Kerbin blueshift at 75km/s?

Agent86

So I was approaching reentry in kerbins atmosphere at 75km/s (don't ask) and all of a sudden, it turned light blue.

MtCS5OM.jpg

Anyone else seen this?

PS: I hit the deck at 987m/s, new record. Woo.

Edited by Agent86

The problem with calculating trajectories for the light-speed breakaway factor is fuel usage. Assuming you're not flying an anti-matter powered K'Vort class starship, where fuel mass is negligible, acceleration will no longer be a constant. You'll have to make your "best guess."

Live long and prosper.

HarvesteR explained how KSP "moves" the universe around the craft when you're in orbit (I'll post the video if I can find it).

My guess is, like chefsbrian said, that the engine can't keep up with the speed.

My question is, does it stay like that until you hit the ground or does it render properly at some point?

HarvesteR explained how KSP "moves" the universe around the craft when you're in orbit (I'll post the video if I can find it).

My guess is, like chefsbrian said, that the engine can't keep up with the speed.

My question is, does it stay like that until you hit the ground or does it render properly at some point?

It's a little hard to say, as time from entering atmosphere to hitting the deck is about 2.5 seconds. Reentry effects occur while I'm still seeing blue, but then the camera angle changes and by the time it's swung around, impact at over a km/s. I figure it is a rendering issue, like you've said, as it spreads out and engulfs the planet at about the same speed as my craft is going. It's replicable (With hacked fuel) and I've yet to try it on any other bodies with atmosphere.

I do not have any images, but I can confirm that when arriving at Kerbin at a steep angle from a high orbit (above the "full render" altitude), some kind of shadow appears to grow up over the planet, distorting the position and changing the colors somewhat. It does not appear to cause issues with the landing though.

I am regularly having a circular Kerbin "inset" of different resolution around 600 km altitude if I approach at high speed. But it's never been blue. I assume the reason is there are two Kerbins inside each other and due to high speed the internal one doesn't keep up and peeks above the surface of the external one. Similarly to how nearby ships shift when using physics time warp.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.