(Noob) How to build pre-connected docking ports.

I'm sure this is a total noob question, but I can't figure it out. I have searched the forums using site search engine and Google, and I've read everything about it on the wiki.

How do I build a spacecraft with docked sections? I've researched specialized construction and have the first clamp-O-tron docking ports but I can't figure them out exactly. I can put each of them on something, but I can't seem to figure out male or female, or putting two together. I'm trying to build a lander that's docked like Apollo missions. I think I might be missing something obvious. Any help here would be appreciated.

P.S. Just started playing this game. It's so @#$@ amazing, like really, WOW.

Edited by 2-Zons

Hi 2-Zons :)

Treat them much like decouplers, you just need two facing each other, the side with the hatch, window and little yellow handle is the front and they are androgynous meaning there's no male and female ports.

Something to know though, you can't dock a craft to itself in the editor, meaning you can have a part with 2 ports and another with 2 ports but you can only make one port attach, every part can have only one parent part, it's how the game works.

Docking ports are androgynous. You just have to place them facing each other and they will dock. You can also, while in VAB, use them like standard decoupler by stacking things on top of them.

For Example.

70t5.png

In the picture, between the space lab mock up and the CSM is the smaller docking port.

Wow, thanks for the quick response. I think I've got it. I'm suprised they dont' snap very easily. Even putting them on a module, they don't snap, they can be built misaligned.

What is the difference with the shielded docking port?

To easily snap them, you have to put your camera to the side so the surface isn't visible, only the node. Bam! Snapped. Frustrating, I know. The shielded port can't be used like that, because it has to be opened first. I imagine with tweakables, you'll be able to open it in the VAB :)

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.