Stock feature or mod? [Discussion]

Wampa842

While everyone's drooling over the upcoming update, I've been browsing mods I want to see updated as early as possible. Somehow I also ended up on the "What not to suggest" thread, and it jolted my brain: why not?

While I understand that there are mods that would break the sandbox aspects of the game and turn it into some kind of space RPG (such as resource mining, a.k.a Kethane), I see no reason why Squad wouldn't want to improve the stability of rockets (Kerbal Joint Reinforcement), or speaking of Ferram4, the rather poorly implemented stock "aerodynamics." C7's parts were added to the game, so why not?

I've seen a proposal for a random events/malfunctions mod a while ago. Random events are on the "What not to suggest" list for an obvious reason: lots of players don't want their crafts to be destroyed or crippled only 80 kilometers from Kerbin, I know what a pain that is. However, some posters brought up arguments claiming that it would add to the "realism" of the game. I agree with both parties; although I like the idea, random events should be for people who really want it. Maybe a DLC (or a mod by Squad), but certainly not a stock feature.

The same goes for RemoteTech 2: it adds a great deal of immersion, but it is certainly not something I wanted in my very first save.

This all got me thinking: what mods do you think should be stock? On the other hand, what mods should Squad stay away from?

I think KSP is more if a game than an aerospace flight simulator, and no disrespect to it; it is very accurate and fun at the same time. In this sense, I don't believe it should become Hyper-realistic. I've seen proposals for construction time for ships and random events, but I think those just ruin the flow of the game. And seriously, how could that be fun for the majority of people? The game is about directing a space program and flying ships, not problem solving for things you can't control. And for additional re-enforcement, I don't think it's really necessary for average game play.

As for things that should be added, I definitely would vouch for proper aerodynamics. Also, a more advanced system of part damage, such as a 100% of health or damage for landing legs, etc. so they don't snap at there max point, but after the "Ultimate Strength" (anyone remember tensile testing?) they would become damaged and have decreased functionality and a visual damage. This could be applied in a way that parts don't just explode in a fiery mess, even though it's kerbal-like, but rather bend, dent, char, crack, etc. And of course EVA kerbals, or perhaps a repair probe could repair them to the full extent, or at least partially.

A way to modify action groups mid-flight, like a mod already does.

Although some information would be helpful in the VAB, like mass per stage, amount of fuel, and a few other basic bits of info. I don't believe there should be a full giveaway of dV, and seriously, TWR is really easy to calculate.

RCS Build aid is great, that is probably essential.

A way to move fuel from one ship to another without docking, primarily for landed vessels.

Edited by Tank Buddy

I think KSP is more if a game than an aerospace flight simulator, and no disrespect to it; it is very accurate and fun at the same time. In this sense, I don't believe it should become Hyper-realistic. I've seen proposals for construction time for ships and random events, but I think those just ruin the flow of the game. And seriously, how could that be fun for the majority of people? The game is about directing a space program and flying ships, not problem solving for things you can't control. And for additional re-enforcement, I don't think it's really necessary for average game play.

That's why nothing should be forced on the players. I support most realism ideas, but we'd be better served if they were selectable options at the start of a new game. That way, everyone's happy. You could use some but not others. Or none at all.

Mods I think would be nice:

Kerbpaint would be nice.

Procedural wings and fairings.

Joint Reinforcement

Crew Manifest (If not another way to transfer crew from docked ships without going EVA)

Better aerodynamic models.

Other things I would like that are part of mods but wouldn't want the whole mod:

Docking camera (I like the one from Lazer, would just like the camera though not the whole mod)

Orbital construction/off planet construction. Not exactly like the mod but rather the ability to add struts, I would also like the ability to add parts to ships that are already launched even if it does require going eva to attach them or something like that.

Mechjeb/engineer (just the DV/TWR calcs)

It's a fairly small one, but I'd like Crowd Sourced Science Logs to be put into the game. Any extension of variety is a good thing as far as I'm concerned, and it makes sense for Squad to use the imagination of the (very intelligent and well informed) community to do what is a difficult job for a small team like they have

#1 must have needs to be added to the game as soon as possible mods: Ferram Aerospace Research AKA better aerodynamics.

It's already planned but I don't see why it hasn't been implemented yet. I think it might be that people don't want to shake their old habits of building flat-top chandelier asparagus rockets. But you'll be sorry, you'll all be sorry when proper aerodynamics are added and you don't know how to build proper aerodynamic rockets!

But you'll be sorry, you'll all be sorry when proper aerodynamics are added and you don't know how to build proper aerodynamic rockets!

I'll build aerodynamic rockets when the parts support it, damnit! It's far easier to reinforce stability building horizontally than vertically. My "aerodynamic" rockets have a tendency to snap in half with little encouragement.

Protractor, anything that tells you your delta-v, and a "calculator" where you insert your delta-v and it says where you can go, actually how many planets you've discovered, because the planetarium thing and stuff.

Let's see... for me, it's pretty much just the same cabal of mods I always have installed: deadly reentry, a flight computer (something like MJ's delta-v stats and smartass, or kerbal engineer), joint reinforcement (arguably my favorite mod along with deadly reentry), audio muffler (which I made cause I wanted that sort of thing in the game in the first place, actually), some form of life support (I don't actually have one of those installed yet, although always sort of pretend whenever playing - no interplanetary trips in just capsules, need to give kerbs a hab module or two), and lastly some form of new aerodynamic system.

To address one of your points, regarding the "why not?" of the what not to suggest forum,

because all those points have been discussed at length several times over, and decisions regarding their implementation have been made, one way or the other.

More to the point, I am quite content with most of the gameplay/utility enhancing mods, as I have come to think of them, such as the EVA superhappyfuntime of KAS, remotetech signal chains, deadly entry etc. staying as mods. I don`t feel the need to have the mods I use to be absorbed into the stock game

For Career Mode or Sandbox;

Enable life support to limit flight time. The same for orbiting stations and off world bases.

Provide for resupply missions to extend life support much like the current use of refueling tankers.

Allow for establishing greenhouses on off world bases so they can become independent of life support resupply flights by using the resources of those worlds.

Allow for the construction of ships and bases off world. That would require landing and powering a manufacturing and mining complex sent from Kerbal.

"mandatory":

Editor Extensions

Kerbal Engineer

Enhanced Navball

reworked aerodynamics

Precise Node

Alarm Clock

Navball Docking Indicator - or similar alignment indicator

Targetron - or list of vessels in flight map (like observatory)

KSPX probe sized parts

"wishful thinking":

resources

KAS and Robotics parts and functionality

mapping

Remote Tech

Life Support

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.