Can no longer vent oxidiser.

Is this deliberate? It used to be quite handy to dump oxidiser on returning spaceplanes for example to reduce landing weight while retaining liquid fuel for aeroengines. More the case than ever now with the new RAPIER engine.

I cant see why Squad would not want you to be able to dump oxidiser except on those few occasions where someone did it by accident, all I can say is you wouldnt do it twice, would you?

That was a fix. Engines will no longer consume any fuel if they don't have enough to run. Before, if an engine consumed 2 types of fuel and one of them runs out, it will continue to consume both at the normal rate even though the engine isn't running. So OP was using this bug to continue to burn his rockets after turning off the liquid fuel supply, therefore draining his oxidizer.

Ahhh, ok. Yeah, I did know about that behaviour, just didn't connect it with the OP's description  I was thinking of a specific dump option.

Simple solution, use TAC Fuel Balancer  it lets you shuffle fuel around more easily, dump fuel you no longer need, etc. It seems to work ok in 0.23.

Yes, it was a bug fix - but it would be nice if they added a "vent" part capable of venting resource of chosen type to open space to get rid of it, e.g. through fuel transfer.

That's what tweakables are for. If you need to vent fuel out of your ship to maintain performance, you either have too much fuel or have an inefficient design.

That's what tweakables are for. If you need to vent fuel out of your ship to maintain performance, you either have too much fuel or have an inefficient design.

I accept that you always take exactly the amount of fuel you will need for the mission and tweak your airplane or ship according to the distance you're going to travel, but that's not my case. And I don't really care if my design is efficient or not. I just want to have a tool to make my ship lighter before I go for landíng.

So... is there any reason to not add resource vents? Will it break something in the game?

So I asume you calculate the exact amount of fuel you need, and don't bring a drop more than?

If you don't need it, could you not burn it up on descent, but so as to not change your landing position too much?

No, that's the wrong solution for spaceplanes, as it's only the oxidiser that you want to get rid of early, keeping the fuel for use in the turbojets once you're back below 20,000m, for the flight in to the runway. You might also want to dump some fuel if you've got significantly more than you require, or are going for a glider landing, but it's not as simple as just burning it away. Dumping excess fuel is the correct solution.

Sorry, thought it was for landing rockets etc. As some weight reduction could help parachutes etc on really tight builds (I sometimes try to vent my RCS fuel).

That's ok, it wasn't a bad suggestion, just not the right solution for all cases. :)

For rockets, I'd argue that you're better to keep the fuel until just before the parachutes fully deploy, if you're on a ship which is a bit marginal for landing. That fuel is probably best used for a braking burn just before the chutes fill, and possibly some continued thrust after they fill, to give control over touchdown speed.

So I asume you calculate the exact amount of fuel you need, and don't bring a drop more than?

Actually, i do a more ' hit or miss' design process: if, for example, I have a lot of fuel left after landing my spaceplane, maybe I should remove some of the fuel tanks to lower the weight and increase efficiency. Or, if my three stage rocket has fuel left in its second stage on its way to orbit, I can use the second stage to get me the rest of the way. Most of the time, I actually under design my rockets: their either not strong enough, have too little control, don't have enough fuel, or are too heavy. I was just suggesting that maybe the person had put too much fuel into the spaceplane, or flying too fast too low and wasting fuel fighting the atmosphere, and was putting on more than they needed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.