Turn off "Veterans will be revived"

Lizard771

Hello fellow Kerbals,

(not entirely sure where to post this) but there's an option in the persisent.sfs that says "MissingCrewsRespawn = boolean". So basically I want to turn off that the Veterans get revived. Will this line affect them or is it hard-coded into the game?

Now, in order to make this thread a discussion: What do you think about the Veterans getting revived? Should it stay in the game? Do you believe that Squad will change it eventually?

- L771

It should work up to a point, what you'll find though is the famous three should not return if you lose them, but as all other Kerbals have their names generated randomly you'll still occasionally get a Kerbal back that you had before.

It should take longer though :)

I use TAC Life Support mod so any kerbal I lose (No matter how they die) is not revived (This is a TAC option) However, I think that every kerbal should never respawn in the stock game, so that their loss is more meaningful (Apollo 1 anyone?)

What do you think about the Veterans getting revived? Should it stay in the game? Do you believe that Squad will change it eventually?

It'll probably be a selectable option when creating a new save at some point, same with the quicksave and quickload options. At least I hope it will. It would also be nice to start a new save with a completely random crew instead of the famous three. I wrote a simple mod to do that over the holidays but it doesn't do it automatically since there is no reliable way (that I could find) of determining that a new save was created as opposed to an old save loading, so I'm keeping it to myself.

It'll probably be a selectable option when creating a new save at some point, same with the quicksave and quickload options. At least I hope it will. It would also be nice to start a new save with a completely random crew instead of the famous three. I wrote a simple mod to do that over the holidays but it doesn't do it automatically since there is no reliable way (that I could find) of determining that a new save was created as opposed to an old save loading, so I'm keeping it to myself.

What about some line that looks at the UT in the persistent. Something like:

If UT= 0 then "new save"

I don't do any programing, so I don't know if it would work.

If UT= 0 then "new save"

It's an issue with the scene change and could probably be worked out. I didn't spend a ton of time on it...

If UT= 0 then "new save"

That could work if you could pull the UTC before the SpaceCenter scene has loaded (and thus before the clock has started). Barring that you could always check if it's within the first tenth of a second or something equally short and unlikely to have had any user interaction, but that's not very clean.

Could probably also check to see if any ProgressTracking or ResearchAndDevelopment Scenario nodes or any Vessel entries exist in the persistence file, but that's getting ugly quick.

That could work if you could pull the UTC before the SpaceCenter scene has loaded (and thus before the clock has started). Barring that you could always check if it's within the first tenth of a second or something equally short and unlikely to have had any user interaction, but that's not very clean.

Could probably also check to see if any ProgressTracking or ResearchAndDevelopment Scenario nodes or any Vessel entries exist in the persistence file, but that's getting ugly quick.

Hooking into the Progress Tracking and checking for FirstFlight being completed was the plan I had for hiding the "generate new crew" button, but if you did it automatically you could end up with the crew being regenerated every time you load up a game that you never flew in.

Hooking into the Progress Tracking and checking for FirstFlight being completed was the plan I had for hiding the "generate new crew" button, but if you did it automatically you could end up with the crew being regenerated every time you load up a game that you never flew in.

Yeah, it'd need to be in conjunction with something else... such as the clock, but that brings you back to the same issue as before. Not really a clean way to do it (if you can't get UTC=0), short of writing your own "I've initialized this!" node to the persistence file or keeping an external registry.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.