FAO Squad: Someone's claiming your in-game music as their own!

mod1982

that is good to know, I still though do have this email ready to go if they would prefer it handled by those making the content. I waited until my anger had went away over it so I could write a polite letter, instead of one filled with just hatred towards them.

The tweets were the best I can do at the moment, fellas. Keep putting down your issues in this thread as a knowledge base. Squad is 100% behind you.

Good to know, and like I said I can white list someone if they need to see what my video has in it to maybe clarify either what I am missing or what they are missing.

I love how it says just dispute it and it will go away....unless of course they ping it for a second claim. I am not hating on them for wanting to protect their property, but this is just all kinds of wrong. But I am not sure they are totally at fault though as YouTube's system is a machine hitting the videos for matched content, not a person looking at each one.

UPDATE: As of 8:00 pm EST my second claim has been removed I should have the video live at 8:30pm.

Edited by Liowen
Update to the status!

I can only choose one though, which would be the best, it asks for the best suiting option

If you have something in writing (i.e. on paper, signed by someone, granting you a license), choose that option. Otherwise, choose online license (assuming that you are talking about the KSP music, and have followed the required steps of crediting Incompetech / K Macleod). If it's the KSP music, it's online license.

Caveat: your post is quite short of information, so that's an educated guess, as you don't say exactly what the circumstances are.

Do I have to credit Macleod eventhough I credit Squad

Without knowing whether Squad have negotiated an exception to the normal requirements with Kevin, the safest option when things are getting legalistic is to follow the instructions provided by Kevin for people who get his music directly:

http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/licenses/

As long as the music in question is Kevin's, your strongest legal position is to credit him explicitly, as well as crediting KSP.

For the record, while he isn't a copyright lawyer (he primarily works in corporate contract law), I do have a friend who is a lawyer and *might* be willing to offer a bit of pro bono advice regarding these issues, and/or regarding the language for a C&D to CD Baby if they don't start straightening up and flying right, if people would be interested.

Let me know if you want details; I'll get in touch with him and see if he'd be willing to help out if you do.

Either way, my Copyright ID claims have been dropped so I'm happy (and quickly too) I think you could have a case either referencing Kevin as the original artist and covered by CC or Squad as the sound tracks are a part of their game and covered under the games disclosure.

I managed to get a copy of the songs from somewhere (cant remember right now) and the artist in the mp3 description lists both Squad and Kevin. I cant vouch how legit the mp3s are though so take that with a grain of salt.

The song is is basically some "bamboo wind chimes" played over "Bathed in the light" from the KSP soundtrack. So basically you're in space it'll play at some point...

It's on Amazon you can hear a snippet. No sample on Youtube, strange thing.

My latest video got claimed by same company, but not for the soundtrack, I used "Launch countdown" mod, which adds countdown audio from Apollo program and it appears that CD Baby got this in content ID system as well.

If it's NASA audio, they cannot claim copyright to U.S. Government works. If it's the countdown audio from live network TV coverage (like, say, Walter Cronkite's voice from CBS), they might have a basis. Otherwise it's just another copyright 'bot run amok.

I guess some indy musician used the countdown sequence in their song, didn't notify CD Baby, they just slapped it into the content id system and didn't bother to check.

What I've actually done wrong, is that I disputed it and couldn't check the content (video wouldn't load for me), so i assumed it's the same stuff that happened to everyone else and provided wrong data :( Now I'm kinda worried that it will get me a copyright strike.

I guess some indy musician used the countdown sequence in their song, didn't notify CD Baby, they just slapped it into the content id system and didn't bother to check.

What I've actually done wrong, is that I disputed it and couldn't check the content (video wouldn't load for me), so i assumed it's the same stuff that happened to everyone else and provided wrong data :( Now I'm kinda worried that it will get me a copyright strike.

You shouldn't all of mine that were disputed have gone the wayside. Is the countdown generic audio clip, like a stock NASA one, or one from tv that would have a copyright attached to it? If it is the first one it is hard for anyone to claim it is as their as those types of countdowns have been sampled many times over. If it is a tv one that would be a bit harder to not get flagged for to be honest, although some older ones have been sampled over the years as well. Another idea would be to delete the video and reupload it and see if it sneaks by, had one of Walking Dead ones get hit but deleted and reuploaded it and now it is fine.

I wouldn't know if the clip is from tv, it lacks any kind of features you can recognize as tv broadcast (such as branding), it's just voice that reads some pre-flight list (like all tanks are pressurized) and then countdown. In worst case I'll delete it and remake the part with countdown.

Exactly that, not even "something similar", it's the exact sequence, just without the Saturn V sounds.

They already released the claim. Guess it doesn't matter much what you write, while the claim itself is valid.

Edited by edwinahe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.