Transmit AND turn back experiments

Hello

Here is my suggestion :

make it possible to transmit AND take your experiments back to kerbin. The transmission would be an insurance to get a little something, even if the return to kerbin goes bad.

Example : I take a few samples of the Mun's soil. I can transmit my team's observations on it, (or transmit the results of the science lab's analysis), that gives me a little science, but i can still get the samples back on kerbin for further study of it (and then, get the remaining science point).

Why would my soil samples disappear when i transmit my in-space study of it ? I should always be able to take it back to kerbin to study it with better equipment.

Answer 1) Kerbals use Wonkavision to transmit their experiments

Answer 2) You are absolutely right and it makes no sense whatsoever.

There are really two types of experiments: Physical and Data. Data experiments should transmit back for 100% (what extra data can we really get from a thermometer by getting it back to the space center?) Physical experiments should allow you to transmit back for some data, but you can't get the 100% return unless you return the sample. However, transmitting a little should NOT destroy the sample.

This is even more important now that Science Jr's and Goo containers "break" on their first use. You are being actively discouraged from transmitting data, even more so than you are because of power constraints.

your not really being discourged from transmitting data. since it's a lot easier to make a one way mission than a return, particularly if it's a surface observation. For early carreer mode build a probe send it out to another planet with a container get your initial dump to unlock stuff

It seems a bit unnecessary to step out, grab a sample, stuff it in the capsule, transmit it, step back out, grab another, put another one in for the return home.

I'm fairly sure that astronauts reported back with their findings of the surface material, and that it didn't in fact cause it to spontaneously vanish.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.