Assembly Building Action Grouping

Hello,

I recently figured out how to use the action groups.

Really cool!

I'm working on building a replacement Space Station. Hopefully with fewer parts, so that I wont lag as much.

Anyhow, It will have 4 arms extending out for ships to dock at. Each arm has lights to shine on the docking ports of the other arms.

I want to make action groups for 1 2 3 and 4, to shine ONLY on arms 1 2 3 or 4, not all four at once.

However, whenever I select the light, it selects all 4 lights.

It seems that when in the action group menu, it selects the items similar to when in the building section. If a part was radially placed as multiple parts at once, it selects them all at once. Well, to make sure I get things balanced I placed the lights all at once, but I'd like to select the lights one at a time. It would be very time consuming to delete my lights, and place them one by one trying the line them up perfectly... :(

Is there a way around this?

Edited by insylem

You need to...

1) Save and backup your craft file.

2) Open your craft file with Notepad. (Win)

3) Find and delete the line with.. "sym" example:-

sym = spotLight2_4293696858
sym = spotLight2_4293696824
sym = spotLight2_4293696790

4) Close save. And Open up your craft file...

5) They are individually now.

I think you can also do this by placing the lights on your docking arms without using symmetry

Each light should then be individually selectable for the action groups

I figured. That was my backup plan. Im going to try Sirine's suggestion first. That plan would be way too tedious, and my OCD would kick in and I'd never be happy with the manual symetry.

It worked thanks!

Now I can turn on and off the docking lights for the #1 through #4 ports.

Thanks!

Not sure how to make this thread "Answered"

You need to...

1) Save and backup your craft file.

2) Open your craft file with Notepad. (Win)

3) Find and delete the line with.. "sym" example:-

sym = spotLight2_4293696858
sym = spotLight2_4293696824
sym = spotLight2_4293696790

4) Close save. And Open up your craft file...

5) They are individually now.

Hello,

I recently figured out how to use the action groups.

Really cool!

I'm working on building a replacement Space Station. Hopefully with fewer parts, so that I wont lag as much.

Anyhow, It will have 4 arms extending out for ships to dock at. Each arm has lights to shine on the docking ports of the other arms.

I want to make action groups for 1 2 3 and 4, to shine ONLY on arms 1 2 3 or 4, not all four at once.

However, whenever I select the light, it selects all 4 lights.

It seems that when in the action group menu, it selects the items similar to when in the building section. If a part was radially placed as multiple parts at once, it selects them all at once. Well, to make sure I get things balanced I placed the lights all at once, but I'd like to select the lights one at a time. It would be very time consuming to delete my lights, and place them one by one trying the line them up perfectly... :(

Is there a way around this?

there is a slightly easier way than editing code. Just place each arms light as a SINGLE light or if you put a light on all 4 sides <assuming the square truss section is used> to light the port up the same way, then, just click each light on the arm, add it to the appropriate action group.

Like, say you are building the first arm's lighting set up. you place the lights 1 by 1 on the truss, then go to action groups, and place each light into action group 1 with Toggle Light as your command. Then do this for the next arm and so on :) easier than editing code hehe even IF it is time consuming. I would say it is safer than editing code too.

there is a slightly easier way than editing code. Just place each arms light as a SINGLE light or if you put a light on all 4 sides <assuming the square truss section is used> to light the port up the same way, then, just click each light on the arm, add it to the appropriate action group.

Like, say you are building the first arm's lighting set up. you place the lights 1 by 1 on the truss, then go to action groups, and place each light into action group 1 with Toggle Light as your command. Then do this for the next arm and so on :) easier than editing code hehe even IF it is time consuming. I would say it is safer than editing code too.

Well I have experience somewhat with QBASIC when I was a teenager. So, I edited the code. That was WAY eayser (for me) then doing each light by itself. Besides. The docking port lights shine onto the port from the adjacent ports. Better illumination that way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.