Rapiers are overpowered IMO

the rapier has to be a lot heavier than the current setting.

being able to use 2intakes and 1X 4.5t fuel tank to get into 100X100km orbit is pretty OP

(p.s. the B9 sabre is about twice as heavy and has a little bit less thrust)

However, that is some serious air hogging. 17 intakes for 1 engine! Phew! Without that exploit though, I think the RAPIERs are decently balanced.

Really, it's "only" the equivalent of 9 ram air intakes, since the radial intakes have a bit less surface area.

Anyway, with that many intakes a turbojet + 2 48-7Ss could do the same thing for less weight

Half the RAPIER posts say it's OP being able to replace jet and rocket engines with a single engine.

Half the RAPIER posts say it's worthless because of insert reason here, weight is a common one and you may as well just use separate jet and rocket engines.

Sounds to me like SQUAD got the balance just about right.

^^Pretty sad when the gauge for balance is seeing that your complaints are evenly distributed on each side XD.

Actually, from game design standpoint, that's the best kind of balance possible. Nothing to be sad really.

If there is no balance complaints that means you made something that isn't standing out in any way. And that mean it's bland and almost the same as the every other thing, boring.

Probably all of the most prized games (especially multiplayer ones) out there are balanced on the notion of "fight OP with OP". That is, when something *feels* OP but doesn't affect the overall balance because there are other "OP" things out there to counteract it, It makes the game feel great to play and balanced at the same time.

That's why i really like what SQUAD has done with RAPIER (although overall it's not perfect yet).

Just do the math:

-Lighest command pod in the game? Check.

-Second smallest Not-Jumbo 64 tank? Check.

-Lots of air engines, making it able to fly higher altitudes before running out of air and switching to rocket mode? Check.

If the RAPIER engine is op with this kinda of build, so it's the Ramjet Engine, since you can cleverly build a plane that goes above 2 Km/s by making it lighter and taking advantage of the high TWR you have with it.

If you want OP, use SasquatchM's Pulse Detonation Engine. Two of these can make a normal sized plane go over 4 Km/s.

I'm pretty sure their real life counterpart will not work.

Care to explain why you think so? The only hard part of SABRE-s engineering wise is the precooler. And i've heard they have some working samples already.

This of course does not mean it will ever lift something meaningful into space, as the whole Skylon idea will probably end up being too costly to develop. But i believe that the RAPIERs RL counterpart will at least work in testing, and maybe be used in the next generation of supersonic air transportation.

Thank you guys, for changing my opinion :)

Takes a great man and all that :D The only really new thing is RAPIER is noob-proof, with the auto-switch saving you from the good old assymetric flameouts of death.

Rune. You also save me a rant.

Everyone is unhappy in a perfect compromise. I've noticed quite a few ppl going back to using turbojets and rockets for their SSTOs instead of sabres.

I think that the balance is pretty good. :)

I'm pretty sure their real life counterpart will not work.

?? Don't you trust British engineering? ;)

Edited by Comrade Jenkens

Care to explain why you think so? The only hard part of SABRE-s engineering wise is the precooler. And i've heard they have some working samples already.

This of course does not mean it will ever lift something meaningful into space, as the whole Skylon idea will probably end up being too costly to develop. But i believe that the RAPIERs RL counterpart will at least work in testing, and maybe be used in the next generation of supersonic air transportation.

Ah, you said it instead. I guess it's good to be skeptical.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.