The Venturer Program: Resurgence

RogueMason

The Venturer Program: Resurgence

tUXpRHJ.jpg

------------------------------

The success of the first manned missions to the planets in over a decade has been met with great relief; the Venturer Program has captivated the minds of all those with their eyes turned skywards. There is one more mission planned for the MSV Venturer before the re-colonisation of Duna takes place, and it is to explore one of the more recent geological formations of the red planet. However, a dark shroud looms over the space program; the revelation of continued Firespitter activity has raised alarm bells with many, prompting investigations that could tip a precarious stalemate over the edge at any moment…

Prologue

Chapter 1: The fourth planet

Chapter 2: Descent

Chapter 3: Investigations

Chapter 4: A volcano in my back yard

Chapter 5: Mount Volcas

Chapter 6: Elite

Chapter 7: Dilemma

Chapter 8: The empty seat

Chapter 9: Project Nebula

Chapter 10: The show must go on -- Part One

Chapter 11: The show must go on -- Part Two

Chapter 12: Wolf

Chapter 13: Home run

Chapter 14: Encounter

Chapter 15: Firespitter

Epilogue

Previously:

The Venturer Program: Mission One

The Venturer Program: Dres Expedition

Edited by RogueMason

PROLOGUE

Several months after the second Venturer mission. A tape from several weeks after the mission is playing on the television, with Buzz, Gene, and Lengas sat at the far end of the room.

KIN Reporter: “So tell me, President Booker, can you shed any light at all on this Krumer Conspiracy? We already know that he was ousted for corruption, but there seems to be more behind this tale than you’re letting on.â€Â

Booker: “Well, as much as I’d love to reveal this information to the public, it’s currently a very fragile situation we’ve found ourselves, so I can’t elaborate.â€Â

KIN Reporter: “But we already know of the involvement of Krumer with Firespitter Company, a group renowned for their aggressive tactics in any matter they’re called into. If they still owe their allegiance to Krumerâ€â€Ã¢â‚¬Å“

Booker: “Look, I’m going to have to stop you there. There is seriously nothing I can say on this matter without tipping a very delicate stalemate. Hell, if this interview even goes live, we could have trouble.â€Â

KIN Reporter: “Is that so?â€Â

Booker: “Yes, so I’d advise that you cease the investigation into the matter for now. I don’t want to sound rude, but it’s the only way.â€Â

KIN Reporter: “You seem quite determined to avoid revealing anything, Mr. President.â€Â

Booker: “This isn’t the Kraken War; we aren’t in any mortal danger. We’re faced with a political conspiracy, and that is something that needs more care and attention than simply blowing alien spacecraft out of the sky. I’m sorry I couldn’t help make the front page of the newspapers, but hopefully it will become clear in time.â€Â

The tape flickers to an end.

Buzz: “It’s really that delicate?â€Â

Lengas: “Hmm. Then again, military ops are usually like this.â€Â

Buzz: “I know that, I was in the air force.â€Â

Gene: “Who says this is a military operation?â€Â

Buzz: “It certainly seems that way. Besides, if it weren’t, why would I have been given a starfighter, and why would we only just be watching this video?

Gene: “Hmm, good points.â€Â

Lengas: “You’re getting slow, man.â€Â

Gene: “Shut up.â€Â

Lengas: “Heh.â€Â

Buzz: “Damn it, this is all ridiculous. If we just reveal what they’re doing, then they’d be paralysed by the metaphorical spotlight pointed at them.â€Â

Lengas: “There’s nothing you can do though. You’re just going to have to fly that ship. You aren’t alone though, are you?â€Â

Buzz: “I think they have 3 other guys who’ll be in orbit as well as myself. That’s a point, when am I going up in this… what’s it called again?â€Â

Gene: “It’s an MSI A87 Arrow light fighter.â€Â

Buzz: “Right.â€Â

Gene: “As for your launch time, you’ll be heading up into orbit in 12 hours, so I’d suggest getting some rest now.â€Â

Buzz: “Probably a good idea; I don’t want to be getting sleepy on a secret mission.â€Â

Lengas: “That would be problematic.â€Â

Buzz: “Didn’t you say you were heading off to the astronaut complex?â€Â

Lengas: “I said in 5 minutes.â€Â

Buzz: “That usually… never mind.â€Â

Lengas: “Man, I remember my starfighter flights. I can’t say any were more eventful than the first Mechani-Kraken incident, though. That was heart-pounding.â€Â

Gene: “I still maintain that you were reckless that day, Lengas.â€Â

Lengas: “I survived, didn’t I?â€Â

Gene: “Only because you’re a damn good pilot that knew the engineering aspects of your ship.â€Â

Lengas: “Too right. To be fair though, I do remember some guys more reckless than myself. There was a session of War Games in LKO involving a couple of fighters, and some of the pilots actually took their ships about a dozen kilometres into the atmosphere. They got out alright, but they ended up with severe reprimands. That was, hmm… 32 years ago… geez, that was when Outreach Colony was being planned out.â€Â

Gene: “Eh, I still maintain that you’re the most reckless I’ve seen.â€Â

Lengas: “Fine then, doesn’t bother me.â€Â

Gene: “Well, I suppose I’d better go and check on the progress of the Venturer. They should have been in Duna’s SOI for a while now. Buzz, get some rest, and Lengas… just don’t go and get into too much trouble, would you?â€Â

Lengas: “Oh ha ha. Catch you later, Gene.â€Â

Buzz: “Come on, I could use a drink right about now.â€Â

Lengas: “Sure thing, buddy.â€Â

Crew, MSV Venturer:

Franklin: Captain of MSV Venturer, mission commander, pilot. Enlisted from test flight program.

Sigler: Ship doctor. Enlisted from med school.

Scott: Pilot and trajectory planner. Enlisted out of the air force.

Hans: Engineer. Enlisted from university.

Mernie: Geologist, some medical expertise. Spent time studying samples from Mun and Minmus.

Hmm, it's quiet around here, not that I'm concerned or complaining... maybe I ought to be concerned, though. You could have all been systematically assassinated, for all I know, and that would be a pretty bad situation to find myself faced with. I could even be next on the hit list... :0.0:

Or I could blame Christmas for distracting you from the true path of enjoying my glorious story. Maybe even those advent calendars that carry on until New Year's Eve could have you occupied. The list of potential explanations goes on and on :confused:

As for the story, I suppose I can administer a bit more information about the schedule; it's going to be quite slow. I have a few chapters written up and waiting for posting, but I suddenly realised I have an overwhelming amount of pictures, mostly from the last part of the story which I finished off in-game today (this bit should be pretty good :wink:). You're going to have to be patient, I'm afraid... that is if you haven't become subject to any of the aforementioned distractions or inconveniences, which would be problematic, really.

I can give you an explanation for myself: the amount of time I am allowed on the Internet has decreased quite a bit for me. Thus, I have to choose between the forums and writers like you and YouTube and players like Scott Manley. Most of the time I choose Scott, but every once in a while I check in here.

Oh, I was just chased through downtown Tokyo by the Illuminati. No worries. :)

Systematic assassination, just like I said. Looks like I'll need to rent that sniper rifle after all.

I may post the next chapter at some point over the weekend. May.

CHAPTER 1: THE FOURTH PLANET

KVawbb5.png

Franklin: “Control, be advised, we are one hour from Duna aerobrake, over.â€Â

KSC: “Copy that, Franklin. Everything else alright out there?â€Â

Franklin: “Everything’s fine, thanks for asking. What about on your end?â€Â

KSC: “Well, the final components went up for the MSV Enterprise; we can anticipate launching her mission in a few months once everything is cleared. Other than that, it’s been relatively dull.â€Â

Franklin: “Have Firespitter tried to pull any stunts lately?â€Â

KSC: “Not sure, but we’re still investigating.â€Â

Franklin: “Alright, thanks control, Venturer out.â€Â

Scott: “Sounds promising.â€Â

Sigler: “I don’t know, those Firespitter guys are slippery. Just as we get a lead, it fades away into nothing or something completely different. I tell you, they’re good at leading a wild goose chase.â€Â

Scott: “I can agree with that.â€Â

Franklin: “I’m still uncertain about the security of this mission. We’ve made good progress so far, but the way they’ve been going, they could have snuck out here and got a few nasty surprises waiting for us.â€Â

Sigler: “Doubtful, but I guess they’ve done some sneaky damages already, so who knows?â€Â

Franklin: “Well, if they screw with my mission…â€Â

Hans: “Haven’t we talked about this already?â€Â

Franklin: “Yeah, I’m just reiterating, that’s all.â€Â

Hans: “Hmm.â€Â

Mernie: “I’m honestly more concerned about our landing site. It seems a bit risky, if you ask me.â€Â

Hans: “The volcano? That thing hasn’t erupted for years, has it?â€Â

Mernie: “Well, I wasn’t actually thinking of that, but I guess it’s another thing to worry about; it could go off again while we’re thereâ€â€Ã¢â‚¬Å“

Franklin: “At which point we’ll haul ass in the lander and get back to orbit. If it’s crashing into the side of the mountain you’re concerned about, then you needn’t worry; not only did the unmanned equipment manage it, but we’ve got good pilots and Stanley to help us out.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “Indeed, I will assist with the descent. You have nothing to fear, Mernie.â€Â

Mernie: “That coming from an AI that went half-psychotic a few months ago.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “That was an overreaction. It will not happen again.â€Â

Mernie: “No doubt…â€Â

Sigler: “Anyway, come on guys, we need to prepare for this aerobrake.â€Â

Franklin: “Indeed we do.â€Â

One hour later…

FcKwuC3.png

Scott: “Solar panels have retracted successfully.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “Two minutes until atmospheric entry.â€Â

Franklin: “Get everything secured back there if it isn’t already, and then get seated.â€Â

Sigler: “I know the drill. Of course, securing everything would mean leaving me bored out of my brains, seeing as no-one will get injured by a flying toothbrush or something…â€Â

Mernie: “You actually wantâ€â€Ã¢â‚¬Å“

Sigler: “No, of course not! It’s a good thing that no-one has been hurt under my watch on these missions, but it also means that I’m reduced to helping with tasks that I have little knowledge about. Believe me, that can get very boring very quickly.â€Â

Mernie: “Hmm, I see your point.â€Â

Franklin: “Don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll find something to keep yourself occupied.â€Â

Sigler: “No doubt about that; I managed on Dres.â€Â

Scott: “At least you got to go down to the surface of that asteroid; I could have left you in orbit instead of taking you down with me.â€Â

Sigler: “Can’t complain then, can I?â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “One minute.â€Â

Franklin: “Got it.â€Â

Half an hour later…

Dz5BIxb.png

ANSI/Stanley: “Inclination change complete; we are now aligned with Ike. The landing site will be in daylight in a few orbits time.â€Â

Franklin: “Right, let’s get the lander ready to go. Hans, come give me a hand.â€Â

Hans: “I’ll be through in a moment.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “Beginning lander power-up sequence. All systems nominal.â€Â

Hans: “That’s a good start. I don’t know what we’re going to do if this thing fails on us; Project Nebula is sort of riding on this lander working.â€Â

Scott: “Even though this one is just for use on Duna.â€Â

Hans: “Well yeah, but if this lander works, then the one being used on the Enterprise will be cleared for use on worlds ranging from Gilly to Duna, size-wise.â€Â

Scott: “True enough.â€Â

Sigler: “I don’t know what’s more exciting; re-colonising Duna or Project Nebula.â€Â

Franklin: “I’d say Nebula, personally, but that’s because I’m a pilot, and a pilot can’t do much when seated in a base on a dusty rock.â€Â

Sigler: “You have a point, but imagine it; Outreach 2.0. That would be pretty impressive. Plus they’re also thinking of re-using the Venturer landing sites as small bases.â€Â

Franklin: “That makes sense. Why make more sites if you have some already?â€Â

Sigler: “Exactly.â€Â

Franklin: “Eh, not for me to worry about right now, anyway. I just need to make sure I get Hans and Mernie down to the ground in one piece.â€Â

Mernie: “Which would be much appreciated.â€Â

Franklin: “I’m sure it would be.â€Â

Sigler: “Mernie, is there anything you’re unsure of, or do you think you can take care of their boo-boos down there?â€Â

Mernie: “I think I’ll be alright, Sigler.â€Â

Sigler: “Ok then, but give me a shout over comms if you need help.â€Â

Mernie: “I’ll bear that in mind.â€Â

I4HOT7m.png

UvtwXFa.png

CHAPTER 2: DESCENT

GeVe9Jp.png

Hans: “It all looks fine from out here.â€Â

Franklin: “Copy that.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “T minus 45 minutes to de-orbit burn.â€Â

Hans: “Man, you guys should see it out here, it’s stunning!â€Â

Franklin: “Need I remind you to be careful because you’re on EVA?â€Â

Hans: “You needn’t; I know the risks. I’m just saying that this is one of the most incredible things I’ve ever seen.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “I recommend you return to the ship, Hans. Final preparations for the landing need to be made, and cannot be carried out without your expertise.â€Â

Hans: “Copy that Stanley, but give me a few more minutes to marvel at the planet.â€Â

45 minutes later…

Hans: “We’re clear of the docking port. Engines online.â€Â

Franklin: “Stanley, is the descent trajectory plotted?â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “Affirmative. Please try to follow it as closely as possible.â€Â

Franklin: “Why wouldn’t I do that?â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “…Unknown.â€Â

Franklin: “Then why’d you say it?â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “It was merely cautionary, nothing more.â€Â

Franklin: “Cautionary, but unnecessary.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “On the contrary, Franklin, it is part of more core programming to issue warnings and cautions; I’m afraid it is completely necessary.â€Â

Franklin: “I don’t thinkâ€â€Ã¢â‚¬Å“

Mernie: “Franklin, instead of trying to argue with the AI, could you take us down to the surface?â€Â

Franklin: “Yes, yes, just… hold on, de-orbiting now.â€Â

RdwnaNx.png

ANSI/Stanley: “Continue along this heading for 2 minutes and 4 seconds. Fuel levels optimal.â€Â

Hans: “I think this thing should be fine for getting us off the surface again, once we’ve transferred the fuel from the rover and habitation modules. Hell, I think it’ll be fine without.â€Â

Franklin: “Mission parameters call for the fuel transfer, so we won’t be able to test your thoughts.â€Â

Hans: “I know that.â€Â

Mernie: “I don’t care as long as we can get home again.â€Â

Hans: “No doubt that we will, Mernie.â€Â

zmAc9Id.png

ANSI/Stanley: “Optimal trajectory achieved. Fuel levels optimal.â€Â

Franklin: “Alright, that’s the first burn done. Hans, arm the radial engines.â€Â

Hans: “Alright, they’re armed. Parachutes are also ready to deploy.â€Â

Mernie: “How many G’s will the ‘chutes put us under?â€Â

Hans: “Hmm… probably about 4 or 5, bearing in mind they’ll be decelerating us from around 500 metres per second to around 20 metres per second.â€Â

Franklin: “Sounds about right, based on previous Duna missions.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “I concur.â€Â

Mernie: “Alright, that isn’t too bad, I suppose.â€Â

UqPXFVt.png

ZjPSSOd.png

Franklin: “Ok, second burn is now under way.â€Â

Mernie: “We’ll be passing awfully close to the top of the volcano…â€Â

Franklin: “We’ll be fine.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “Predicted trajectory puts the lander at over 2km from the highest point of the mountain.â€Â

Franklin: “See? Plenty of clearance.â€Â

Mernie: “Ok then…â€Â

4jlFbmO.png

Mernie: “Hngh!â€Â

Hans: “Drogue ‘chutes fired.â€Â

Franklin: “Man, if you thought that was bad, Mernie, just you wait for the main parachutes.â€Â

Mernie: “Oh no…â€Â

iUo7yMs.png

Mernie: “HNNGGH!â€Â

Hans: “Hmmph… main ‘chutes fired, drogue ‘chutes fully deployed.â€Â

Mernie: “That hurt…â€Â

Franklin: “Probably all the months in zero gravity for you, but it shouldn’t have been that bad, really.â€Â

Mernie: “Says the ex-test pilot.â€Â

Franklin: “…Fair play.â€Â

XtUqyJz.png

ANSI/Stanley: “500 metres from the surface. Please note that the lander has overshot the base site by 1.5km; a hop across the surface will be required.â€Â

Franklin: “That’s the worst part over with now, Mernie.â€Â

Mernie: “Unless we crash.â€Â

Hans: “Ever the optimist, aren’t you?â€Â

Mernie: “Expect the worst, but hope for the best.â€Â

Hans: “You live by that?â€Â

Mernie: “When it comes to space travel, I find it useful. It keeps me alert.â€Â

Hans: “The best thing really is to not think about the potential disasters, otherwise you’ll be a nervous wreck by the end of a sub-orbital hop.â€Â

Mernie: “Doesn’t keep you on edge as much, though.â€Â

Hans: “Pessimist.â€Â

Mernie: “Well, for a pessimist, I’m pretty optimistic, I think.â€Â

Hans: “I’ve heard worse pessimism than yours, I suppose.â€Â

Mernie: “I’ll bet you have.â€Â

GTHfBFn.png

h0PvnpR.png

ANSI/Stanley: “Touchdown. Commence the hop when you are ready.â€Â

Franklin: “Let’s get it done.â€Â

OzLUkh2.png

MHmofKq.png

Franklin: “And there we have it.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “Final touchdown achieved. Fuel levels optimal for ascent to orbit. Please be advised that you will still need to refuel this lander from the base facilities.â€Â

Hans: “I can start doing that once I have the rover.â€Â

Franklin: “Speaking of which… Stanley, is it active?â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “Affirmative. It will be here shortly.â€Â

Well, over here, it is now 2014. I'm not sure what my resolution will be, if I even decide to go by one, but that is not the point of this message.

A year ago, I believe I was in the midst of reading czokletmuss' Jool AAR. It was, and still is, one of the most captivating stories on the forum. A short while later, and another little story appears about a Duna colony, and that immediately triggered something in my head; an idea, a mission.

It became known as Outreach Colony: The home on Duna. I had little idea what to expect, but I knew I wanted to write this story in the style of czokletmuss. Looking back now, it's the least well written of my stories, but there is something about it that makes it one of my favourites. The Mechani-Kraken plot was definitely unique, but I thought it risky. Nevertheless, I went ahead with it, and what a reception you guys gave me. I'd have probably continued to write Odysseus without such a reception, but I suddenly had this audience that seemed very much interested in my work. It made me determined to write better.

Roll on a few stories later to Resistance: The interplanetary struggle, which I believe now stands as one of my more popular pieces. That final work in my so-called Kraken Saga was pretty intensive to complete, and while I would have loved a massive fleet action at some point, the little battle scenes were pretty laggy, enough to shoot down any hopes of having cruisers everywhere. However, it too stands as a favourite, and you guys certainly seemed to enjoy it.

And then came a new series, following on from the last. I must say, the Venturer Program is complicated. I am really trying to develop my characters more fully, and if the Dres Expedition was anything, it was a significant step in the right direction on that front. Now, Resurgence... again, my characters are developing, and I promise you, the plot will definitely thicken. You'll just have to wait for me to post the chapters :wink:

And after all this, I want to thank you guys; czokletmuss for inspiring me to write my own stories, and you lot comprising the audience; I've not read a single negative comment from anyone, which must be good. You've stuck around, and that's more than I could have asked. Heck, I've even inspired some of you, and that's totally mad!

To sum up, thank you all, and Happy New Year. 2014 should be a good one :D

CHAPTER 3: INVESTIGATIONS

Meanwhile, in Kerbin orbit…

66dROu2.png

KSC: “…Unfortunately, everything you do from now on will be listed as deniable in the event of your, umm… capture.â€Â

Buzz: “That’s reassuring.â€Â

KSC: “Well, with something as delicate as this, I’m afraid we don’t make the rules. We’re just passing on Admiral Kierson’s message.â€Â

Buzz: “Admiral Kierson, eh?â€Â

KSC: “You know him?â€Â

Buzz: “I spoke to him after we ousted Krumer. Friendly guy, and he certainly knows what he’s doing with regards to the fleet.â€Â

KSC: “Sounds about right. Anyway, he wants you to head to the former orbit of the MSW Dresden and pick through the debris there. I know it’s not much of a first assignment, but it needs to be done.â€Â

Buzz: “Copy that, control.â€Â

Several hours later…

Pxnhtpr.png

Buzz: “Alright, what do we have here… a parachute. Well, that’s interesting.â€Â

Buzz manoeuvres the Arrow for a closer look at the drifting debris.

Buzz: “Laser burns… hmm. Control, Buzz here, I need some info on the armaments of the Dresden.â€Â

KSC: “One moment… ok, the Dresden had 3 medium torpedoes and 4 laser turrets. Why are you asking?â€Â

Buzz: “Well, one thing is certain; they aren’t around anymore, but I found one of their emergency parachutes and it’s got laser burns on it. Are you sure Firespitter don’t have any armed vessels?â€Â

KSC: “They don’t have laser weapons, and as far as we can tell, they’ve only sent unarmed ships into orbit. What are you getting at, Buzz?â€Â

Buzz: “Just a theory, really, but what if that Firespitter signal cause the ship to fire at itself? Like I said, it’s just a thought, so I’ll try to find the black box of the ship to see what really happened. It should be floating around here somewhere.â€Â

KSC: “Hmm… well, whatever happened, the Dresden is gone, like you say. Damn… thanks for clarifying, anyway. You may want to head back to the spacedock.â€Â

Buzz: “Once I’m finished here, I’ll head off.â€Â

wWoREnA.png

Buzz: “Stupid parachute was just cluttering the place up, anyway…â€Â

Several more hours later…

ewK8ll6.png

Buzz: “Kerbin Spacedock, this is Buzz Kerman, requesting docking permission.â€Â

Kirfrid: “Copy that, d-docking permission granted. Will you need refuelling?â€Â

Buzz: “Affirmative. And is that you, Kirfrid?â€Â

5fo3LLB.png

Kirfrid: “Yeah, that’s me, Buzz. Interesting posting, this station. Anyway, we can expect f-fuel to be launched up to us in the next few days.â€Â

Buzz: “Roger that. By the way, your stammer has improved.â€Â

Kirfrid: “I had a couple of s-speech therapy sessions after we got back from Dres. It’s quite nice to be able to talk almost unimpaired.â€Â

Buzz: “I’ll bet it is. You’re not alone on that station, are you?â€Â

Kirfrid: “I think someone was due to come up at s-some point, but I’m not sure when that was supposed to be.â€Â

Buzz: “Well, we can chat then.â€Â

Kirfrid: “Indeed.â€Â

s25l8Iq.png

CHAPTER 4: A VOLCANO IN MY BACK YARD

YxQU0pU.png

ANSI/Stanley: “The rover is in motion. Please prepare for extravehicular activity.â€Â

Franklin: “Check your suits. I don’t want you decompressing.â€Â

Hans: “Somehow I doubt that they’d have sprung a leak since we left Venturer.â€Â

Franklin: “Check them anyway. You wouldn’t have noticed a leak in here.â€Â

Hans: “I’m an engineer, I think I’m aware that the operating pressures of our suits are the same as in the cabin.â€Â

Mernie: “I’m all good.â€Â

Hans: “As am I, for the record.â€Â

Franklin: “Ok. I was only making sure you guys were safe.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “The rover is waiting outside the lander. You may proceed to exit when ready.â€Â

Hans: “Alright then. I’ll power down the unnecessary systems while you’re outside.â€Â

Franklin: “Keep the probe core active; it could be useful.â€Â

Hans: “In case we get stuck up on the side of the mountain?â€Â

Franklin: “Or if we need to scramble back to orbit.â€Â

Hans: “Whatever, I was going to leave it on anyway.â€Â

Mernie: “Might be good if that thing erupts, too…â€Â

Hans: “I take it the seismometers will be the first things you place?â€Â

Mernie: “Yep.â€Â

Hans: “Fair enough.â€Â

mJoHc7W.png

Franklin: “Alright, everything looks good from out here; no damage that I can see.â€Â

Hans: “The computer reads 98.3% hull integrity; that’s just superficial structural strain, so there really ought to be no visible problems.â€Â

Franklin: “I’m nearly down on the surface. Hey, that’s a bit of a drop from the bottom of the ladder!â€Â

Hans: “…Oh yeah, I see. Still, not a problem in this gravity.â€Â

Franklin: “Well, here I go.â€Â

argQ0bu.png

Franklin: “I’m on the ground. Feels weird.â€Â

Mernie: “Is that all?â€Â

Franklin: “…â€Â

Hans: “Franklin?â€Â

Franklin: “Hmm?â€Â

Hans: “You went quiet there, buddy. Cat got your tongue?â€Â

Franklin: “No, no, I’m just taking it in. As for the feeling weird, it’s just… I’m on solid ground again after months of weightlessness. You can come out whenever, guys, but do be careful with that ladder.â€Â

Hans: “Righty then.â€Â

tY1cEq6.png

NqKNjU8.png

Hans: “You put the flag up without me?â€Â

Franklin: “I didn’t know you wanted to watch.â€Â

Hans: “You’ve hurt my feelings, now, man…â€Â

Franklin: “Oh very funny.â€Â

Hans: “Hah. Come on Mernie, it’s all clear.â€Â

KoeoR08.png

Franklin: “Now, here’s something I’ve been looking forward to.â€Â

Hans: “Ah yes, the rover.â€Â

Mernie: “Just don’t flip it over like the last bunch did with theirs.â€Â

Franklin: “I think we’ll be alright. If I can pilot a lander, I can drive a rover.â€Â

Mernie: “I hope so.â€Â

fvJE95b.png

aVeeVP2.png

Z4vu7hF.png

Hans: “Hmm, just like on Venturer…â€Â

Mernie: “I’ll have it filled with rocks before long. That should make it more homely.â€Â

Franklin: “You guys want to get the heaters on? It’s a bit cold for my liking.â€Â

Hans: “Only if you cook tonight’s meal.â€Â

Franklin: “Alright then, but I must warn you, I’m no chef.â€Â

eSR0caJ.png

hDrGGHc.png

0cGVmU8.png

In what I can only describe as a chapter-writing rampage, I have, in just one day, written up a whole FIVE chapters that are now awaiting their respective posting times. I promise you, these will be very interesting chapters indeed... :wink:

CHAPTER 5: MOUNT VOLCAS

The next day…

5ySxtNO.png

Franklin: “Everything checking out back there?â€Â

Hans: “Looks good. I even packed some lunch so we don’t have to head back here later.â€Â

Franklin: “Good thinking. Mernie, how about you?â€Â

Mernie: “Yeah, I’m fine.â€Â

Franklin: “Right then, off to the mountain.â€Â

kciq7lx.png

Franklin: “Hmm, this thing handles quite well actually.â€Â

Mernie: “It still drifts a bit more than I’m comfortable with.â€Â

Franklin: “Well, from what I hear, the first Venturer rover was a bit worse than this, so I’m pretty sure we’ll be alright.â€Â

Mernie: “They never drove up any 20 degree inclines like we’re about to.â€Â

Franklin: “True, but that will mean we’ll be moving quite slowly. Much safer.â€Â

Hans: “That’s if the wheels can manage an incline like this.â€Â

7HG1Ipm.png

Franklin: “I’ll make them manage the incline, if I have to.â€Â

Hans: “No, I think I’ll be doing that, seeing as I’m the engineer here.â€Â

Franklin: “…â€Â

Hans: “What?â€Â

Franklin: “Joke.â€Â

Hans: “Well, I know that!â€Â

Franklin: “Right.â€Â

Mernie.†Hey, can we stop by that boulder field first? It looks interesting.â€Â

Franklin: “Sure thing.â€Â

7AtpoUx.png

Mernie: “Hmm, these boulders are pretty big. I wonder…â€Â

Franklin: “I don’t suppose you need any help?â€Â

Mernie: “When it comes to geology, I’m pretty certain I know what I’m doing, but thanks for the offer. If I need help carrying some samples, then I’ll ask.â€Â

Franklin: “Alright then.â€Â

Hans: “What do you think they are, Mernie?â€Â

Mernie: “Well, given their shape, size, and proximity to the volcano, I’m pretty sure these are pyroclasts ejected during a violent eruption.â€Â

Hans: “Pyroclasts?â€Â

Mernie: “Volcanic bombs, to use less eloquent, but still accepted terminology.â€Â

Franklin: “Bombs??â€Â

Mernie: “They aren’t actually bombs, you fool, although there have been a few recorded incidents of explosive ejecta on Kerbin. It’s very rare that pyroclasts actually blow up.â€Â

Franklin: “Umm, how long does it take these explosive ones to blow up?â€Â

Mernie: “A matter of minutes after being erupted. The explosions are caused by gases trapped inside the bomb. As the surrounding rock cools, it contracts, pressurising the gases inside, ultimately resulting in the explosion.â€Â

Franklin: “So we’re safe then?â€Â

Mernie: “Yes, we’re safe.â€Â

Hans: “Why are they so big?â€Â

Mernie: “I’ve seen bombs on Kerbin that were about this size. If they can form on Kerbin, I’m sure they can form on Duna where the temperatures and gravity are both lower. The lower gravity explains why they are so far from the vent, actually…â€Â

Franklin: “Right, well, grab a few samples. You can head back here at some point to do more research, but for now, we’ve got other sites to look at.â€Â

Mernie: “Ok then.â€Â

vLcZpI0.png

jPsNmRq.png

Hans: “Hey, hey, stop here, I want to get a picture.â€Â

Franklin: “A picture?â€Â

Hans: “Yeah, I promised some people I’d get some pictures for them.â€Â

Franklin: “Oh… what people?â€Â

Hans: “My girlfriend, my parents…â€Â

Franklin: “I’ll bet your girlfriend wasn’t too happy to hear you were coming out this way.â€Â

Hans: “Well, she took some convincing, I’ll give you that. I promised her that I’d be alright, and that I’d bring her something from Duna.â€Â

Franklin: “Sounds good.â€Â

Hans: “Yeah…â€Â

Mernie: “Just don’t go robbing my samples, would you?â€Â

Hans: “Ha, sure thing buddy.â€Â

ZmaQrjS.png

Qe3uRO7.png

CHAPTER 6: ELITE

KSC: “We’re still on the hunt down here, but we have managed to intercept a few transmissions. A couple of the messages refer to their manned program, while others are talking about finances. The rest are encrypted.â€Â

Buzz: “What sort of details did you get on their manned program?â€Â

KSC: “Not a lot other than a roster of pilots.â€Â

Buzz: “Hmm. Well, inform me if you get any information about one of their ships launching. I’m sure it would be useful information to have.â€Â

KSC: “Roger that. Control out.â€Â

Buzz: “Ugh…â€Â

Kirfrid: “I take it there still isn’t much of a lead?â€Â

Buzz: “No, they’re encrypting all of their most important messages.â€Â

Kirfrid: “That is t-to be expected, really.â€Â

Wehrmund: “I think that they’re hiding something significant.â€Â

Buzz: “Naturally.â€Â

Kirfrid: “Umm, hold on, we’ve got a s-ship approaching.â€Â

FWkyTKo.png

D9evBda.png

Kirfrid: “Incoming vessel, please identify yourself.â€Â

Elite pilot: [sTATIC]

Kirfrid: “I repeat, identify yourself.â€Â

9059BV1.png

4t8RiJA.png

79p9CZT.png

Kirfrid: “AGGH!â€Â

Buzz: “Son of a--!

Wehrmund: “OOF!â€Â

Several alarms spring into life across the station and its docked ships. Buzz immediately flicks a few toggle switches in his fighter to power the ship up while the station begins to tumble and sway, while the unidentified ship positions itself for another attack.

Buzz: “I’m undocking now. Kirfrid, Wehrmund, get the hell out of here!â€Â

Wehrmund: “There’s only my ship to escape with!â€Â

Buzz: “One of you use the station RCS to get away!â€Â

bCq4wBt.png

BQjSwk4.png

A harsh undocking rocks the Arrow as Buzz pulls the fighter clear of the crippled station, flicking every single switch faster than usual. Several of the electrical systems begin complaining about the rapid and sudden power-up, but Buzz maintains control.

Buzz: “I'm clear, moving to engage!â€Â

MV8OYZ0.png

zieQ0Ix.png

Wehrmund: “That’s it, I’m getting the hell out of here!â€Â

Buzz: “Copy that, Wehrmund.â€Â

If2m0S4.png

F08FoKz.png

Buzz: “Wehrmund, move, this guy is targeting you!â€Â

Wehrmund: “I’m on it!â€Â

Cct6azG.png

Wehrmund: “NO, ARRRG --- [CONNECTION TERMINATED]â€Â

Buzz: “No!â€Â

Kirfrid: “Mother of Kerbin.â€Â

y8Tm4uX.png

Kirfrid: “Buzz, l-look out!â€Â

gefZqiH.png

Myyn9em.png

PUCfTXF.png

Buzz: “OOF!â€Â

Elite pilot: “Pitiful fool…â€Â

Buzz: “I’ve lost something… ok, I’ve lost one of my parachutes. Wait, Kirfrid, get off that station!â€Â

Kirfrid: “Oh… OOOH!â€Â

5eMCl3W.png

ilFJ4jd.png

9H1KgdL.png

Kirfrid: “I don’t even… ow, what the hell??â€Â

ajeSAep.png

Kirfrid: “Wait… oh f-frak!â€Â

vf358W4.png

Kirfrid: “AAH --- [CONNECTION TERMINATED]â€Â

Buzz: “KIRFRID! That’s it, you are going down, you b******!â€Â

Elite pilot: “Ha, try me.â€Â

Bt2yCwi.png

pcGgcCP.png

5rdCGSf.png

Elite pilot: “WHA --- [CONNECTION TERMINATED]â€Â

Buzz: “Target destroyed… oh frak, what the hell just happened…â€Â

aKChvms.png

Buzz sinks back into his seat, breathing a sigh of obvious distress. Who was this pilot that he’d just killed but who had also just killed two innocent people? Firespitter? It was the only explanation he could think of.

Buzz: “Control, Buzz here…â€Â

KSC: “Hey, haven’t we just spoken, buddy?â€Â

Buzz: “Save it, I’ve got a problem up here.â€Â

…

XoiRZlb.png

xD4LFgJ.png

Edited by RogueMason

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.