So, I recently installed all of these mods, and I decided to go up into space. After coming down, everything was going fine and dandy, until I saw this:

http://imgur.com/B3Z6tOB

http://imgur.com/KDPPvhp

I think this is a texture problem, but I'm not sure what's causing it, that's why I'm posting it here. Does anyone know how to fix it?

(Yes, by the way, that is a heat shield surfer.)

Nice!

Hmm, I wonder what ascent profile you're flying, since that *first* rocket you have a picture of should be able to achieve orbit...

- - - Updated - - -

xandalis: Nice!

Hmm, I wonder what ascent profile you're flying, since that *first* rocket you have a picture of should be able to achieve orbit...

ThePinda: known issue with EVE. The next EVE (Overhaul) will fix it. For now, raise the altitude level of your clouds to at least 10000.

xandalis: Nice!

I lost control a few times, and lost a lot of dV to corrective maneuvering, it was a bit on the over-wobbly side. Managed to keep it from disintegrating though. Wound up with a 690-something km apoapsis and 100 dV left while the periapsis was still sub-orbital, while at about 230km up.

The second launch I ran into a similar issue, but still got enough science out of the probe's in-atmo experiment. Third launch I finally had RCS available for designing, which greatly helped the late 2nd stage ascent control.

I suspect I'll have one or two more "start overs" before I get a better idea of just what I should be aiming for on the RPL tech tree...

So, I recently installed all of these mods, and I decided to go up into space. After coming down, everything was going fine and dandy, until I saw this:

http://imgur.com/B3Z6tOB

http://imgur.com/KDPPvhp

I think this is a texture problem, but I'm not sure what's causing it, that's why I'm posting it here. Does anyone know how to fix it?

(Yes, by the way, that is a heat shield surfer.)

I think that has to do with Enviornmental Visual enhancements and the cloud layers.

To fix go into ksp/gamedata/boulderco/clouds

then open the cloudlayers.cfg (I use notepad++ to edit these)

Search for "kerbin" then find the line "altitude = 4000" Change the 4000 to whatever you like. I have mine set at 13000 because that is the Max height for clouds here on earth. I am going to bet that every altitude line will need to be changed somewhat for every planet. But I have no idea what to change them too.

I have a problem... When i'm launching my rocket the heat keeps building up. It doesn't cool down at all after shutdown. My Launch stage has a D4-2 Engine and when I launch I see the heat building up to a point when it should explode. But instead of exploding all i hear are some explosion effects and the heat resets to 0 just to start over.

In my orbit injection stage i have a LR37 engine and it keeps building heat and explodes. The same thing happens with the LR21 and LR32. There's no way to keep it down and after i've shut it down the heat stays exactly where i left it!? I have no clue what is the problem...

Questions in a compact form:

1. Why is the heat reseting after the simulated explosion?

2. Why isn't the heat decreasing after shutdown?

3. how come the D4-2 resets after the simulated explosion but the LR37, LR21 and LR32 explodes in vacuum?

4. Has this something to do what stretchy tank I use (Baloon, Cryogenic, service module etc.) ?

5. Do I have to add a sort of coolant to my Rocket?

Mod list:

Toolbar

Active texture Management

AIES

B9

Beastly science

EVE

Chatterer

deadly reentry

Dmagic orbital science

Enhanced Navball

FASA

FAR

Safechute

Improved chase camera

Rasterprop Monitors

KAS

Kerbal joint reinforcement

KWRocketry

Mechjeb2

NASAMission

Dockingport Alignment

Finalfrontier

NovaPunch 2

Procedural fairings

Realchute

Realfuels

RSS

Remotetech 2

RTFS

RPL

SCANSAT

Squad

StretchyTanks

TAC (lifesupport and Fuelbalancer)

Treeloader

KerbalAlarmclock

Tweakable gimbal

Tweakscale

Vesselview

Upload your output log (NOT ksp.log) to dropbox or something.

Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt

Mac OSX: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log Aka Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log

Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log

So I'm having some difficulties getting RO working!

I had a setup with a fair few mods including RSS and PP, wanted more realistic rocket performance, do away with the game-crashing mountains. Downloaded RF, it made all the tanks have the same capacity regardless of size and did nothing to the engines' fuel requirements. Thought I might be missing something so I installed all the required mods for RO, plus RO itself. Then every single part in all the tabs vanished from the VAB!

Trying to rectify the situation, I stripped out everything and reinstalled only the required mods for RO, plus RO itself. There are still no parts whatsoever in the VAB.

Can anyone help!?

Ok since I can't find a Launch Escape system for the MK1_2 Pod I decided to use the resized Nova Punch ones, take away it's mass in the RFTS configs and give the Novapunch launch escape nosecone all the 4 tons of mass (roughly Apollo LES euqivalent). I do that so the Launch escape performs a nice dart light flight with the COM in front and the majority of the drag in the back.

Now here is my problem. I want the Tower to keep its Real Fuels configs, but I don't know where in the RFTS configs i need to change something to completely take away the towers weight while its still filled with solid fuel. Excuse the horrible formatting.

@PART[NP_LES_EscapeTower_Large]:Final //NP Large LES

{

@description = Medium-large LES for 3+ person capsules. 2M mount point.

@mass = 0

@maxTemp = 1800

@rescaleFactor = 4.16

@MODULE[ModuleDecouple]

{
@ejectionForce = 250
}

@MODULE[ModuleEngines]

{
@maxThrust = 890
@heatProduction = 275
@atmosphereCurve

{
@key,0 = 0 198
@key,1 = 1 180
}

!PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel] {}

!PROPELLANT[Oxidizer] {}

!PROPELLANT[MonoPropellant] {}

PROPELLANT

{
name = SolidFuel
ratio = 100
DrawGauge = True
}

}

!MODULE[ModuleEngineConfigs] {}

MODULE

{
name = ModuleEngineConfigs
techLevel = 0
origTechLevel = 0
engineType = S
origMass = 0 configuration = SolidFuel
modded = false
CONFIG

{
name = SolidFuel
maxThrust = 890
heatProduction = 275
PROPELLANT

{
name = SolidFuel
ratio = 1
DrawGauge = True

} IspSL = 0.9
IspV = 0.9

}

}
!RESOURCE[LiquidFuel] {}

!RESOURCE[Oxidizer] {}

!RESOURCE[MonoPropellant] {}

!RESOURCE[SolidFuel] {}

!RESOURCE[XenonGas] {}

MODULE

{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
basemass = 0
volume = 843
type = Solid
TANK

{
name = SolidFuel
amount = full
maxAmount = 100%

}

}

!MODULE[ModuleEngineIgnitor] {}

I basically put a 0 everywhere where the word mass stands (I know this is a stupid solution but i tried to test for results). The Outcome didn't change mass, and the LES full with solid fuel still does have a significiant mass. How can I take away ALL of the mass?

Now my second problem. I created the following cfg to resize the Novapunch nosecone for the LES. The mass change seems to work, but the resizing not. How do I change the size of the Nosecone so it can fit on the LES?

/ NP_LES_RCS_nanocone rescale

@PART[NP_LES_RCS_nanocone]
{
@rescaleFactor = 4.16
@mass = 4

}

BombastixderTeutone: First, it's not really safe to set a part's mass to 0. Set it to something like 0.0001. Also, recall that solid fuel is itself heavy, and 843 units of it are going to mass about 1.5 tons. If you want your fuel to actually provide thrust, it's gonna need mass. You could of course give your engine an insanely high Isp, and then decrease the amount of SolidFuel contained, I guess...

However, you generally *want* an unstable configuration for your escape tower, since you want not just to be lifted *up*, but *away* from the stack, since otherwise (if in flight) it may hit you, or (if from the pad) you want to land outside the radius of the explosion and fire and toxicity.

As for the scaling: check the original part's cfg. It may not already have a rescaleFactor. If it doesn't, then (a) you need to insert rather than splice (so no @) and (B) you might need a value other than 4.16 (since if rescaleFactor defaults to 1.25, then changing it to 4.16 will not lead to a part that's 4.16x as large, but one that's 3.3x as large).

Vigelus: as RedAV8R says, start fresh, install just the base dependencies of RO, and then start adding extra mods one by one. As soon as something breaks, post log.

I'd like to share what I just found as a working MJ ascent profile for a ~1.7 TWR LV, tested to 1000km. Manual settings for ascent profile: turn start at .5; turn end 180; final angle -2; turn shape 75%; Corrective steering off. Lifted periapsis to about 400km before it coasted for circ burn. I'll see how well it handles lower final alt launches, but I'm happy I found something I can use within my current tech constraints.

RedAV8R - thank you for the offer. I've managed to get things working again for now. Just hope they don't release 24.0 and break everything before I get to Europa...

I do appreciate all the work you and other have done - realism / real solar system (which I think of together) are really very impressive - so good that the stock game is pretty unplayable now. I don't know how many of the people working on this are aerospace engineers, but it looks remarkably accurate.

Any chance of collaboration between the various authors of the RO, RSS modules? Does KSP allow you to sell add-ons? I can imagine that there would be big problems deciding how to divide revenue since the different modules represent very different amounts of work.

Maybe you could have the RO thread list a set of versions known to work together? Even that may not be simple since I think the install order may make a difference.

Maybe a subset of module writers could agree to work together?

This wouldn't be so frustrating if the RO stuff wasn't so good......

Jobin & frisch: Sorry you feel this way. Will say, this is the RO thread, not RSS. Sure downloading everything can take time, then somebody updates something, which requires somebody else to update theirs etc. It's a never ending battle to stay completely up to date.

Absolutely cooperation would be an awesome thing in unicorn land. There is a program out there, not working, but being updated last I heard which 'bundles' everything together. The problem is everybody has their rights to their own stuff, so unless a person aquires permission from everybody involved, releasing a bundle on their own would be grounds for legal action. Same reason you don't see some 3rd party bundle in one box Windows, Office, Acrobat, and AutoDesk.

Tell you what, if you'd like, I'll send you a PM with a list including links of everything you need basic to get started and we can go from there.

Frisch: Everybody feels your pain to a certain extent.

On my thread I may take that suggestion and post the current version of each dependency for RSS/RO...

After working on RO configurations for RSS for a while now I completely agree, stock KSP is not unplayable, but doesn't have the immersion that RSS and RO does.

Like I mentioned before I believe a lot of people, sometimes myself included forget that KSP isn't 'done' yet, so if KSP isn't, how can modifications be 'done' either, that said, everything to this point is freely available. Perhaps when things are final, people like NathanKell can have one download for all of their mods, or even better have the 'reality' pack which includes everything. That is still all way down the road.

I think that has to do with Enviornmental Visual enhancements and the cloud layers.

To fix go into ksp/gamedata/boulderco/clouds

then open the cloudlayers.cfg (I use notepad++ to edit these)

Search for "kerbin" then find the line "altitude = 4000" Change the 4000 to whatever you like. I have mine set at 13000 because that is the Max height for clouds here on earth. I am going to bet that every altitude line will need to be changed somewhat for every planet. But I have no idea what to change them too.

Regarding Eve/Venus, I'm setting that one to 68km, as the general info I'm seeing puts the "max" average altitude for Venus as between 60km and 70km, with higher ceilings at up to 80km on the night side. Should be interesting to see once I get out there...

Not sure if it fits here, but I was talking about reentry control with a friend of mine who is a propulsion engineer at NASA. He said that some of the Mars landers used droppable tungsten weights to create an off-center CG for a lifting reentry, then drop the extra weight to bring the CG to center again for landing. As inefficient as is sounds, dropping 10s of Kg of tungsten on Mars was the best answer.

Right now the only way I've found to to a gliding reentry is with big gyros - which I think are a bit unrealistically strong anyway. It might be useful to have small dense weights that cold be put on decouplers.

BTW -are there instructions somewhere on how to create new components for KSP? Rather than just complaining about how difficult it is to set up RO / RSS, I'd like to help.

Not sure if it fits here, but I was talking about reentry control with a friend of mine who is a propulsion engineer at NASA. He said that some of the Mars landers used droppable tungsten weights to create an off-center CG for a lifting reentry, then drop the extra weight to bring the CG to center again for landing. As inefficient as is sounds, dropping 10s of Kg of tungsten on Mars was the best answer.

Right now the only way I've found to to a gliding reentry is with big gyros - which I think are a bit unrealistically strong anyway. It might be useful to have small dense weights that cold be put on decouplers.

BTW -are there instructions somewhere on how to create new components for KSP? Rather than just complaining about how difficult it is to set up RO / RSS, I'd like to help.

I believe the LackLusterLabs mod has weights in it that you could fish out of the pack and install, if you were so inclined.