Better "Aeris 4A" SSTO. [Challenge]

Which craft resemble better stock "Aeris 4A" SSTO? (Public poll)  

1. 1. Which craft resemble better stock "Aeris 4A" SSTO? (Public poll)

• SIREN 5
    • Aeris 4A - Aerospike Edition
    • Mig-29 SSTO mk2.1
    • Supreme-SSTO
    • None-above

@sploden: I'm not good in flying your craft. End up have to use the RCS gas to circular the orbit. However, Light, Fast and Powerful...could suit your craft nicely.

Yeah, it takes a bit of practice to fly the tiny ones. If you do what the SPH description text says, it might work better. I had about 35% of my liquid fuel left over after achieving 70km orbit. If you drain out some of the oxidizer beforehand it might be easier, although I didn't do this to create my entry screenshots.

SPH Description Text:

-1. EVA Kerbal; seat him in command seat.

0. Push 9.

1. Push space, push 2, and throttle up.

2. Point straight up.

3. Change vector to 10 degrees inclination and 90 degrees heading at 10km.

4. Change vector to 0 degrees inclination and 90 degrees heading at 25km.

5. Throttle down to keep the jet engine running as atmosphere runs out.

6. When apoapsis and/or orbital speed stop increasing, turn on rocket engine.

7. When throttling down no longer keeps the jet engine and rocket engine running at a high enough TWR, turn off jet engine and throttle up to 100%.

8. Raise apoapsis to 70km and cut rocket engine.

9. Create a circularization maneuver node.

10. Align spaceplane prograde toward maneuver node indicator.

11. When the time to maneuver node equals half the node's burn time, throttle up.

12. Follow the maneuver node as ability allows.

13. When 10% of the maneuver node burn time remains, throttle down to approximately 10% to increase precision.

14. Cut engine when periapsis is 70km.

Regarding #3, this works better if you start turning towards 10 degrees well before you reach 10km altitude, in order to utilize the greater pitch authority from the thicker atmosphere. Try to build up as much speed as possible using the jet engine. 2000m/s is a good goal; YMMV. "Vector" is referring to the vector indicator, not your angle of pitch.
Build by advance user for advance users.
:)

Side question, why are the octagonal and cubic octagonal struts not allowed? It's an interesting design challenge, but I'm failing to see the reason, as all it does is add weight by requiring larger solutions, such as the Radial Attachment Point I used on my spaceplane, which is 40 times heavier than the Octagonal Strut.

Side question, why are the octagonal and cubic octagonal struts not allowed? It's an interesting design challenge, but I'm failing to see the reason, as all it does is add weight by requiring larger solutions, such as the Radial Attachment Point I used on my spaceplane, which is 40 times heavier than the Octagonal Strut.

Nothing much. Cubic octagonal simply too powerful... It gives too much 'freedom' to design stacking RAM air intakes.

And about that...Vector... where is that...vector indicator?

Nothing much. Cubic octagonal simply too powerful... It gives too much 'freedom' to design stacking RAM air intakes.

And about that...Vector... where is that...vector indicator?

Maybe I'm calling it something it isn't... I'm referring to the prograde indicator, the green yellow circle on the navball.

Edited by sploden
color correction

Is it just me or is this just a re-branded, stricter BSC challenge for the Aeris 4A.

No that's about spot on, and was mentioned earlier in the thread. This challenge is different enough that it stands on its own. However it does feel like you could just take half the BSC Aeris 4 entries and tweak the parts slightly and resubmit them for this challenge...

No that's about spot on, and was mentioned earlier in the thread. This challenge is different enough that it stands on its own. However it does feel like you could just take half the BSC Aeris 4 entries and tweak the parts slightly and resubmit them for this challenge...

I don't think I would post anything like what I posted here in a BSC Aeris 4a challenge. If and when Xeldrak posts that challenge, I will create a completely different craft that is suited to the BSC guidelines. (Actually, I already have created such a craft; just waiting for that challenge to come along. :))

Edited by sploden

So this is like BSC, but instead of being about making a new stockish craft (i.e. it's good for beginners), participants should make it more advanced?

Yes. From advance maker to advance user. Design your best SSTO with rules to follow.

I like how Octagon voted for his own

"Mine's the best, motha@%#7as!"

What can I say?

Sherlock Holmes mode ON:

This is , unquestioningly, a far superior spaceplane them its counterparts. The undisputed evidence is that it has, until now, nearly half of the votes. Regardless, it will be a interesting competition, since all the others has incontestably qualities.

Sherlock Holmes mode OFF

:D:D:D:D:D:D

What can I say?

Sherlock Holmes mode ON:

This is , unquestioningly, a far superior spaceplane them its counterparts. The undisputed evidence is that it has, until now, nearly half of the votes. Regardless, it will be a interesting competition, since all the others has incontestably qualities.

Sherlock Holmes mode OFF

What can I say?

Grammar fix mode ON

This is, unquestionably, a far superior spaceplane compared to its counterparts. The undisputed evidence is that it has, until now, nearly half of the votes. Regardless, it will be an interesting competition, since all the others have incontestable qualities.

Grammar fix mode OFF

What can I say?

Grammar fix mode ON

This is, unquestionably, a far superior spaceplane compared to its counterparts. The undisputed evidence is that it has, until now, nearly half of the votes. Regardless, it will be an interesting competition, since all the others have incontestable qualities.

Grammar fix mode OFF

Thank you, KvickFlygarn, for your attention and grammar interference. It was, anyway, a joke, it was not my intention to offend anybody.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.