Kerbal last names - replacing "Kerman" with random (last) name generator.

I never was a fan of fact that last name of all kerbals is simply "Kerman" and I would vastly prefer to see it generated randomly just like the first names - what is the point after all - if we giving them all same surname we can simply remove it completely and leave first name alone. What everyone else thinks about it? Better to stay with "Kerman" or replace it by random generated last names?

I am kinda used to them being all Kermans. In my opinion they could drop the last name completely, the're all Jeb, Bill, Bob, etc for us anyway.

Maybe we could pretend Kerman is not a name but a rank, something like Captain. You must become Kerman before they allow you to apply for going to space...

For me TextEdit on OSX is my friend:

Go into the settings .cgf file

Scroll down until you find the kerbal names

pick one that hardly pops up

Change it's name

Copy and paste your new identity close to Jeb, Bill, and Bob or ahead of them.

I am kinda used to them being all Kermans. I am kinda used to them being all Kermans. In my opinion they could drop the last name completely, the're all Jeb, Bill, Bob, etc for us anyway.

I'm also used to it, but same thing I can say about aerodynamic model, all kerbals looking the same or rockets being too wobbly - I'm playing this game since first public release (0.7.3?) so it's all became a norm to be - but that doesn't mean I don't want to see changes.

Maybe we could pretend Kerman is not a name but a rank, something like Captain. You must become Kerman before they allow you to apply for going to space...

That seems a little too far-fetched to me :)

For me TextEdit on OSX is my friend:

(-snip-)

Yes, I'm aware of the fact that it is possible to edit kerbal names by editing save file. But it would be much more preferable if game simply generated random surnames, or at least gave me possibility of changing kerbal name while being in game (like in XCOM for example).

Edited by jcraft

Yes, I'm aware of the fact that it is possible to edit kerbal names by editing save file. But it would be much more preferable if game simply generated random surnames, or at least gave me possibility of changing kerbal name while being in game (like in XCOM for example).

Ahh. Just a suggestion then.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.