What is your longest launch

Stilgar2300

Actually, a half-hour to orbit with a spaceplane isn't that odd. I've had some pretty absurdly long launch-to-orbit rockets, though. I remember one took almost 18 minutes because I was JUUUUST a bit too shallow and had to glide through the upper atmosphere for quite a while before I got high enough above it to stabilize the orbit.

Well, in earlier versions (around 0.17) when KSP was less ptimized I had some Megarockets which also took 30+ minutes to launch, due to the system slowing down to at least 3:1 (turning a launch of 10-15 mins gametime into 30-45 mins real time)

Well, in earlier versions (around 0.17) when KSP was less ptimized I had some Megarockets which also took 30+ minutes to launch, due to the system slowing down to at least 3:1 (turning a launch of 10-15 mins gametime into 30-45 mins real time)

Story of my life until my computer rebuild a few months ago. Launches would run about 3 FPS... Dat slideshow...

After a 15-20 minutes launch to try to put 100tons of material in orbit while staying efficient, i decided that none of my rocket's first stage would ever had a TWR ratio below 2 again.

Minimal acceleration at ignition is 15m/s².

Wich... Tend to be problematic with bigger structures. Even heavily reinforced modules have troubles with 40+ m/s²accelerations.

Now i was in orbit under 5 minutes most of the time...

Until i installed Deadly Rentry, and my rockets began overheating when going UP.

Then i realized i may be overkilling a bit.

3 hours to put a small ant-engine powered spaceplane in orbit. No Mechjeb, no autopilots, pure manual flight. Built something that was stable, then slow-cruised into space.

Had a mega-rocket where my counter showed 20 minutes, but real time was at nearly 4 hours. Never again do I plan to build things above the 4000 part barrier, then try to get it into orbit. Whackjob, I don't know how you do it on such mild hardware, but I couldn't take it anymore, even with a 3.7 GHz overclocked processor.

Then there's that Ion probe I shot toward Eeloo... I don't speak of it.

About an hour. It was a test launch of a nuclear SSTO. Massive amount of dV, but TWR of 1.05 :D And i had to burn about 1\4 of the fuel on launchpad before the rocket even twitched up. It was on the opposite side of Kerbin to KSC, before i coaxed enough speed of the lumbering beast to achieve stable orbit.

About 30 minutes with a prototype SSTO. Too bad it ended up being unbalanced in space, although it did have about 1/4 liquid fuel left. Ended up scraping the design.

Typically 15-30 minutes for my FAR SSTOs if I fly them like planes. If I fly them up like rockets and then perform a gravity turn into a slightly climbing hypersonic flight, my orbital burn usually starts around 15 minutes. I have only occasionnally gotten such vehicles to orbit in under 10 minutes.

hrm

in game time: ...to Joker and back, took just over 13810 days (37 years, 11+ months)

that doesn't include the approximately 25 years it took to put kethane stations at Minmus, Tylo and Eeloo

Real life time: the kethane stations were done at about a rate of one every three days (station plus tug); the joker tour took a little over 24 hours of playing time (over a week span)

Had a mega station launch a few months ago that has something like a 160 Ton payload and 2300 or so parts, asparagus staging, boat load of mods, and fun.

That was roughly 45-50 minutes I think? Averaged 5-7 FPS, which was more than I expected.

Longest one I've ever done was approximately two hours and forty minutes, real time. Not a spaceplane... I believe it was the "An Exercise in Absurdity Mk7". Sucker weighed in at 6,500 parts. I ended up scrapping it in a mild rage because even after several launches, it wasn't making orbit. I made the call to go with something with fewer parts because I wanted to be in space SOMETIME that week!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.