[v0.24] Tarsier Space Technology (v4.5c Now with GALAXIES!!!)

tobyb121

I am confused about how the science works for the telescope. When I take a picture I get something like, "Orbiting X while looking at Y." But when I recover that data it becomes, "Orbiting Eve while looking at Eve." This from a telescope that never left Kerbin's SOI. This is just really confusing me, are you capable of getting more data from taking pictures of other planets while orbiting different planetary bodies or not.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know why I would see excessive shaking? I have SAS off and am not pushing any buttons, but my camera view is shaking all over the place. At high zoom levels the view bounces all around. I can hit warp, then unwarp with SAS off (to kill any motion) but it still shakes.

Also, less important, but I have the Visual Enhancements edition of this (I have Visual Enhancements, and astronomer's visual enhancements installed) and the view of planets glitches out like this, constantly changing artifacts:

Any ideas for a fix?

pKqzLt4.png

Does anyone know why I would see excessive shaking? I have SAS off and am not pushing any buttons, but my camera view is shaking all over the place. At high zoom levels the view bounces all around. I can hit warp, then unwarp with SAS off (to kill any motion) but it still shakes.

Also, less important, but I have the Visual Enhancements edition of this (I have Visual Enhancements, and astronomer's visual enhancements installed) and the view of planets glitches out like this, constantly changing artifacts:

Any ideas for a fix?

http://i.imgur.com/pKqzLt4.png

I believe the problem with shaking is due to how ksp renders the distant planets, it creates a separate smaller version on the solar system that has been scaled down and draws it using a separate camera. You basically have one camera for the nearest planet and the ship etc. Then a second camera rendering a scaled down version of the other planets. I believe the shaking problems are effectively caused by rounding errors between these two "worlds" and so I don't really see a fix for it unfortunately :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I believe the shaking problems are effectively caused by rounding errors between these two "worlds" and so I don't really see a fix for it unfortunately :(

Can't you just lock the camera on the target when it's inside FOV and the magnification level is too high for image to be stable enough? Or maybe it's somehow possible to take this rounding error into account?

Also maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think this is caused by rendering method. I was experimenting with MechJeb PID settings to make it less jittery with TGT+ mode, and was able to reduce shaking a bit. MechJeb attitude correction window has some useful info about forces applied, and it was clear that jitter is coming from MechJeb. My guess is that MechJeb calculates object position from orbit parameters, and oscillation is caused by lack of precision in these parameters.

is there a way to add "collect data" on EVA on HDD? thx

Yes. Do some looking in the part file for something you know you can grab data from (like a Goo canister) and you'll see the lines you need to add via ModuleManager config to the HDD part

Yes. Do some looking in the part file for something you know you can grab data from (like a Goo canister) and you'll see the lines you need to add via ModuleManager config to the HDD part

yeahhh alredy added this

dataIsCollectable = True

collectActionName = Collect Data

interactionRange = 1.2

but nothing happens could you be a bit more specific please?

yeahhh alredy added this

dataIsCollectable = True

interactionRange = 1.2

but nothing happens could you be a bit more specific please?

Edited by UAL002

I did the same thing just now man, nogo. Guess we aren't interpreting it right

STANDBY EDIT: Trying something else

EDIT: Nope

This is what the file I added looks like. Nogo.

//////// TST Science Drives ////////

@PART[scienceHardDrive*]

{

MODULE

{

name = ModuleScienceExperiment

dataIsCollectable = True

interactionRange = 1.2

rerunnable = True

}

}

i see didn't work out for you too

maybe try like store data take data for the command pod or something anyways i didn't have any luck

i tried all possible combinations known to me and nothing...also when trying to add Resource electric charge and the rate at witch the electric is depleted to the telescope it stops working all together

maybe its all hard coded into the "dll" who knows maybe some one else has a solution

so far i haven't had any luck

This isn't going to work with simple Module Manager configs, the code will need a specific method for EVA collection; until that exists there's nothing you can do.

well guess will wait then thanks DMagic for the info

Alright, I did some testing and it looks like it comes from the joints. I've tried the telescope from Hullcam VDS, and it doesn't shake as long as you keep it minimal. After playing a bit with Mechjeb's PID controller, I was able to take a picture of Eeloo with almost no jitter. Without mechjeb, there's no jitter as well (only the natural drift).

StbK7Uj.jpg

The point is that Hullcam VDS' telescope consists of just ONE part (with a pod, scope, solar panels and reaction wheel included), so it's a rigid body for the physics engine. With MechJeb's AR-202 attached, the view starts to shake a bit. With more parts attached, it's shaking just like this telescope. Cacteye Telescope is also prone to shaking, since it's also modular.

Alright, I did some testing and it looks like it comes from the joints. I've tried the telescope from Hullcam VDS, and it doesn't shake as long as you keep it minimal. After playing a bit with Mechjeb's PID controller, I was able to take a picture of Eeloo with almost no jitter. Without mechjeb, there's no jitter as well (only the natural drift).

The point is that Hullcam VDS' telescope consists of just ONE part (with a pod, scope, solar panels and reaction wheel included), so it's a rigid body for the physics engine. With MechJeb's AR-202 attached, the view starts to shake a bit. With more parts attached, it's shaking just like this telescope. Cacteye Telescope is also prone to shaking, since it's also modular.

This is quite interesting, I'll have a look into it. I could move the camera so that it is attached to the base part rather than the armature, so it would hopefully lose the wobble.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.