Why all of astronaut/cosmonaut are in mid 40

Pawelk198604

Historically astronauts were military test pilots, so could have been reasonably young (late 20s early 30s). Most came from a fast jet background.

These days they tend to be highly accomplished professionals chosen for a track record of achievement in their field and a strong academic record. Those who do come via the military aviation route are expected to be proven leaders with command experience. It takes a while to build up the kind of skill set you need. Being a hotshot fighter knuck isn't enough any more.

Historically astronauts were military test pilots, so could have been reasonably young (late 20s early 30s). Most came from a fast jet background.

These days they tend to be highly accomplished professionals chosen for a track record of achievement in their field and a strong academic record. Those who do come via the military aviation route are expected to be proven leaders with command experience. It takes a while to build up the kind of skill set you need. Being a hotshot fighter knuck isn't enough any more.

So you tell me that no more Jeb like astronaut badass it very sad :(

if they are older they probably already have children and wont need to worry about the affects of much larger doses of radiation on their genetic information, combined with the other mentioned reasons the only logical choice is middle aged men and women

There are also strong psychological requirements. Being middle aged means people are more mature, more likely to get along with other people in a confined space for a long time, and not lose their temper in a critical situation. Not saying that younger people can fullfill those, but you have to add up the professional experience, scientific knowledge, intense training... Very unlikely that a 20-something could do it, unless he's a pure genius that has both top mind and physical condition. Thus, unlikely.

...people seem to risk adverse these days.

More like the insurance companies are risk averse, people don't usually give two hoots and will jump on anything that is fun. Bungy jumping, base jumping, skydiving etc etc etc, it's not people, it's bureaucrats.

in other words, the bureaucratic minefield they have to go through these days to get the job takes 15-20 years longer than it did in the early days...

Which is not surprising as in any aging bureaucracy that happens for any position.

in other words, the bureaucratic minefield they have to go through these days to get the job takes 15-20 years longer than it did in the early days...

Which is not surprising as in any aging bureaucracy that happens for any position.

You seem to have some sort of tea-party/fox news obsession with bureaucracy and government-funded activities, but like most tea-party crackpots and fox news reporters, you never actually back your criticism with any concrete evidence or propose anything positive or even informative.

Let's be clear here: nobody here cares about your political one-liners. I really wonder why the admins here are still tolerating your constant trolling.

you've no idea kid, you're obviously way too young to ever have worked in such bureaucracies or you'd know that's exactly how they work.

But dink the free kool-aid, until it runs out because there's nobody left to pay for it that is.

Which is mostly likley why nothing seems to be getting done anymore.

The assumption here being that nothing is getting done.

A quick look back through the last year alone should tell you that that just isn't correct. There's plenty of things happening in space. Sure they're not as visually impressive as the early years of space exploration but that's because they were pioneering the basics. Learning the hard way how to build a rocket is inherently more flashy than figuring out how x behaves in a micro gravity environment, but that doesn't in any way mean it's not happening or that it's not important.

you've no idea kid, you're obviously way too young to ever have worked in such bureaucracies or you'd know that's exactly how they work.

But dink the free kool-aid, until it runs out because there's nobody left to pay for it that is.

Wow! I got an actual response out of you. Your usual MO is to dump some inflammatory one-liner and when you get contradicted, you run off to do the same thing in another thread. I must have pressed the right buttons here.

So you have anecdotal evidence. That's cool, but I'm afraid it doesn't equate to actual statistical evidence.

First, don't call me kid. You have no idea who I am. I've worked in private companies for the last 25 years, and I've met my share of slackers and pork there too. I've also been close to some civil servants who were among the most dedicated and professional that I've ever met. There are thousands of government employees who respond 24/7 to emergencies or don't count their time because they know that their service is essential. I happen to live in a country where public service still means something to them. My anecdotal evidence is just as valuable as yours.

It also happens that over the last 60 years of space exploration, 100% of it has been funded by governments and 0% by private enterprise. You can criticize bureaucracy and administration, but the truth is that if you want to see something done in space other than comsats, then taxpayer money is the only show in town. So until you can tell us what your magical vision for a space program is, I suggest that you refrain from criticism without preparing some material to back it up.