One inexperienced player's bumbling attempt at a space program

Basilo1146

I have finally decided to break out career mode, and I decided that I should bug the rest of you with my experiences.

Apparently our engineers are completely inept, as they managed to come up with this horrendous contraption:

y49wGO1h.png

Only a few seconds into launch, the external engines overheat, to the confusion of everyone. Considering that they are exposed to the open air, one would think that they would stay cooler than the center engine, but for some reason they explode right of the gate, leaving our rocket two engines short.

F4oVvFih.png

Thins only get worse as the center engine, which we wanted to overheat, fails to do so, and remains attached to the rocket, blocking its thrust, and leaving this flight doomed for failure. Even after having burned all of the fuel from the liquid engine, the center booster is still attached to the rocket.

49PYeZKh.png

0UQamMDh.png

We don't just give up that easily, however! We managed to get 25 science from a few EVA reports, surface samples, and other stuff that we forced our kerbals into dangerous situations to retrieve. Despite that, we were determined to see our design work, and so we did. On the ship's second launch, it ascended up through the atmosphere to 90 km above the surface, marking kerbal kind's first trip to space.

KyFfPzrh.png

Always impatient, Jeb burned downwards to make the ship get back earlier. On his way down, he hopped out of the ship to get a report.

KJf9UE0h.png

i1N60eLh.png

Jeb quickly learned the error in his ways when his ship had ceased to slow down, despite being uncomfortably close to the ground. The flames were rather spectacular, however.

QWDwLDth.png

After plopping down in the middle of nowhere, and losing half the ship in the process, Jeb collected some data before getting picked up.

Cnsex9yh.png

Ap7pFFih.png

With this, we were ready to research some new rocket parts, and to start sending Kerbals further than ever before.

JU39o7Nh.png

tqHsLdPh.png

Edited by Basilo1146

Thanks. Things don't really fail spectacularly around me, they just slowly disassemble into a frustrating heap.

The Hexa X-1 was the most anticipated development in space exploration in kerbal history. Designed over a period of several months, it was the pinnacle of rocketry.

Jeb was still getting reprimanded for the reentry debacle, so his brother, Bill, a more level headed kerbal, was chosen to fly this mission. Bill handled the Hexa like a pro, and the ship easily ascended up through the atmosphere and achieved orbit for the first time in history.

ArW6JERh.png

ZBnMPmvh.png

gM7RN9Ph.png

j8IR5HSh.png

The ship still had an entire stage full of fuel left, and it was decided that this mission could go much further. So it was that Bill set up a burn and pushed the Hexa for Mun.

TDM8g0Vh.png

eKrIKbGh.png

Originally Bill was going to land the Hexa there, but upon entering Mun's SoI, he decided that there wasn't enough fuel to land and safely return, so he instead opted for a flyby, gaining science along the way.

gZzp9bVh.png

Upon reentry into Kerbin's atmosphere, Bill quickly learned that, even when entering at a shallow angle, you are going to get hot.

PgH0u2xh.png

The ship slowed down more than quick enough, thankfully, and landed smoothly in the desert, netting enough science to make some upgrades to the lander, and to send a kerbal farther than ever before.

rnWAMUnh.png

dO0ZaPEh.png

We don't have ladders...

I0boiTyh.png

4h7xm0Jh.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.