SpaceX 2014 Launches: Next launch SpaceX CRS 3 ISS resupply

Albert VDS

SpaceX has busy year ahead and to not miss out on any launches and testing I'll keep this thread updated any news.

Falcon 9 SpaceX launch schedule for 2014

Jan. 6 Falcon 9 • Thaicom 6 -

Feb. 22 Falcon 9 • SpaceX CRS 3

TBD Falcon 9 • Orbcomm OG2

April Falcon 9 • AsiaSat 8

June 6 Falcon 9 • SpaceX CRS 4

Sept. 12 Falcon 9 • SpaceX CRS 5

2014 Falcon Heavy • Demo Flight #1

2014 Falcon Heavy • Not yet announced payload

2014 Dragon Abort Test #1

2014 Dragon Abort Test #2

Dates and incomplete launch information will be updated as soon as more info is available.

Launches can be followed live at SpaceX' site: http://www.spacex.com/webcast/

Or if you have trouble streaming you can use the live stream at http://spaceflightnow.com/

Edited by Albert VDS

Were the "stretched fuel tanks" actually modified after having been manufactured at the original length, or are all the 1.1 tanks built that size from the beginning? If the first case, do we know when that will cease to be?

The v1.1 is simply longer than the v1.0 by design.

We will probably never see a v1.0 fly again; even the falcon heavy will use v1.1 cores. It's all tall rockets from now on.

I think the reason for the extra length (and therefor extra fuel) is because the Merlin 1D engines have more thrust than the Merlin 1C engines.

Edited by Psycix

I understand that. I'm asking about the manufacturing process. Are they retrofitting unlaunched v1.0 tanks for v1.1, or are all the v1.1 tanks manufactured fresh?

If I remember correctly, the 1.0 tanks were manufactured in sections and then friction stir-welded together. The first and second stage tanks used the same diameter sections (which is why the the F9 doesn't taper), just different numbers of them. Assuming that I have that right, making stretched tanks for v1.1 could be as simple as adding another section or two to the 1.0 tanks.

So the launch is set for today.

Time: 5:06 p.m. EST (2206 GMT)

Window: 122 minutes

Thanks! Hopefully there won't be too many holds and I'll get to see the launch before bed.

They were able to do that on the Cassiope launch because it was a very light satellite, way under the F9's payload capacity. Thaicom and the previous SES launch are to GTO, so don't leave as much fuel margin in the first stage to do those propulsive-descent tests. The next one of those tests may happen on the next ISS resupply launch, we'll see.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.