Heavy Lifter Construction

I have been trying to build a powerful craft for getting large spaceships and space station parts into orbit, but every one I build is extremely unstable. I have been using asparagus staging. Does anyone have any tips or crafts they are willing to share?

I'll chip in here. My suggestion? Build your rocket around your payload. I call it "caging". Regardless of how lop-sided and heavy your payload is, it still works wonderfully for getting your payload into orbit.

Uwukfd7.png

Simply attach trusses to your rockets, and string struts between them. This has certain advantages over struts alone. Under heavy load and stress, struts will snap because they cannot flex. However, trusses flex wonderfully. With this combo, I've made magic happen.

Under heavy load and stress, struts will snap because they cannot flex. However, trusses flex wonderfully. With this combo, I've made magic happen.

I make same magic with structural panels and struts :D

There is a short strut between every engine and panel below it

2uPPYXD.jpg?1

I'll chip in here. My suggestion? Build your rocket around your payload. I call it "caging". Regardless of how lop-sided and heavy your payload is, it still works wonderfully for getting your payload into orbit.

Uwukfd7.png

Simply attach trusses to your rockets, and string struts between them. This has certain advantages over struts alone. Under heavy load and stress, struts will snap because they cannot flex. However, trusses flex wonderfully. With this combo, I've made magic happen.

Yikes I think my laptop would implode loading that thing. When I get my tower again I will play around with that design.

Use carefully placed bracing. Build for launch efficiency. It is too easy to overbuild launch vehicle and end up with very little return in tonnage sent to orbit.

109 tons to orbit. Without careful bracing, this design either fell apart at launch, or was too unstable to fly.

1Bsfv67.jpg

Before bracing was complete;

3X2T58u.jpg

After fixing the bracing;

gdjKXdI.jpg

cxeADtM.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.