[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

RealEngines: by SFJackBauer, it uses various models (from various parts packs) to represent real-world engines like the Merlin 1D, the SSME, the RS-27, Vulcain 2, RD-107, etc. Like the other two, only the patches are included; you need the part packs too. Because Squad's engines don't look like real engines, they're not supported. RealEngines supports the least number of engines, but each one is lovingly set to be an exact 1:1 performance clone of a real engine, with as close a model as SFJackBauer could find or tweak.

I Want to give these a try but what part packs do I need? I can't seem to Google up any RealEngine pack. I currently have KW, NovaPunch, and AIES installed. Do I need any other parts packs to work with RealEngines?

Do I need any other parts packs to work with RealEngines?

You don't NEED them to work but yes, there are other mods which are supported.

AIES (Partial support for pods, full support for battery/RTG/solar panels; engines)

KW Rocketry (mostly american and european engines)

NovaPunch (partially, more support coming soon)

Bobcat Soviet engines pack (Soviet/Russian engines)

BT Engine Pack (Merlin 1D)

F-1 Engine replica (need to remove the space from the partName though)

KerbX (for SpaceX engines)

RLA Stockalike alternative models (Shuttle OMS)

And also LazTek's SpaceX is compatible when you use my (separate) Rescale config

Is there a link for that, or could you send it my way? I have the parts but not the rescale config.

Sorry meant to include that in the post. Just drop it in your RealismOverhaul folder and if you find any bugs, shoot me a PM. Here it is (also included are two crafts since the stock ones will be resized all wonky)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8mq09bh64veanv1/VA7GTqggOf

You don't NEED them to work but yes, there are other mods which are supported.

AIES (Partial support for pods, full support for battery/RTG/solar panels; engines)

KW Rocketry (mostly american and european engines)

NovaPunch (partially, more support coming soon)

Bobcat Soviet engines pack (Soviet/Russian engines)

BT Engine Pack (Merlin 1D)

F-1 Engine replica (need to remove the space from the partName though)

KerbX (for SpaceX engines)

RLA Stockalike alternative models (Shuttle OMS)

And also LazTek's SpaceX is compatible when you use my (separate) Rescale config

Ok so there is no actual parts pack for RealEngines, it just uses the others. That was where my misunderstanding occured. Thanks!

Ok, Ive been having some trouble with real fuels engines configs as of 4.2.

KSP_2014_01_14_17_41_47_130.jpg?w=AAA0db7KjYGZbe45qIqobHFywiEKJ2S-lBKXtUJVNHa0Gw&_subject_uid=257035972

Most of the kw engines and all the stock engines produce an empty box as shown. I've been trying out RO with JB's real engine configs so initially assumed it was that but even without these and just the regular RF 4.2 (with MFSEngines.cfg) I'm getting it. The engine detail's when hovering over show the alternate configs even though they're unchangeable:

KSP_2014_01_14_17_41_37_122.jpg?w=AAAClkJhrfgPKKPhJLZO5nAtIPDcv5R41Gn-yrorssPCkg&_subject_uid=257035972

Here's my mod folder:

Desktop_2014_01_14_18_41_32_896.jpg?w=AABG4EbaO_Srh1117TgBQ4Qr1jtUtPi7qLrwx8jv8fQQFQ&_subject_uid=257035972

Has anyone else experienced staging failure when using the RD-180 from Bobcats Soviet Engines with RF 4.2?

I have not yet looked into the issue in depth, but the issue is repeatable with any rocket which uses this engine. Don't want to duplicate troubleshooting effort. ;-)

Edited by sirklick

Ok, Ive been having some trouble with real fuels engines configs as of 4.2.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/KSP/KSP_2014_01_14_17_41_47_130.jpg?w=AAA0db7KjYGZbe45qIqobHFywiEKJ2S-lBKXtUJVNHa0Gw&_subject_uid=257035972

Most of the kw engines and all the stock engines produce an empty box as shown. I've been trying out RO with JB's real engine configs so initially assumed it was that but even without these and just the regular RF 4.2 (with MFSEngines.cfg) I'm getting it. The engine detail's when hovering over show the alternate configs even though they're unchangeable:

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/KSP/KSP_2014_01_14_17_41_37_122.jpg?w=AAAClkJhrfgPKKPhJLZO5nAtIPDcv5R41Gn-yrorssPCkg&_subject_uid=257035972

Here's my mod folder:

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/KSP/Desktop_2014_01_14_18_41_32_896.jpg?w=AABG4EbaO_Srh1117TgBQ4Qr1jtUtPi7qLrwx8jv8fQQFQ&_subject_uid=257035972

I think you need to install the RftS engine configs from RO if you are not going to use the RealEngines configs.

Sorry meant to include that in the post. Just drop it in your RealismOverhaul folder and if you find any bugs, shoot me a PM. Here it is (also included are two crafts since the stock ones will be resized all wonky)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8mq09bh64veanv1/VA7GTqggOf

Thanks for this. I just looked at the SpaceX pack and it looks amazing.

dlrk: doh! I forgot to switch that stuff to Kerosene. Sorry. You'll just get 1g/cc JP-1 instead of 0.81g/cc, so like super-Syntin. It'll be fixed in next RF, and you can do it yourself for now (swap LF to Kerosene).

Elokaynu: I just verified on my 1280x800 laptop. Scrolling is fine. I'm still thinking at this point you may not be grabbing the scrollbar in the right place, because plenty of people have been using RF (and before it MFS) for months on small screens and scrolling fine.

When you load it up, you will see a "popout" / embossed button-like thing, in a long black trough. The embossed top part is the scroll bar. Put your pointer's tip right in the middle of *that*, and drag it downwards.

Scripto23: Would it be OK if I added that Laztek patch to next RO?

pingopete: your links don't work. You need to share those pictures and use the sharing link, not the private link.

sirklick: What do you mean by "staging failure"?

Would it be OK if I added that Laztek patch to next RO?

Yes please do :D. The only thing that needs fixing is the values for the three included engines are increased by increasing tech levels and I wanted them to be set at a single value (same as the ones currently manufactured by SpaceX are). So the values that are currently the ones at level 0 is what they should be at all times but at the moment they can be set to be super overpowered by increasing the tech level up to 7. I thought maxTechLevel = 0 would work, but I was wrong. IGNORE, was missing a bracket

Also, I wanted to add increased life support resources (from TACLS) to the dragon module, but if I did this in the config would it mess with people who aren't using TACLS?

Edited by Scripto23

sirklick: What do you mean by "staging failure"?

The space bar fails to fire the next stage (staging queue fails to progress), requiring manual (clicking around) activation of engines/decouplers/etc. Thinking it may be an interaction between this particular engine and PF now. I have only noticed it when using the engine as the 2nd stage. I can send a craft file this evening if you like (work now).

Scripto23: cool! Will do.

I'll look at it, maxTechLevel *should* work. I fixed a bug in v4 or v4.1 or something regarding that, too.

I use ECLSS, so yeah, TAC resource amounts would cause trouble for me. Then again, my using ECLSS in FASA configs causes trouble for others. The issue at heart is that if you're trying to match a given spacecraft's dry mass, you have to know exactly the mass of the life support mod's supplies.

sirklick: weird! Yeah, please do, I'll check it out.

Sweet!

Few questions if I might:

1. Have you removed all reaction wheels (unless SpaceX actually uses them, but if so they probably have like 0.001 torque max)

2. Is ElectricCharge used as kJ, with EC rates in kW? (for example, a 3kWh battery, aka 10,800kJ battery, would be stored as maxAmount = 10800 EC, and a system that used 485W would have rate 0.485 EC)

3. If SpaceX uses biprop RCS, you can add two ModuleRCS (hattip: stupid_chris) one set for each fuel, to replicate biprop RCS. If they use monoprop RCS, never mind. (Use correct Isp for both modules; use thrusterPower * volumePercent for each, where volumePercent = percent of total mixture by volume for that propellant). See my latest FASA.cfg for examples.

4. Do the part masses for F9 and F9H match what's been released? Do all parts of Dragon sum to the latest released dry mass for Dragon? (I ask because I notice for a lot of parts you're not touching mass, only rescaleFactor...)

I'm really sorry if this has been asked before...I've searched, and haven't found anything. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

The problem is that while the engines want to be configured to use Kerosene and Alcohol, those two resources don't appear when I try to configure the fuel tanks. Instead I see LiquidFuel, which (if I read these threads correctly) shouldn't be there at all.

I've got a perfectly clean install of KSP. I've set it up with Real Solar System (v5.5), Realism Overhaul (v3), RealFuels (v4.2), StretchySRB (v8.1), Engine Ignitor (v3.1), and, heck, lots of others (trying to maximize realism, here). I've installed the RftSEngines.cfg in RealismOverhaul. I've deleted SFJBRealEngines.

I can provide an exhaustive list of the mods I've installed, but I wanted to see if anyone could see something obvious I've done wrong. Thanks!

@NathanKell, you nailed it. There was! It looks like I installed the RPL Mini Realism Pack 18b (solely in order to get the custom experiments plugin, because that's what the RPL tech tree instructions said to do) and I forgot to delete the ModularFuelTanks folder (I managed to get the others, though). Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

TomatoSoup, I had a similar problem, I think it came down to a dodgy/conflicting engine config file. Maybe try reinstalling from scratch RF4.2 and RO with ONE (most recent) engine configs i.e. RftS (this fixed mine), MFSEngines or JB's real engines.

TomatoSoup, I had a similar problem, I think it came down to a dodgy/conflicting engine config file. Maybe try reinstalling from scratch RF4.2 and RO with ONE (most recent) engine configs i.e. RftS (this fixed mine), MFSEngines or JB's real engines.

Pardon me, is RO Realism Overhaul? I don't use that, just RF4.2 and the MFSEngines.cfg (which is what I used with RF4.1 and worked fine, to the best of my knowledge). I tried the RftS engines but, of course, they're not stockalike and thus not quite compatible.

At any rate, with a fresh install it still doesn't work. And the only .cfg file touching those engines is Deadly Reentry, which was not a problem previously and only touches ModuleEngines to adjust the heat production.

Also, the LV909 seems to work fine.

Edited by TomatoSoup