Greetings fellow space travelers!

Liowen

I have recently picked up KSP (well I have had it for nearly a month now to be honest), and I am enjoying myself out among the stars. I have found some videos that helped me find my way into building effective rockets, and I tweaked them a bit to use the lander can as I like those a bit better.... better windows. Currently I do not run mods on the, but I do have MechJeb and Protractor downloaded but I have only used them while practicing and not on my actual missions. I have done 2 Mun landing and a Minimus landing (one of the mun landings and the Minimus landing are on my youtube channel), but I am having difficulty going further. The major problem is making a ship that can both travel to other planets, land, and return without docking. Why no docking you may ask....well short answer is I do not feel confident doing that yet.

But that might be for a different thread.... Any help would be welcomed as I know some have been playing for a lot longer than myself. Also, unless I make a signature tonight, if you want to see my terrible videos I have made so far I will send the youtube link in a message, or post it this thread if it is ok to do so.

I leave you with my very first successful, though awkward, Mun landing. :cool:

6q0x.png

Before they introduced docking parts, we used to fly multi-ship missions. For example, a one-way lander and a non-landing recovery vehicle, so one ship didn't have to be capable of both functions. It's A LOT of work, though, especially getting multiple ships to arrive at around the same time. You're better off learning to dock. :) You might try practicing with this trainer I made. it's two ships in one launch, so you can practice separating them and bringing them back together, without having to fly a second ship all the way from the Launchpad to orbit.

I will have to look into that trainer. I wonder if an unmaned pusher docked with a lander might be doable. Basically a probe with atomic engines and lots of fuel to push the lander to the next planets orbit, and the lander docking refueling before returning home.... or planet hop before heading home (Kerbin to Duna then to Eve then to Kerbin). Now I am in trouble as I have ideas, and those can always be bad! Thanks for the help.

I have had great success with sending a new transport stage to the next destination ahead of time, or even just a dockable orange tank with a nuke engine for refueling. Having fuel waiting for you in orbit when you reach a new destination makes a kerbol system tour so much easier.

Good luck :)

I have had great success with sending a new transport stage to the next destination ahead of time, or even just a dockable orange tank with a nuke engine for refueling. Having fuel waiting for you in orbit when you reach a new destination makes a kerbol system tour so much easier.

Good luck :)

Well I do some videos of my attempts, and I figure the launching bit is very repetitive so having a tug in space will make life easier. I will also just send up refueling missions once it returns to Kerbin, most likely switch out the crew for other missions and returning the one who landed back to Kerbin. 700NitroXpress on here was kind enough to help me on bettering my design of the lander, and now it is atop its tug waiting to go into space. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59747-My-single-crew-Duna-Lander-in-need-of-help/ is where my lander talk is going on right now, and everyone here has been very helpful showing me how I over planned the design. Below is the current state of the test vehicle, since I will not be home for most of today and tomorrow the project is on hold but always in my head. Not sure yet how I want the main lifter system to work, but it will come to me I am sure.

vtj5.png

Hehe, very cool looking :)

In one of my saves I put a 7 orange tank refueling blob in low orbit around each planet I visited. I never emptied any of them, so it was good to know that I always had some extra fuel wherever I went.

Yeah I am thinking of doing that and have a couple of docking ports and "escape pods" for returning Kerbals to take back to the surface. The pods I will launch up after each mission with new crew so I do not have to do those on the videos.....but that is for a later thing I may just crash the tug into Kerbin for now until I make the refueling station, I may put that into a geostationary orbit, or not as I have not decided or designed that yet. I did have to break down and use MechJeb for docking for the time being as I do not feel that confident with my skills yet.