Satellite Grant

Well, it seems like the students at Kerbal University have received a small grant to launch a satellite into orbit. You, as the chief engineer, need to make sure that the satellite and rocket are as cheap as possible.

Your goals:

1. Create a cheap, self-sustaining satellite with at least 1 science module, and antenna attached

2.Create a cheap, rocket

3.Launch payload into orbit.

3.Buy a mansion with all the money you just saved

Only mod allowed, is the procedural fairings mod. (all rockets must include a fairing)

Scores are based on how much the rocket costs.

Happy launching! :)

You might want to expand your rules a bit more: define what the payload needs to be a bit more precisely, have some sort of metric like a budget to constrain the player, that kind of thing. Prices in the game at this point are probably fairly close to what they will be when the economy kicks in (I noticed a few prices had changed), so at least that's a somewhat meaningful metric now.

Anyway, here's one for your challenge.

cheap_probe.jpg

It's pretty sprightly.

cheap_probe2.jpg

The SRBs are thrust-limited, but even at that, the RCS is needed to finish the orbital insertion. Which is fine; SRBs make horrible orbital insertion tools.

cheap_probe3.jpg

Happily in orbit with fuel to spare.

cheap_probe4.jpg

And quite sustainable to boot.

Bill of Materials

1 Stayputnik (300)

1 Antenna (100)

1 Thermometer (900)

1 Battery (80)

1 Solar Panel Array (380)

2 RCS Blocks (900)

1 RCS Fuel Tank (400)

2 Decouplers (800)

3 Winglets (1500)

1 Large SRB (800)

1 Small SRB (450)

Total: 6610

Too bad the only mod allowed is procedural fairings - I've launched a sci-satellite into LKO SSTO before. I'll give y'all a hint - OKTO2, Communotron-16, OX-STAT x2, 2 small sci instruments (two for balance), an FL-T400 tank and a 48-7S engine. Challenge broken.

Ok i have my entry:

I'll call it cheap-sat 1

it doesn't have a fairing because it is a fairing, so i added a nosecone which costs a lot actually

j0GKQSr.png

IT has 4 science experiments but i'm only pricing it on one because science experiments are really expensive( the gravioli detector costing 8800!), with all the uless gak that i thought would make it mroe convenient it costs a grand total of 4185, with it being minimalism i can get it down to 2575 which is considerably cheaper,

6fRTWnW.png

LmOqTfM.png

Edit: managed to land a probe on the mun for 4550 if that counts for anything

Edited by lump

Cheap Probe One. Not only does it have a Science Bay, it had sufficient fuel to go to Mun in low orbit.

VIcfwGn.jpg

FomU1Cc.jpg

oQppmAh.jpg

Cheapskate Jeb Orbiter.

1. Stayputnik $300

2. Comm $150. (There is suppose to be one comm, not two as pictured)

3. Two Battery Packs $80 x 2

4. Science Jr $880

5. FL-T200 fuel can $225

6. Pair Ox Stat 2x3, $380 x2

7. 48-7s engine $300

8. TR2-C decoupler $450

9. Reaction Wheel $600, Needed to control the SRBs during launch phase as they are non vectoring.

10. RT-10 SRB set at 50% power $450

11. TR2-C decoupler $450

12. BACC SRB set at 75% power $800

Total cost, $5525

Performace, low orbit Mun or Minmus.

I have since moved the reaction wheel to the second booster since the Stayputnik can control flight of the remaining probe.

I can cut the cost more by eliminating one battery and one solar collector.

Too bad the only mod allowed is procedural fairings - I've launched a sci-satellite into LKO SSTO before. I'll give y'all a hint - OKTO2, Communotron-16, OX-STAT x2, 2 small sci instruments (two for balance), an FL-T400 tank and a 48-7S engine. Challenge broken.

Actually, between the battery, Too Hot thermometer, and the Ox4w 2x3 solar panel, I got a balance without having to duplicate anything. Went with the more expensive comm due to air drag causing control issues on launch. Results;

$300 Stayputnik

$150 Comm (Cheaper one available if you can overcome stability during atmosphere flight.)

$80 Battery. (Can be eliminated)

$900 Too Hot. (To satisfy science requirement.)

$380 Solar panel 2x3

$850 FL-T400 fuel can

$300 477-s engine

$2960

qJqIeKY.jpg

54oZtAu.jpg

gHmh9iF.jpg

Edited by SRV Ron

Ok, my entry with a grand total of 4090 Kerbucks, the Cheapers Peepers. And no, your eyes aren't lying, I built this in the SPH...I just like working in it better than the VAB.

Probodyne Hecs 450

Modular Girder Adapter 100

Ox-Stat 300

Comms DTS-M1 300

Mystery Goo 800

FL-t100 110

Rockomax 48-7s 300

TR-18A Decoupler 600

RT-10 450

Rockomax BACC 800

Z-100 Battery 80

screenshot94_zps47e96d27.png

screenshot96_zps5aebf753.png

screenshot98_zpsa0f3bc9a.png

Edited by barrenwaste

Actually, between the battery, Too Hot thermometer, and the Ox4w 2x3 solar panel, I got a balance without having to duplicate anything. Went with the more expensive comm due to air drag causing control issues on launch. Results;

$300 Stayputnik

$150 Comm (Cheaper one available if you can overcome stability during atmosphere flight.)

$80 Battery. (Can be eliminated)

$900 Too Hot. (To satisfy science requirement.)

$380 Solar panel 2x3

$850 FL-T400 fuel can

$300 477-s engine

$2960

-snip-

Nice.

Actually built the probe I described last night; turned out with something like 5,500 m/s of delta-V or thereabouts according to KER. I'd suggest swapping out the FL-T400 for an FL-T200/FL-T100 combo but as I recall all the tanks cost the same amount (except for the Jumbo64), so I suspect there not a cash savings there. Moar delta-V ain't bad in any event.

Mind if I tweak my design a bit?

The Communotron-16 has a mass of .005 tonnes as it turns out; that turns out to be the same as any of the small science parts, so just one of each and they balance each other out. $200 for the sci part and $150 for the antenna. I prefer the Gravioli Detector; I have a BS in Meteorology and it reminds me of a rawinsonde.

A Z-100 has a mass of .005 tonnes and a cost of $80 - I find you need a battery if you want any hope of transmitting data.

Still sticking with two OX-STAT panels - combined cost $200, combined mass .01 tonnes. The OX-4W or OX-4L is a more versatile solution but this saves $100.

Still sticking with the OKTO2; it's cheaper and slightly less massive than the Stayputnik - at $230 and .04 tonnes.

And still sticking with the 48-7S at $300 and 0.1 tonnes.

So that's .165 tonnes deadmass...300 Isp...4550 delta-V target......3 FL-T100 equivalents give you a delta-V of 4883.145 m/s and a launch TWR of 2.13

An FL-T100 costs $110, an FL-T200 costs $225, an FL-T400 costs $850 - so three FL-T100s gives you the cheapest option (by $5) at $330

Build it by placing the battery on top of the probe core, put the three tanks under it and the engine under that, put the antenna on one side of the top tank and balance it on the other side with the sci instrument, and slap the solar panels on wherever you choose.

That's a 1.8525 tonne SSTO science probe with 4,883.145 m/s of delta-V and a launch TWR of 2.13. Total cost - $1,460 (assuming the figures on the wiki are correct).

look at the prices, 2 FL-T100 is actually cheaper by 5 than 1 FL-T200, it's not much but it's still cheaper

I noticed that as well but figured the fewer parts the better. Could have saved $50 on the comm but it was causing control issues in flight.

The extra fuel allows for polar orbit and flight higher up. One way mission to Mun impact may be possible.

yeah my thoughts exactly, every little helps, i think the easiest thing to do here is price the cheapest essentials, (probe core, solar panel, battery, science e.c.t.) and then there's a base price every person can follow and all that matters is the rocket.

yeah my thoughts exactly, every little helps, i think the easiest thing to do here is price the cheapest essentials, (probe core, solar panel, battery, science e.c.t.) and then there's a base price every person can follow and all that matters is the rocket.

Interesting results, two FL-T200 cost $450 VS one FL-T400 at $850 for a savings of $400. In addition, I tested the design with one FL-T200 and a FL-T100. Cost $335 for both tanks. There was still enough fuel for orbit with some to spare. Had to throttle back some 1/2 way in the flight.

And, I was able to crash the original probe into Mun. There may have been enough fuel with a better intercept for orbit.

Bare min design;

RXYqdWq.jpg

In Orbit;

Cq2084M.jpg

Stats;

Truzu17.jpg

The Mun mission

mp83ZO9.jpg

Made orbit last night on two FL-T100s; still trying to figure out how that happened (I'm guessing a rounding error with my delta-V calculator; it rounds up instead of to the closest FL-T100). Two FL-T100s give 4,392.48 m/s; that's now 1.29 tonnes and a total cost of $1,360.

Made orbit last night on two FL-T100s; still trying to figure out how that happened (I'm guessing a rounding error with my delta-V calculator; it rounds up instead of to the closest FL-T100). Two FL-T100s give 4,392.48 m/s; that's now 1.29 tonnes and a total cost of $1,360.

Your calculations were correct. Used one FL-T200 to test. With management of the thrust during flight in the atmosphere, it made 200k+ orbit with ease.

Ur2ROA2.jpg

syqnIql.jpg

LM6zOLN.jpg

I don't think that this will get any smaller or cheaper using stock parts. (Save $55 for two FL-T100s and the cheaper but drag inducing comm.)

Yes, I know. No procedural fairings. I don't have that mod. They would add additional cost and weight to this project.

I wouldn't say the challenge is over, it's just into a different stage. Yeah, the most efficient build has been found, that doesn't prevent others from attempting to find the various permutations of slightly less efficient builds. Also, there may very well be a method or two that you have not thought of.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.