soyuz the underappreciated workhorse?

crazyewok

• 2 weeks later...

If I'm not mistaken most of the Soyuz accidents were early on.

Additionally, the Columbia disaster can be blamed by NASA not testing the environmentally-friendly foam they switched to for the possibility of it damaging the shuttle when it impacts it at high velocities.

On an much less serious sidenote, it may be a good idea if NASA stopped having ship names begin with the letter "C".

Possibly the reason why the Soyuz is the under appreciated workhorse is because the shuttle stole the spotlight. Why? which looks better: a bunch of tubes, or a stinkin space plane? Which one is more cutting edge: a bunch of tubes, or a space plane? Which one did more in orbit (on its own: Salyut doesn't count. Spacelab does because it was with the shuttle the entire time): a bunch of tubes, or a space plane? which one was/is run by the world super power: a bunch of tubes, or a space plane? which one had more of an impact on future spacecraft and there style: a bunch of tubes, or a space plane? which one became the the pop culture symbol of spaceflight: a bunch of tubes, or a space plane?

The answer to all of these questions is why the Soyuz is the under appreciated of the two work horses.

Really. The average Joe might see it as the icon of space flight.

But a lot of space nuts might think that Soyuz holds that place.

I think it would be a whole different story if NASA kept to the rocket-capsule configuration, Gemini or Apollo.

Then everyones opinion might be geared towards what country they like more instead of the actual spacecraft.

which one had more of an impact on future spacecraft and there style.

Yeah that why a bunch of tubes is still flying Americans to the ISS while the space plane is gathering rust in museums (or in billions of little exploded peices). Why is it the USA is going back to a bunch of tubes for future manned programs?

Id take the bunch of tubes.

Yeah that why a bunch of tubes is still flying Americans to the ISS while the space plane is gathering rust in museums (or in billions of little exploded peices). Why is it the USA is going back to a bunch of tubes for future manned programs?

Ok, seriously stop with the offensive Columbia/Challenger jokes you dick. You are ignoring decades of trust and friendship built between the Cosmonauts and the Astronauts. You are turning it into some heartless joke of "haha people died." Show some respect. I dont go around the forums joking about how Soyuz 1 Komarov died because he got in a ****ty spaceship. I don't joke about how "Dobrovolski was such a bad commander he couldn't even keep a door shut." No, I show some damn respect.

Riddle me this... Which one had two fatal accidents?

Surprise! Trick question! They both had exactly 2 fatal accidents over their entire careers, with the shuttle actually having more total flights.

Anyway, seriously, drop the blind nationalism, Chekov. It serves no one. In the end every nation is going to have to work together if we hope to make any meaningful progress in space exploration and especially colonization. Personally, I welcome that cooperation. Be they Russian, American, Chinese, or Indian, any investment into spaceflight ultimately uplifts all of humanity. So why don't you get over your "Russia first!" attitude and join the rest of the world. The cold war is over.

Riddle me this... Which one had two fatal accidents?

Surprise! Trick question! They both had exactly 2 fatal accidents over their entire careers, with the shuttle actually having more total flights.

Anyway, seriously, drop the blind nationalism, Chekov. It serves no one. In the end every nation is going to have to work together if we hope to make any meaningful progress in space exploration and especially colonization. Personally, I welcome that cooperation. Be they Russian, American, Chinese, or Indian, any investment into spaceflight ultimately uplifts all of humanity. So why don't you get over your "Russia first!" attitude and join the rest of the world. The cold war is over.

Well said, the perfect comment to bring out this article for. http://rbth.ru/science_and_tech/2013/04/26/russian_cosmonaut_remembers_us-russia_space_teamwork_during_25511.html

Since when did was burning a hole in an astronauts spacesuit meant to be non-lethal?

It wasn't strong enough to burn through something. It was intended to blind (both people and optics) and maybe cause moderate skin burns, all of that without the risk of depressurisation. Never got into production though, only to prototyping phase.

Since when did was burning a hole in an astronauts spacesuit meant to be non-lethal?

Depending on hole size (possibly even up to centimeters), this is only lethal if your space ship is too far away.

Ok, seriously stop with the offensive Columbia/Challenger jokes you dick. You are ignoring decades of trust and friendship built between the Cosmonauts and the Astronauts. You are turning it into some heartless joke of "haha people died." Show some respect. I dont go around the forums joking about how Soyuz 1 Komarov died because he got in a ****ty spaceship. I don't joke about how "Dobrovolski was such a bad commander he couldn't even keep a door shut." No, I show some damn respect.

What I stated wass a fact not a joke. 2 Shuttles blew up. One of the reasons they are not flying and soyzus is.

Not my issue if you cant handle the truth.

Your the one that should stop being so nationlistic.

Edited by crazyewok

Wow your a smart one. Or not.

Im neither USA or Russian so no nationalism here. Im just calling what I see and that was that the shuttle was overhyped and fundmemtaly flawed.

Im just calling it how I see it. Shuttle was overhyped.

Edited by crazyewok

What I stated wass a fact not a joke. 2 Shuttles blew up. One of the reasons they are not flying and soyzus is.

Not my issue if you cant handle the truth.

Your the one that should stop being so nationlistic.

If this was true the shuttle would have ended in 2003 or 1986 and the Soyuz would end in 1967 or 1971. Also Apollo would never fly. The shuttle was old and never replaced that is why it doesn't fly if they kept on building orbiters and changing the design like the Soyuz then it might still be flying.

If this was true the shuttle would have ended in 2003 or 1986 and the Soyuz would end in 1967 or 1971. Also Apollo would never fly. The shuttle was old and never replaced that is why it doesn't fly if they kept on building orbiters and changing the design like the Soyuz then it might still be flying.

That is actually one more fundamental flaw of reusable spacecraft: It's harder and more expensive to retrofit and upgrade a reusable vehicle than to continuously improve a series production design like soyuz. Although they were refitted several times with modern electronics, the Shuttle was stuck with a lot of 1970's technology. With Soyuz, there is practically no part that is identical between the original Soyuz 7K-OK and the modern Soyuz TMA.

Skyrunner: at least the Apollo one is obviously hypocritical of you, as you completely ignore the difference between "blowing up while on a mission" and "problems encountered while testing" (deadly or not).