Jebediah Corliss Kerman...Grinding the Crack Challenge

inigma

Come on, you know you wanna...

Challenge is to grind the crack...getting as close to hitting the ground (grinding) without actually smacking your Kerbal into dust using the closest orbital periap using nothing but a Kerbal (preferably).... double points for flying below nearby ground level (like through a canyon or obvious valley) (the crack). Triple points for doing more than one Kerbal at the same time (formation flying). Trajectory must be orbital or planetary flyby.

1. Grind Award: recorded stable orbit or flyby trajectory with periapsis recorded: 10 points

2. Formation Flying Award - independent participants: 20 points per controllable ship, EVA, or probe.

3a. Grinding the Crack Award (station or ship and single EVA through valley, or canyon): x2 points

3b. or...Grinding the Crack Insane Formation Award - multiple independent participants grinding a crack (ship and station docking sequence, or more than one EVA): x3 points (all participants must survive)

4. Master of the Arch - any surviving controllable participant surviving an orbital velocity pass through any enclosed space: x4 points

Tied scores will be be further ranked by thrill value calculated as highest orbital speed divided by lowest altitude recorded where highest final value wins (screenshot/video required of apoapsis on map, and altitude meter at closest approach from Kerbal viewpoint).

Example: Someone pilots a ship through a canyon, and goes on free drift EVA just prior to entering periapsis through the canyon. Points: 10 for stable orbit, 20 for one EVA = 30 points, x3 for multiple independent participants = 90 points. He ties his score with another contestant. Ranking then follows orbital speed: 2500 m/s vs 1100 m/s and altitude: 1.2 km vs .5 km calculated thus: 2500/1200 = 2.08 vs 1100/500 = 2.2. The second contestant wins.

Rules:

1. Any planetary body is allowed.

2. Use of Kerbal Engineer Redux recommended to record real altitude (and thus get a higher score)

3. HyperEdit is allowed to test approaches but not for the actual recorded attempt.

4. No modification of planetary bodies or physics.

Quicksaves are generously encouraged.

Submission Requirements:

1. 2 screenshots: (A) one of your orbital or planetary flyby trajectory with periapsis (B) one of your altitude either sea level or radar altitude in IVR or with Kerbal Engineer Redux, and surface speed.

2. or a video showing the above.

Leaderboard:

name points thrillvalue

90 points 4718m 1470 m/s Thrill Value: .31 (Estimated Alt: 500m Estimated Thrill Value: 2.94) (Grinding the Crack)

210 points 1,366 m 1,377.5 m/s. Thrill Value: 1.008 (Grinding the Crack Insane Formation)

Edited by inigma

I did a challenge which involved low orbits,I put this into a terrifying orbit passing through a valley.

1JLAHf9.png?1

View from the ground at furthest passing.

zeHTGAA.png?1

EDIT:won't work now Eeloo has little terrain variation though.

Edited by Spartwo

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. So this challenge is to make a station in the lowest orbit you can through a moon without an atmosphere? I think so, but I just wanted to be sure.

Yup. Double points for dipping through a canyon or valley. Triple if you also EVA muliple Kerbals or dock while traveling through said valley or canyon.

Edited by inigma

OK! I've got my video ready. I can't believe I have to wait till tomorrow to make a submission. :sticktongue:

I'll post it as soon as you open the challenge.

EDIT: Perhaps I should ask before I make my submission...

You see, while I was performing my return into Kerbin's atmosphere after successfully having "grinded the crack," my RealChute parachutes would simply not deploy! They just refused (I think it was an incompatibility with FAR or something). Therefore, I turned on Hack Gravity to let the atmosphere slow me down to around 11 m/s before hitting the water. I never used the Debug Console before that. Could you make a one-time excuse for me since it was just some kind of bug and I didn't use Hack Gravity for anything else?

If not, I'll re-fly the mission (and probably using stock KSP).

Edited by Andrew Hansen

Just a suggestion about the rules. The thrill value is ranked by how high it is. However, the higher the speed, the lower the thrill value is. I think it should be the other way around - that the thrill value should be ranked by how low it is.

Or how about the thrill value is calculated by periapsis PLUS highest orbital speed. That way it would make sense that the higher the score, the more thrill you get! Bigger is better, as usual. :)

A few examples: Let's say I have a periapsis of 200 meters and a top speed of 2,000 m/s. That would give me a thrill value of 0.1 - definitely not very good. If I get a periapsis of 5,500 and a top speed of 550 m/s, then my thrill value is 10. So obviously it's more thrilling to go really slow and really high than really low and really fast. I don't think that's what you meant.

Edited by Andrew Hansen

What score do we get if we clip the ground, survive, and return to Kerbin? Mathematically, the thrill factor there is infinite.

If you clip the ground, then the one who clips the ground fastest wins. There is always a bigger thrill. :) The math would be speed/1 at that point.

That might be a good idea. The altimeter measures how high off the ground you are, right?

Yup it measures how high off the ground you are. If you can get an altimeter reading, it will be lower than your recorded periap, and will up your score greatly. So yes, Ill be accepting altimeter readings if you can acquire them reliably. You could use a mod for this if necessary.

Edited by inigma

I was actually doing a standard moon mission when i thought about doing this challenge instead, so i quickly filmed my approach and am submitting it here, i'm not sure i conform to the Challenge rules as i've not read the OP carefully, but I think it's a cool little video regardless:

Periapsis: 4718m

Above Ground: no idea (a lot less)

Speed: ~1470m/s

I was actually doing a standard moon mission when i thought about doing this challenge instead, so i quickly filmed my approach and am submitting it here, i'm not sure i conform to the Challenge rules as i've not read the OP carefully, but I think it's a cool little video regardless:

Brilliant!

GuzWaatensen

90 points: 10 for stable orbit, (orbital or escape velocity) + 20 points for one EVA = 30 points total x3 for grinding crack = 90.Thrill value .31 since you didn't get an actual radar altimeter reading, however I left in a best-guess 500m grind since in the video you can clearly make out rocks on the surface which is viewable from at least 500m. Feel free to use a mod next time to display radar altimeter value during EVA to gain higher score. Great vid though. Had me breathless on that approach for a while.

To encourage more submissions, I'm actually thinking about removing the requirement for no HyperEdit of one's orbit on the actual submission. Thoughts? I was able to successfully orbit through the Mun Arch.

Hehe... I pinholed the Mun Arch... and survived. :) I have more details to work out to repeat it easily, and when I do, I hope to post a vid and submission. The arch is easy. Surviving the next 3 seconds after it is not. There is a sudden encounter with the next mountain. It's exhilarating to pass through the arch, but freakin' scary to see you wizz by 3 seconds later by the north mountain with single digit meters to spare as you see your Kerbal and your Kerbal's shadow practically meet up for a hair raising moment. I managed to send a 3 kerbal ship and EVA through at the same time and survive... but repeating the feat is very difficult. In short, it's a double-grinding the crack event... 3 seconds spaced from each other, the second one the scariest of them all. I'm tempted to do a south-direction polar orbit instead to buy a few seconds of planetary rotation in my favor...

Edited by inigma

• 4 months later...

will be giving this a shot (excuse the unintentional pun!) at some point, just trying to clear the rest of my tech tree in current career (which is involving my current mission to Moho, then Eeloo) and then will be submitting pics when done... don't have the facilities for video right now, but once I'm sorted will be able to post vids again :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.