What do you guys do with your spent interplanetary mother-ships?

Soda Popinski

After my inteplanetary motherships have served their purpose, I usually leave them in orbit and reuse them as space stations or refuel them again.

But the latest ship I decided to do something different. I sent it on a crash course into Kerbin upon return from interplanetary space. The crew desperately tried to escape their deadly plunge as the ship flew through the atmosphere. Only one survived, having been inside the escape pod the entire time. It was fun. Kerbals need some punishment now and then.

Could combine 2 and 3 and kill 2 birds with one stone...just sayin :wink:

Yes but then I lose that kerbal forever since I turn off respawns... Same effect just my way is for science!

Though I suppose I could send one into the sun for science...

I normally park them back in orbit. It was a trend that I didn't start until 0.19 but if you think about it, it's one of the only vehicles in KSP that you can truly reuse for multiple missions. The craft below is quite possibly my most rewarding interplanetary mission to date, in 0.19.

KnyfWow.png

Something along the lines of this:

Permanently retired to sit and look pretty on minmus.

Oh snap! This is what's left of an asparagus mothership, the central core of my first Moho mission:

MinmusStatue.png

Minmus is a great resting place, as you can land just about anything there. I don't usually *have* spent motherships though, as I usually send flat-pack stations and leave them at the body I'm visiting.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.