[0.22-0.23.0] Delta-V Maximization Challenge

mhoram

Welcome back lump. This challenge is scored on vacuum dV according to MechJeb on the launchpad, not remaining once in orbit (practically speaking the latter is probably more useful though). You posted two on-orbit pictures, did you mean for the first one to be on the pad?

He he thanks, it's been a while, and yeah probably.

In other news my duna SSTO craft fell a tad short, turns out on the surface it still had a TWR of only 0.78 so i couldn't lift of without the inefficient engines, o now i got it stuck in orbit with 370 m/s fuel. should be an easy fix though, just change some things around.

fhpP3OJ.png

hAPbcZi.png

wCvQcxd.png

aPNYXzn.png

Edit: ok i can get an improved one to orbit with 3700m/s delta-V, godam heavy parachutes.

Edit Edit: ok got one with 4000m/s orbiting now, should be enough hopefully.

Edited by lump

Wow, while I was away, there were incredible new designs. Respect to all participants!

With the release of 0.23 I will have a look at the new behaviour of parts and physics and see if it makes sense to keep this challenge alive.

@TUFOM

@TUFOM

Sorry, but your submissions lack a screenshot of the ship in orbit to prove that it is stable enough.

@obi_juan

Great stats of this entry! As the battery on stage 0 is a hinderence and no advantage, I will accept this submission.

@dcethe

Nice ship! Could you please provide the information, how much mass ths ship consists of?

@obi_juan

Even better stats.

@tavert

I would like to see this design become reality ;)

@TUFOM

Thanks for the submission. Looks good!

@totalitor

Very nice! Especially the large dV amount in the first stage.

@Nao

We have a new leader!!! Very amazing

@lump

Sorry, but your sumbmissions lack screenshots from the ship on the launchpad, so I can not verify the stats.

This challenge is scored on vacuum dV according to MechJeb on the launchpad, not remaining once in orbit (practically speaking the latter is probably more useful though)

You are right that the dV in orbit is probably a more useful stat, but my previous Payload-fraction challenge already used ascent optimization techniques for the best submissions and I wanted to make that factor less important in this challenge.

Edited by mhoram
fix typo

He he no it's fine, i wasn't technically entering anyway, i just wanted to see if i could out SSTO tavert, i hope one day we will out SSTO each other into higher and higher delta-V values, driving development and all, on the pad it says something like 6000 anyway because i just use good old turning off engines over what tavert uses, which does it automatically.

Edit: ok can get a probe SSTO to orbit with 4500m/s now 5000 here i come.

Edited by lump

Hello,

I had build a low TWR craft. The delta-v is not that spectacular, but I still want to share some images:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

parts: 120 + 12 launchclamps(not necessary, but I wanted to see if it drops a bit)

vacuum delta-v on launchpad: 26745

vacuum delta-v in 100km orbit: 21150

min TWR: 0.14 in orbit, 1.02 on launchpad

Mechjeb gets the craft into a 100km orbit without issues. I only had to tune the ascend path a bit, because the TWR is too low for the default 40% turn shape value.

I guess another ring of engines in the first stage could bring this craft to more competitive levels - or it will break apart in flames.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.