[v0.24] Tarsier Space Technology (v4.5c Now with GALAXIES!!!)

tobyb121

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Could you confirm that when you take a picture while looking at a planet you don't get a screen message saying "Collected Science for [Planet Name]". If you are zoomed into a planet but you cannot see the centre point of it then the telescope doesn't know you're looking at it, so if you zoom in too close this could be a problem. If you're still having problems could you do a flight where it isn't working and then send me your KSP.log file from the KSP directory (probably easiest to PM me http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=78303 )

That is correct: I get no message, even when I set my alignment and zoom level such that I the camera window contains the whole planet, mostly filling the window. I will do that and send you the log file. Thanks for the help! You've made a cool thing and I don't want at all to seem ungrateful. I'd just like to be able to play with it. :)

When you update this to .24, could you mae the photos be worth money? Like, a photo records using 5 mbits of data, and sells for $500 when returned...

Maybe put a limit on how many you can sell per week/month or something, so you can't just sit up there all day taking pictures and get a fat wallet, but I do like the idea of selling the pictures for kredits.

I'll be testing to see if it works with .24 today, once steam finishes downloading, I imagine there will be some changes required in the cost etc. but hopefully it isn't broken.

I'll be looking at how contracts work and how they can be extended and used for this.

I'm gonna make a suggestion to you. When you put telescopes into orbit and view through them, there will be a random chance you see an asteroid fly by. hen, you get to discover the asteroid, possibly even track it with the telescope. That would be EPIC! :D

Just to update everyone, the current version should have no problems running on 0.24, however the costs of parts don't fit into the game and the parts won't make any use of the contracts system. I'm working now (and have nearly completed) a version for 0.24 which adds custom contracts for the Telescopes and ChemCam. I'll be updating all part costs and releasing a new version soon...hopefully

- each HDD is individual storage? how to store 85 mits on HDDs, for example, without losing 5?

"Don't need to save up electricity to transmit data home"

- does this mean that it's a cheaty way to transmit data? or you mean that you can just bring data home easier?

- does it take the science directly or i have to use kerbals to store science in HDDs and if it takes it directly will science modules require to be reset in a Mobile Processing Lab like always?

Edited by gendalf

- each HDD is individual storage? how to store 85 mits on HDDs, for example, without losing 5?

"Don't need to save up electricity to transmit data home"

- does this mean that it's a cheaty way to transmit data? or you mean that you can just bring data home easier?

- does it take the science directly or i have to use kerbals to store science in HDDs and if it takes it directly will science modules require to be reset in a Mobile Processing Lab like always?

The hard drives will only store a science report if there is space for the whole report, so you currently couldn't store an 85 Mit report. The current hard drives were a bit of a proof of concept, to learn about the science system etc. In a future realease I may look at ways the filling of hard drives can be done more cleverly.

In answer to your other questions...the hard drives aren't cheaty, you can save into the hard drive but you still need to either transmit the data or return the hard drive to get the science points. One thing you can do is put the science into mini unmanned vehicles that you can use as science pods.

The hard drives are filled by right clicking and selecting fill hard drive, which finds all science on the vessel (except for stuff already in hdds) and moves it to the hard drive until they're full.

Hope this helps, tobyb

There seems to be a bug in the hard drives where it is unable to store data obtained after returning from eva. For example go on eva, get science, board the ship, click harddrive and store, nothing happens. Is this a known bug? If not I'll get it to reproduce and get you a log output. :)

tobyb121, by cheaty meant this feature: "Don't need to save up electricity to transmit data home"

The hard drives are filled by right clicking and selecting fill hard drive, which finds all science on the vessel (except for stuff already in hdds) and moves it to the hard drive until they're full.

it should be either a kerbal moving science around or similar to the fuel-moving interface (or like in TAC fuel balancer mod)

also what about:

...will science modules require to be reset in a Mobile Processing Lab like always?

There seems to be a bug in the hard drives where it is unable to store data obtained after returning from eva. For example go on eva, get science, board the ship, click harddrive and store, nothing happens. Is this a known bug? If not I'll get it to reproduce and get you a log output. :)

I'm afraid I haven't been able to recreate this, it might be helpful to PM me the log output

@gendalf: I personally don't see the HDDs as cheating at all, they give you an alternative way of storing your science data but you must still either transmit it or carry it back to Kerbin, "Don't need to save up electricity to transmit data home" really means that if you want to do lots of science in one mission you can by storing it in HDDs and carrying it back rather than having to transmit and incurring a loss of data, there is no difference in the amount of electricity required to transmit.

I don't really like the idea of making Kerbals moving science around as being the only way to transfer data. I would like to implement kerbals being able to deposit data on EVA, but making it so that unmanned missions cannot transfer data is not going to happen.

I'm not sure about the last point, to be honest I wasn't aware that science modules have to be reset like that (I don't get much time to play the game nowadays unfortunately)

I'm not sure about the last point, to be honest I wasn't aware that science modules have to be reset like that (I don't get much time to play the game nowadays unfortunately)

The non-reusable science experiments should behave like normal when you take data out of them. You're using IScienceDataContainer.DumpData(), so it should handle stock and non-stock experiments fine (as long as the mod parts are setup correctly) as far as lab resetting goes.

Hey Guys, i have some Trouble with this Mod, the HDD´s working very fine with all my mods and sience, but.. if i build a ship/station/probe withe the cam or a telescope, my probe is crusing out of my cameraview in a high of 7000 meters. its in both bit versions the same, in 32 and 64 bit. the 2nd issue wich comes after the "cruse away" is, that my orbit changes via w,a,s,d, controll without some thrust, i can change my pa/ap just with this keys, and my probe is permanently getting speed without some engines on. somebody else knwo this problem? a friend of me had exacly the same problem. sorry for my bad english... hope you could understand what i mean.

i have many mods installed, but all i have working very fine with eachother. is there some mods witch are incompatible with TST Mod? if yes, witch one?

I have following Mods installed (on newest versions):

AmpYear

BeastlyScience

Chatterer

CrossFeedEnabler

FShangarExtender

FusTek

HooliganLabs

Hot Beverage Inc

KAS

Keramzit

Kethane

Klockheed_Martian

LTech

MechJebb2

NavyFish

NearFuture

PMV-25

PMV-50

RBI

RoverScience

SCANsat

Squad

Subassemblies

SubassemblyManager

TarsierSpaceTech

TracksDll

TreeLoader

UmbraSpaceIndustries

ModuleManager.2.1.0

ResearchThemAll.dll

Looks like the hard drive data error was a user error. Seems the data I got on EVA was too big for the drive so it looked like it wasn't transferring but it just wouldn't fit. Tried it with the big drive and no problems. :)

Hey Guys, i have some Trouble with this Mod, the HDD´s working very fine with all my mods and sience, but.. if i build a ship/station/probe withe the cam or a telescope, my probe is crusing out of my cameraview in a high of 7000 meters. its in both bit versions the same, in 32 and 64 bit. the 2nd issue wich comes after the "cruse away" is, that my orbit changes via w,a,s,d, controll without some thrust, i can change my pa/ap just with this keys, and my probe is permanently getting speed without some engines on. somebody else knwo this problem? a friend of me had exacly the same problem. sorry for my bad english... hope you could understand what i mean.

i have many mods installed, but all i have working very fine with eachother. is there some mods witch are incompatible with TST Mod? if yes, witch one?

This is a problem I have experienced a couple of times but it's not something that I can reproduce consistently, which suggests its probably a problem with TST but another mod is triggering it to go wrong. Could you pm me a log file from a bad mission and I'll see if there's anything I can see, I have a couple of ideas what it could be and will try and investigate them this evening

here i give you a screenshot via PM from a bad mission, but there are no helpful details in there. as information, i buildet a simple rocket with vanilla components, 2x 2 FL-T400 Fuel Tanks,

2x LV-T30 Liquid Fuel Engine, 1x TR-18D Stack Seperator, and the ChemCam, the same will the game do with both Telescopes, but NOT with the HDD´s, they are fine.

*Edit*

For the others, here is the Screenshot too.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=290204483

Edited by Frettchen
...,fghfdhd

A new BETA release with contracts for Telescopes and ChemCam is up, please be aware that I haven't had time to fully test this, but it should be pretty stable, it's quite a large set of changes to the code base and so there's a lot to test.

Enjoy, tobyb121

This time there really does seem to be a hard drive problem :P With the .24.1 update using the 4.0 Beta the hard drives to not collect data. I tried it with the large one to make sure it wasn't a space issue this time. ;) I collected science from a variety of items on a ship and clicked the fill drive button at various times including after everything was filled. The drive remained at 0% at all times and received no notices from single use modules as are normal when the science is transferred. Have not tried other items yet, still working my way up the tree.

Output_Log.txt: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3pyafpbif9bujce/output_log.txt

More info, this problem remains with .24.2 and version 3.0 of this mod has the problem as well.

Edited by JeffreyCor

I'm using 4.0 and my favourite feature here by far is the telescopes but I'm getting crazy camera wobble on the telescopes at fairly modest zoom levels. I never played .23.5/3.0 though so I don't have a frame of reference of how much wobble to expect. Was the wobble fix not implemented in 4.0 beta or, alternatively, is there some trick to building a proper telescope platform?

This time there really does seem to be a hard drive problem :P With the .24.1 update using the 4.0 Beta the hard drives to not collect data. I tried it with the large one to make sure it wasn't a space issue this time. ;) I collected science from a variety of items on a ship and clicked the fill drive button at various times including after everything was filled. The drive remained at 0% at all times and received no notices from single use modules as are normal when the science is transferred. Have not tried other items yet, still working my way up the tree.

Output_Log.txt: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3pyafpbif9bujce/output_log.txt

More info, this problem remains with .24.2 and version 3.0 of this mod has the problem as well.

Ok, there was a small change in the KSP API which broke compatibility, it's a pretty easy fix, so I'll have a new version up soon.

I'm using 4.0 and my favourite feature here by far is the telescopes but I'm getting crazy camera wobble on the telescopes at fairly modest zoom levels. I never played .23.5/3.0 though so I don't have a frame of reference of how much wobble to expect. Was the wobble fix not implemented in 4.0 beta or, alternatively, is there some trick to building a proper telescope platform?

I've just tested this and I wasn't getting significant wobble, you will find if you are looking far away the movement from SAS will make it impossible to focus. I wrote a little guide that should help you take some pictures:

Personally I find it easiest to get into an orbit around Kerbin of ~200-300 km then target the planet and turn the ship towards it (be sure to click the telescope and select control from here!!) use fine control (Caps lock on) and with SAS on and 1x zoom get the target planet in the centre of the view window. At this stage I wait for the position to settle and then turn OFF SAS. For some ships it might be necessary to time warp on and off quickly to kill and residual movement but you can see across the solar system without doing this. Then slowly zoom in adjusting the camera using I,J,K,L (with RCS off!!!) to control the camera servos directly. Doing this you should be able to take a stable picture of any of the planets without too much difficulty, though killing off the movement of the ship is most important. There will always be a little jittering and movement as the angles when you're looking at distant planets are so small (the field of view for max zoom is about 0.001 degrees).

Hope this helps

EDIT: 4.1 now up with HDD fix

Edited by tobyb121

when attaching the chem cam to a rocket the focus is lost on the rocket after a couple of second after the launch(its like camera drops a couple of meters below the default focus point) when the chemcam is removed everything is ok maybe you can take a look at it ksp 0.24.2 32bit in sandbox mode

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.