The PewdIePie backlash - close after reading

GROOV3ST3R

The sheer ignorance of most of this supposedly mature community has been overwhelming in the ''PewdiePie wants to play KSP'' thread.

The premise of that thread was flawed - PewDie should just pay for his own god damn copy like everyone else. He can afford it. Once you heard this information, was there any need to argue about it any further?

Was there any need to spread hate because of your ignorance or small mindedness?

Stop and think for a second. Answer these questions to yourself:

- Does a popular game reviewer playing KSP affect you if you don't know him? (No.)

- Do his videos have millions of views each? (Yes.)

- Can he offer a lot of publicity and raise awareness of KSP, bringing it to a MUCH wider player base than anyone of you can? (Yes.)

- Can he influence people to buy this game - EVEN if they will just mess about - raising more money for Squad with each copy? (Yes.)

- Is his fanbase exclusively 12 year olds? (No.)

- Do children playing KSP affect you in the slightest? (No, how could they? It's Singleplayer and even with MP mods you can have private servers....)

- Will Children affect the community? (No, the community can be easily moderated, problematic children will be banned - most won't even bother with Forums)

- Will Children have money to pay for a game like KSP? (I sincerely doubt that anyone below 12 will even have money, anyone above that age will probably spend it on candy and cellphone credit... such is life)

- Will the community change in any significant way? (No. Kids will be banned if they cause trouble, doesn't affect anyone really)

There is nothing that irritates me more than empty hatred of something/someone because you simply don't look beyond the cover. That's borderline judgmental. I thought this community was made up of mature people who put thought and consideration into what they say and who don't force their opinions upon others like you have done?

FYI, It was a dumb thing to say ''Give him a free copy'' I mean really... That's probably half the reason for this backlash in the first place... Still, come on people. Think BEYOND your own prejudiced opinions.

And please, consider how this could also benefit you and the game:

- popularity will draw fresh blood into the game, people who have a genuine interest will stay

- more funding for SQUAD to develop the game because of new traffic

- more funding means more features, possibly more staff, better updates and even more detail

- richer game will in turn make for a richer community

I do like PewDiePie, I find his videos funny and I have tried many games that he has played. Actually, if not for him, I would probably never get to know certain Indie titles. If you guys could only focus on the positive side of this argument, everyones lives would be much easier.

TL: DR

PewDiePie should play KSP but he will have to buy his own copy like the rest of us. He will bring attention and publicity to KSP, bringing in more money to develop the game. Community can be moderated, getting rid of people who will be here to spoil the experience and those who care about the game will stay with us. Stop being judgemental

Please close this /thread.

I agree 100% with what this thread is saying but I have a feeling it will be closed before long.

that's the idea, I want it to sit here as a reminder for people to be more open to new opportunities and less judgmental. Doesn't bother me if they can't comment - it's just an FYI thread.

- Will Children have money to pay for a game like KSP? (I sincerely doubt that anyone below 12 will even have money, anyone above that age will probably spend it on candy and cellphone credit... such is life)

Don't think this one really belongs... Some do have money, others have parents with money.

That said I do agree with you on all other points made. Specially the "free copy" bit being a bit absurd, I was tempted to say something along the lines of "There is a demo for a reason..." but just passed on the thread entirely.

Yeah that one is a gray area. Still, the point stands - themselves they won't have that much funding for a game like KSP just to troll around in. They might convince their parents in one way or another but then such is life - they probably already have done so many times before PewDiePie existed.

I think pewdiepie making a video on ksp will most likely be a good thing for ksp overall. I think people are just worried that there will be a flood of immature fans that will corrupt the community. I doubt that anyone that could do a large amount of harm will last long thanks to this amazing moderating team we have. I have nothing against pewdiepie and I am sure that it will be for the better of the game.

EDIT: wow this thread exploded in just 3 minutes it got like 5 more replies. I am kinda interested that if we get flooded by immature 12 year olds how the community will handle it.

Edited by panfish5