[SSI] Proton III (Type-1A Shuttlecraft) Mun Capable Mini VTOL SSTO [Pic Heavy]

inigma

I was thinking, the Diplo-rov is cool. But what SSI needs is a theme-matching re-fueler and transport carrier... hehe

The SSI TR-X under development:

sUvH5MP.png

I promise you Cupcake, I've not seen this design before... but it bears an odd resemblance to your Scythe when I do think more about it. ;) I think the predictions of convergence are eerily coming true. Seriously, this was the most efficient design for a shuttlecraft refueler that I could come up with that actually worked on the first draft. Gears for docking, RCS to maneuver, a pair of rockets for picking up serious speed, and a hotkey to drop the shuttle wherever I wanted it, after I also refueled it. The angled fuel tanks actually give a generous clearance for final approach for top-ward docking, and side docking ports for chaining these babies together in a train. Nifty, eh?

I was thinking, the Diplo-rov is cool. But what SSI needs is a theme-matching re-fueler and transport carrier... hehe

The SSI TR-X under development:

I promise you Cupcake, I've not seen this design before... but it bears an odd resemblance to your Scythe when I do think more about it. ;) I think the predictions of convergence are eerily coming true. Seriously, this was the most efficient design for a shuttlecraft refueler that I could come up with that actually worked on the first draft. Gears for docking, RCS to maneuver, a pair of rockets for picking up serious speed, and a hotkey to drop the shuttle wherever I wanted it, after I also refueled it. The angled fuel tanks actually give a generous clearance for final approach for top-ward docking, and side docking ports for chaining these babies together in a train. Nifty, eh?

How about that, looks like we're both in the progress of modernising our tankers. :wink:

cEPDqBP.jpg

Can't say may efforts are looking quite as spectacular as yours, although I am quietly pleased I finally found a way to re-load drop tanks! :D

xucwMVF.jpg

That is a very impressive beast you've got there, when I first saw it I thought it was massive VTOL lifting platform to ferry your Proton from place to place! :cool:

Cupcake...

How about that, looks like we're both in the progress of modernising our tankers. :wink:

http://i.imgur.com/cEPDqBP.jpg

Can't say may efforts are looking quite as spectacular as yours, although I am quietly pleased I finally found a way to re-load drop tanks! :D

http://i.imgur.com/xucwMVF.jpg

That is a very impressive beast you've got there, when I first saw it I thought it was massive VTOL lifting platform to ferry your Proton from place to place! :cool:

Cupcake...

Great tanks!

Now a VTOL lifting platform... hmmm now there's an idea...

For now, more pics

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The Proton H is almost ready. It has completed its first certification trial to the Mun and back with 19 fuel left to spare. Disregard Engineer Redux. It's removed in the final version (and is certified without it) as we only use it to find the optimum launch profile during R&D.

EUTA7hs.png

xb9vfpO.png

• 2 weeks later...

i'd love to see a youtube video or imgur set that shows how you embed the rapier/TJE/nuke drives together. I've dissected your design and I get it, but when I try to do it myself, one of the three don't work, or the nuke gets a shroud that blows on takeoff, etc.

part clipping in general has been very hard for me to figure out when i'm trying to use design ideas that you and cupcake are able to.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for bumping what seems to be a dead thread, but I've been on a KSP break the last month or so and was wondering when/if the finalized Proton H and T variants were going to be released? The T variant was the one I was most interested in, but it looked like the Proton H was close to being certified before things went quiet...

The Proton H is still undergoing flight trials to record the optimal flight profile. Once done it will be released. I've just been a lil busy with a new baby in the house. :D Prob by the end of this month I'll release the Proton H and T series. In fact, the T series is already releasable... I might just put it out sometime this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
Your designs are beautifully brilliant; a display of pure out-of-the-box thinking. I'm learning much from your crafts.

Thank you! I've been taking a much needed break to focus on family activities. I'm working on releasing the Proton T just as soon as I can sit down at my home computer and hit a few buttons.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, i'[ve tried flying this ship, and i've not been able to get beyond 43k following the flight profile on the OP. Has .25 changed things enough to where there needs to be a new one? When I hit around 40k and turn off the rapier, I stop accelerating and stop climbing at that point. Only way I've been able to make orbit so far is to turn on inf fuel, and burn the closedsystem rapier engine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.