[0.23.5] Realism Overhaul: ROv5.2 + Modlist for RSS 6/30/14

NathanKell

Love this mod! Couple of questions:

What modifications should I make to the interstellar mod for it to work with the power system in RO?

Also, are the velocity curves on Ferram/B9 jets actually realistic? Having to carry 5k+ dv makes SSTO's that can go past LEO a pain :(.

Finally, are the changes to nukes in modular fuels really realistic? I mean, the inability to carry extra nuclear fuel completely gimps them. Should I modify them to make them actually usable? (turn up mass and amount of nuclear fuel or something?)

Is anyone else seeing massive wobblyness between Procedural Fairings' interstage piece and large-diameter stretchy tanks? My guess is it has something to do with the interstage's connection joint being "small" size (which I'm guessing doesn't scale up when it's enlarged to match the stretchytank), and possibly interactions with Kerbal Joint Reinforcement (which I'd bet looks at the joint connection size). Aside from the usual ugly struts, is there a workaround for this?

You need the latest Procedural Fairings: for that, node size does scale. However, there is an issue with StretchyTanks and KJR, which I am trying to fix over the weekend.

That said, I use a Saturn IC (a IB with an F-1A and a monobloc first stage tank), i.e. 6.6m ~400t stretchy first stage, and it seems to work ok. I haven't tried Saturn V-class yet though.

You need the latest Procedural Fairings: for that, node size does scale. However, there is an issue with StretchyTanks and KJR, which I am trying to fix over the weekend.

I've got v2.4.2 of Procedural Fairings which appears to be the latest. So this is just whatever issue you've found with StretchyTanks and KJR?

ChronicSilence: Cilph said he was about to change the format of the file, so warned us not to include it.

darcgecko: Thanks!

You should get the patch for KSPI I posted near the end of the MFS thread; it will come standard with MFS v3.4. Fractal_UK changed things in 0.8.1 such that compatibility is easily done.

The velocity curves are if anything over-generous; it requires us to believe that the jets in KSP/B9 are full-on turboramjets, i.e. turbojets that can switch to ramjet mode (even more of a hybrid than the SR-71's btw, which max out at Mach 3-4 IIRC). Of course, the jet engines also mass a fraction of what they should; quite of the reverse of stock rocket engines.

You need MFS v3.3, which does exactly that to NTRs. The fuel should last for a year or two, I think.

Ok, where is the table-flipping icon when we need one... oh here it is.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡ââ€Â»Ã¢â€Âââ€Â»

And I was typing ONE BY ONE... sorry I feel so ashamed I will bury my head in the toilet now.

Well... not so fast. Its not perfect, it doesn't have mass or exact dimensions, or serial numbers... :D

And most of the same-engine iterations will be taken care of by tech levels, this also reduces the number quite a bit.

Edited by SFJackBauer

Scaling note: The RealChutes mod does not have anything that properly fits on top of the rescaled Mk1 pod. Those chutes might be a good target for a rescaling in the .cfgs or however that's done.

Edit: Well heck, none of the non-radial RealChutes fit the rescaled Mk1-2 either. Those definitely need rescaled versions. The radial ones are fine as-is.

Edited by jrandom

ChronicSilence: Cilph said he was about to change the format of the file, so warned us not to include it.

I had read previously that there was a bug with using the "NathanKell_MultipleAntennaSupport" -- would you advise not to use that yet?

What about the idea of making ability for some engines to be activated (or not) out of atmosphere, like the real prototypes?

It will bring some of necessary micro-management to vessels planning.

Has anyone been able to create an SSTO yet with this mod?

I have tried several times and haven't even made it out of the atmosphere, much less orbit. Much more difficult than in stock!

What about the idea of making ability for some engines to be activated (or not) out of atmosphere, like the real prototypes?

It will bring some of necessary micro-management to vessels planning.

There's an engine restart limiter mod out there, but I can't remember the name. Is that what you're looking for or am I misreading the question?

Didn't see that, will try to find, thanks.

But I meant not restart limit, only starting ability.

Some of engines cannot be activated in space, but for now we can burn with powerful first stage engines on orbit.

Yes, we can ignore it, and drop 1st stages in atmosphere, but... ))

You can, in theory, set the igniter to only work on the pad, but I've had bad experiences with it. Note, while you can burn a 1st stage engine in orbit, there's no point to it, really. They're inefficient in space, so that's bad engineering to put them on an upper stage.

They're inefficient in space, so that's bad engineering to put them on an upper stage.

1. "Parts are wobbly". That is why I'm trying to use as many connections as it can be, even with JointReinf. mod. And almost all of my heavy multistage projects were failed ))

2. With massive ships you will not able to circularize orbit (before falling down), yet you will have enough thrust, even with 10k ISP. So they're very efficient in space for large ships.

Still, a 1st stage engine is a different thing than an upper stage one. Sure, it's not like upper stages don't need thrust at all, but TWR is a secondary concern. Using a 1st stage engine on an upper stage isn't efficient at all, in most cases, you could circularize with either a proper, dedicated upper stage engine (even if it has low thrust) or, failing that, multiple ones. You can circularize well past Ap, Soyuz and Atlas V both do that.

I have tried several times and haven't even made it out of the atmosphere, much less orbit. Much more difficult than in stock!

There's an engine restart limiter mod out there, but I can't remember the name. Is that what you're looking for or am I misreading the question?

Yeah I've been trying to build a ssto using B9 and can get up to mach 5.5 at 40km than when I switch to rockets, for some reason I get asymmetric thrust.

Yeah I've been trying to build a ssto using B9 and can get up to mach 5.5 at 40km than when I switch to rockets, for some reason I get asymmetric thrust.

Finally made a hop out of the atmosphere, but still not nearly enough delta-v to make orbit. I'm starting to think I should drop these LiquidH2 SABER engines -- any plane made with strictly that fuel will be way too large by the time it can support enough delta-v. :(

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Try adding a ModuleFuelTanks module to the procedural wings part, with a ridiculous volume and a basemass of -1. Then give it an appropriate fuel quantity ingame. That's a quick hack to allow fuel in wings, which you'll probably need for an LH2 SSTO.

The 2m chute should fit. It's now 2m-4m.

Although, you might like the way I did it for the Saturn IC (see the RSS thread in Spacecraft Exchange): you use a proc interstage to extend the pod nose, so it fits a 1.25m docking port; inside the fairings you stash 3 radials, a drogue, and some RCS.

Finally made a hop out of the atmosphere, but still not nearly enough delta-v to make orbit. I'm starting to think I should drop these LiquidH2 SABER engines -- any plane made with strictly that fuel will be way too large by the time it can support enough delta-v. :(
Javascript is disabled. View full album

I made it to 200km but not enough fuel left to circularize.

Do the B9 saber engines have accurate ISP values for atmo and vaccuum? I don't think they are....

The 2m chute should fit. It's now 2m-4m.

Although, you might like the way I did it for the Saturn IC (see the RSS thread in Spacecraft Exchange): you use a proc interstage to extend the pod nose, so it fits a 1.25m docking port; inside the fairings you stash 3 radials, a drogue, and some RCS.

This is the MK-1 (with a base of 2m and a top of... not really sure. Slightly smaller than 1m), not the Mk1-2 (top of 2m, bottom of 4m). The 1-meter chutes are just a little too wide. Makes it look like the pod is wearing a hat.