Kerbalnaut Classes

Just thinking. what if our little kerbalnauts had classes like in rpgs. Where they would gain levels and small advantages with each level.

Jeb: Test Pilot, allows engines to be slightly more fuel efficient

Bill: Scientist, gains a small increase to science points gained for being on the vessel.

Bob: Lucky, slightly increase to crash tolerance of parts.

Any other ideas?

This link is from the Orbiter forums. It is a thread started by our very own Harvester back in June of 2011. In it I think I remember reading that loose classes were considered at least from the beginning. In fact, the "Bads" Modifier for different Kerbonauts is a carry over from that idea. It is supposed to represent pilots who are always happy when flying (That's why Jeb rarely frowns)

As for if that is still the case is anyone's guess. Remember, that thread was started over 2 years ago. A lot has changed. I wouldn't be surprised though.

training kerbals is supposed to be added at some point. They could always change their minds of course but if they don't we'll be able to train our kerbals to do things. There may or may not be a class system as part of that. Personally I'd prefer there not to be any classes and just have skills you can mix and match.

I've never cared for class-based systems. They were fine until I played my first RPG without classes (Fallout 1.) Since then, being forced into a set class has been a huge turn-off and ruined what otherwise could have been great games. I would prefer to be able to train my Kerbals how I want them.

I agree with metl, classes feel very gamey and constricting.

I would prefer aa system like ultima, fallout or arcanum where you have a limited number of points you can spend on skills. Want to put everything in piloting, here you go, want to spend half on repairing, half on science, sure, etc.

Here's a few ideas for classes, followed by some brainstorms as to what they would do. I suppose they would be differentiated by the colour of the stripe on the helmet, similar to how the later Apollo A7L space suits had a red stripe on the commander's suit.

-Test Pilot: basically Jeb. they would be better at handling G forces, and increase the amount of science from recovering a vessel. Orange stripe.

-Commander: increase the class abilities of all other kerbals in the same capsule. red stripe.

-Scientist: increased amount of science from crew and eva reports (not from instruments, because it would make probes even less useful), but lower speed when running in EVA, because they don't get out much. Blue stripe.

-Engineer: faster at repairing broken spacecraft parts (Repacking chutes, changing tires, and so forth). if it ever becomes possible to add struts in flight (for space stations and such), this would be the guy to do it. Yellow stripe.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.