[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

Ok. I have an (old?) version of MSI installed. When wete free hinges introduced?
The "jointspring" value in the parts .cfg has always worked, between 5 and 50 depending how stiff/rover size. The free hinges are only in this pack at the moment which need version 1.4 or the latest 1.5 of Infernal Robotics I think, there's only free rotators (docking washers) in the IR packs.

Just upgraded to the new V1.5 or damned robotics and these parts are no longer visible in the VAB?
I think it'll need to be updated, it looks like there's some changes to part type and a new module in IR 1.5.

Alright, so can someone explain to me why the structural pieces exist? I mean...what purpose do they serve, functionally, that beams and trusses in the stock game do not?
Yeah. I saw another post of those and I can see the utility. It's just the pure structural parts that have me a little miffed as to their existence. I mean...if the point is just to have cool looking parts...I guess that's fair enough.

Why not have structural parts? I mean seriously, the current stock selection of girders are not up to the job of creating cool robotic contraptions. If you're not interested in them then don't download them, although you will have a deminished experience since the structural parts are designed to fit perfectly with the new robotic parts. Also, "miffed"? Why would the work I'm doing in my spare time that you have no obligation to use make you miffed?

Does any of this stuff include any unpowered, free moving hinges? I am interested in coming up building a rocker-bogie suspension system for a rover.

Yes :D. Two versions allowing you to create a gimbal for exactly that sort of application!

Just upgraded to the new V1.5 or damned robotics and these parts are no longer visible in the VAB?

Yea, different time-zones between myself and sirkut meant that I couldn't release my update at the same time like I wanted to.

--------------------------------------------------

Robotic Parts Updated!!

Main changes are making them IR 0.15 compatable, removing the redundant part, and renaming them to match their code-names better. I have plans to replace the missing part with something especially cool, but that will take a few more days to complete.

Please be sure to delete your _Rework_Robotic_ folder to remove the now missing part. If you don't the part won't appear in the VAB anyway, unless you choose to manually update the CFG (I'd discourage this since I won't be maintaining that part from now on)

Hey it's not like I was saying they were bad or shouldn't exist. What you do on your own time is your business. I was just in the dark about the motivation for creating them, and you answered my question. Better pieces that are tailor made to fit with your robotic parts. Seems reasonable. With the 4 GB limit a constant niggling issue on non-Linux platforms, I don't think it's wrong to ask what the intended use is for new parts. O.o

And I used miffed incorrectly. I've actually used it for a long time to mean bewilderment, and have heard and seen it used as such a lot. Though that meaning isn't in the Oxford Dictionary definition and thus invalid. My bad. (Though it would be accurate to say I was annoyed that the rationale for the parts wasn't immediately apparent to me.)

Edited by phoenix_ca

In that case that's fair enough :). All the structural parts share the same texture so hopefully they're efficient on memory.

FYI, here's what the robotics parts look like with the structural parts (an old image):

_a23671a491234d3b9816587e853e361a

--------------------------------------------------

Also, a teaser of the current part I'm working on:

_c40c304d8378425bb95679193c0e04a9

This was requested a long time ago, and recently I was reminded that such a joint was used to lift the mast on the Spirit and Opportunity rovers.

See now that's just cool. Those sorts of uses weren't immediately apparent to me when I look at the screen shot. Seeing them together it makes much more sense. ^.^

Thanks. I'll make a note to do a fresh image when I release the next update, to avoid similar confusion by others. I could even do a video, but I'm not sure about that.

So came here to say thanks for this new alternative set of IR parts building upon the original. I love the look of the new parts and could see them really meshing with my designs a bit better, though the look of the standard IR has never deterred me from using it either. I REALLY want to vouch for the idea of having structural parts to accompany them though, I never even realised how much of a difference this could actually make. I was recently making various designs with the standard IR when I noticed the limitation imposed by the stock structural parts. Due to only having two choices of widths for girders and one for beams I was often facing a choice between structural weakness or a complete overhaul to make it fit into the payload. Looking at this I can already visualize just how much easier it will be to find the structural part you're looking for!

Now itching to test it but need to unlock it in the tech tree first :(

P.S. Noob question but I can't seem to access the tweakable sizes? Is there some sort of button I'm supposed to be using or something?

Edit: found the tweakables, just didn't realise it only applies to the parts under utilities. One question, is there any plans to add any node blocks in the future?

Edited by Kerbonautical

Is there any plans to make the structural pieces use the Goodspeed scale tweaker? It seems a bit odd to me to have one set (the robotics) make excellent use of it, but the other set (the structural) ignore it in favour of part bloat :/ I mean, if the tweakscale doesn't work well on the structural elements, fair enough, but yeah.. just wondering if it's in the works or not.

By the way, I've just finished deploying my LKO Satellite and Comms system using parts from this pack and I must say, I'm spoiled for choice on all fronts! Managed to fit four probes radially that fit under a 2m fairing - the only reason I had to use an expanded one was because the payload was so long (overbuilt the deployer, ended up with about 3km/s dV at the end of it....)

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

Edit: found the tweakables, just didn't realise it only applies to the parts under utilities. One question, is there any plans to add any node blocks in the future?

If I understand your meaning, then yes, at some point I do plan to add cube blocks (and other variations) to the selection of structural parts. This is low on my priority list though.

Is there any plans to make the structural pieces use the Goodspeed scale tweaker? It seems a bit odd to me to have one set (the robotics) make excellent use of it, but the other set (the structural) ignore it in favour of part bloat :/ I mean, if the tweakscale doesn't work well on the structural elements, fair enough, but yeah.. just wondering if it's in the works or not.

Honestly, no. Using TweakScale on the structural parts goes against my design direction for this mod. Yes it would reduce part bloat, but also reduce the amount of visual variety in the arms and other contraptions that are made (i wanted to represent the range of stylings seen in much of NASA's reference material). I use TweakScale on the robotics parts because I intentionally designed them to be identical at the three different sizes. I feel it's important for the joint types to be easily identifiable from an image etc regardless of size. This isn't a consideration for structural parts.

Question for you: Do you plan on making hubs for each of the structural parts?

EDIT: I ask because the open truss hubs from Tal's Spherical Tanks pack break the look for me. Unfortunately, while they are the same size, there's no connection for the "resource" electrical lines in the centers.

3tHow6l.png

RGwEgrk.png

XB4ukW5.png

EuBXgIG.png

7qislTG.png

Edited by sharpspoonful

EDIT: I ask because the open truss hubs from Tal's Spherical Tanks pack break the look for me. Unfortunately, while they are the same size, there's no connection for the "resource" lines in the centers.

I was wondering this too :) The sizes play well together, but are very different styles (and yours looks way nicer)

EDIT: I ask because the open truss hubs from Tal's Spherical Tanks pack break the look for me. Unfortunately, while they are the same size, there's no connection for the "resource" lines in the centers.

I have considered making hubs for the RoboTruss versions of the structural parts (not for the tubes). This is low on my priority list though, since my main focus is on making parts that enhance the robotics experience and I'm not sure how useful hubs would be for that. What types of hubs would you be suggesting, and what dimensions?

Oh, and that central line (on a visual level anyway) is intended just for electricity :P

I was wondering this too :) The sizes play well together, but are very different styles (and yours looks way nicer)

I really love your truss parts, Talisar. They are aesthetically pleasing, and the various hubs, adapters, and trusses are perfectly sized for my applications. You don't know how handy a .25m part is.

I have considered making hubs for the RoboTruss versions of the structural parts (not for the tubes). This is low on my priority list though, since my main focus is on making parts that enhance the robotics experience and I'm not sure how useful hubs would be for that. What types of hubs would you be suggesting, and what dimensions?

Oh, and that central line (on a visual level anyway) is intended just for electricity :P

I hope you do. That central trussing took a few hours of fiddling to get to match up perfectly. If you get the chance to I would highly suggest it. I would honestly just ask that they fit the pro and small trusses, and allow me to truss each module like I am in the photos (totally not an altruistic request at all :P)

Edited by sharpspoonful

Cough, cough... im just gonna put this right here... Cough... Structure scale ModuleManager CFG cough...

@PART[iR_Adapter*]

{

MODULE

{

name = GoodspeedTweakScale

defaultScale = 1

minScale = 1

maxScale = 4

}

}

@PART[iR_Segment*]

{

MODULE

{

name = GoodspeedTweakScale

defaultScale = 1

minScale = 1

maxScale = 4

}

}

Edited by StEligius

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.