"Decommission" button

So, right now, when you select a craft on the tracking station, you have an option to switch to it, to terminate it, (removing it entierly,) or, if it's on kerbin, to recover it. The first and last of these make sense, but it seems strange that I can completely obliterate all of a craft's parts without a trace. Instead, I think that it would make sense for it to be replaced with a "decommission" button, which would represent the KSP giving up entirely on maintaining a mission. The craft would turn into debris, and any kerbals inside would be considered KIA. When currency is implemented, this would also stop the costs of upkeep for the mission.

You can't rename/retag anything without a powered probe core or a manned capsule. I hate when a docking port breaks off and is forever named "Mun Station 1," and I'm afraid to delete it lest I accidentally delete the actual "Mun Station 1" that has the exact same name and essentially the same orbit.

Yeah, if you want to designate something as debris, you have to be flying it, then right click on the probe core/command module, select "rename", and then you can choose what you want it to be

Yes, but the ship has to be manned or (if probe) powered. And it must have a command module. I get pieces with no command module marked as landers, probes, ships or rovers way too often.

Anyway, renaming and reassigning ships directly from tracking station was already suggested and I definitely support it.

I support this idea for carreer mode.

And the upkeep costs make it usefull.

But decomissing a craft must have bad impact on the space program when killing kerbonaults (probes shouldn't matter)

So it's up to you to decide if its better to continue or leave them behind to save money

But decomissing a craft must have bad impact on the space program when killing kerbonaults (probes shouldn't matter)

So it's up to you to decide if its better to continue or leave them behind to save money

Probes should matter if they were expensive and didn't accomplish much. The game could track some kind of metric like dollars/science and pass judgment.

After reading all the above I have to say I would like this feature too!

I agree. perhaps, the more kerbals you abandon, the less likely skilled applicants are to sign up for astronaut candidacy. alternatively, (or in addition,) the crews family could sue you, or you could lose reputation of some kind..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.