[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

Nice nice, I like it.

Feels more fitting than the quad legs/grabbers you showed.

I probably didn't make this clear, but the quad leg thing is another part I'm working on in addition to what I've just shown.

So far I have a rough design for one, but am too tired at the moment to actually know whether I like it or not :P. I tried to take a bit of inspiration from the spacex landing legs, but adapted to the rework style and have it fit between Foldatrons in much the same was as the planned wheels will.

_638837e3a6ad4e439c61118578198034

I welcome people's thoughts on this :), and suggestions on how to improve to and make it less sci-fi.

I probably didn't make this clear, but the quad leg thing is another part I'm working on in addition to what I've just shown.

So far I have a rough design for one, but am too tired at the moment to actually know whether I like it or not :P. I tried to take a bit of inspiration from the spacex landing legs, but adapted to the rework style and have it fit between Foldatrons in much the same was as the planned wheels will.

https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pl/IR_LandingFoot.png/_638837e3a6ad4e439c61118578198034

I welcome people's thoughts on this :), and suggestions on how to improve to and make it less sci-fi.

When you described this as a "quad leg" I thought to myself that nobody can use those things as legs given the narrow radius, but then based on how you describe it being in a foldatron (like the wheels), it sounds like this part wouldn't be as much a "leg" as it would be a "foot" (with quad toes). From that angle, I like it. Along with foldatrons it would let you build some very customizable landing legs. Just be sure to give them slightly better crash-tolerance versus most parts.

Hmm the grabbing hook is quite my taste and I think it fits well with the other remodel parts.

But the quad leg, hmm well, Do you remember the landinglegs of the USS Voyager from Star Trek? I always imagined that they were far too small and short for their purpose as the ship was sooooo heavy.

The quadlegs somehow remind me of that, maybe if they get like a second pair to toes on the end of the first, so it becomes more of a grabber?

Only my 2 cents.

Hmm the grabbing hook is quite my taste and I think it fits well with the other remodel parts.

But the quad leg, hmm well, Do you remember the landinglegs of the USS Voyager from Star Trek? I always imagined that they were far too small and short for their purpose as the ship was sooooo heavy.

The quadlegs somehow remind me of that, maybe if they get like a second pair to toes on the end of the first, so it becomes more of a grabber?

Only my 2 cents.

I agree with your concerns regarding the quad leg/foot. I think I need to accept the fact it will be slightly sci-fi (since there's virtually no real-world reference material), and maybe your suggestion will work well, making it into four feet with 2 toes, rather than just four toes. I've got a sketch I'll try and mock-up this evening.

I like the leg. Are those two parts everything you've got planned for ATHLETE?

This is not specifically for ATHLETE, but they are intended to expand the possibilities with that size of part. Other than the wheels and the surface sampler, yes these parts would be all the utilities I have planned. After that the last item for this phase of the project would be the gantries.

I agree with your concerns regarding the quad leg/foot. I think I need to accept the fact it will be slightly sci-fi (since there's virtually no real-world reference material), and maybe your suggestion will work well, making it into four feet with 2 toes, rather than just four toes. I've got a sketch I'll try and mock-up this evening.

Don't give up it is still all a nice work.

I'm excited to see what is comming next :)

This is not specifically for ATHLETE, but they are intended to expand the possibilities with that size of part. Other than the wheels and the surface sampler, yes these parts would be all the utilities I have planned. After that the last item for this phase of the project would be the gantries.

Not plane robotics? :) I'd love to at least see that white VTOL hinge released... I did modify the pivotrons to fit into 1.25m, but I'd love to see a dedicated part. Still, I suppose it'd be nice to see gantries done.

Thumbs up :D

I like the 4-toe feet, or whatever you'd call them. I'm trying to design some foldable landing legs using the stock ones plus foldatrons and it's not going too well.

Not plane robotics? :) I'd love to at least see that white VTOL hinge released... I did modify the pivotrons to fit into 1.25m, but I'd love to see a dedicated part. Still, I suppose it'd be nice to see gantries done.

I will repeat what I said before, I would like parts to be as non specific as can be. KSP is an amazing builder game and should be about solving problems with tools, rather than getting solutions supplied. The mod community can and should provide missing tools, but leave the solutions to the player.

Then again, that is just my highly irrelevant opinion.

Don't give up it is still all a nice work.

I'm excited to see what is comming next :)

Extra toes is definitely an improvement!

_580cff45bfd649c0bd75c9f657000d25

Kinda reminds me of this

I need to improve the design of the central section somewhat, as there's some rather bad clipping with the athlete parts that I didn't anticipate. Overall though, the separate toes, and the way they fold, makes this version of the Landing Foot much better than the previous one :D

--------------------------------------------------

Plane parts are a whole new section of this mod that I need to spend a lot of time on to develop the new style they'll use. It took me I don't know now many months to get the current rework style.

As for the VTOL hinges, I am not inclined to release them in their current state. They're no where near my usual standard and don't look as good as they could do, knowing what I know now. To get close to it you're best bet would be to scale the Uncontrolled and Narrow Angle Pivotrons, as they have fairly similar designs to the VTOL parts I concepted.

Extra toes is definitely an improvement!

https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pl/IR_LandingFootRevised1.png/_580cff45bfd649c0bd75c9f657000d25

Kinda reminds me of this

I need to improve the design of the central section somewhat, as there's some rather bad clipping with the athlete parts that I didn't anticipate. Overall though, the separate toes, and the way they fold, makes this version of the Landing Foot much better than the previous one :D

Nice, yeah really an improvement, I like it.

The similarity to the Prometheus, was not my intention but still that is ok, as that does not look tooo futuristic.

Are the parts currently made to share all one single texture, or will they, once it is the time, have several?

I wonder, would that be possible to make something like an animated, deployable gantry? I've been interested in using this technology for a Mobile Base System, for the ISS, but I realized that not only it spans 3 truss pieces, it's been delivered before the last two. I'm not quite sure how to solve this problem, really. I know IR is somewhat limited in this kind of functionality.

Hmmm. How easy/hard would it be to make decouplers the size of the structural parts? And a shorter length Tube Lite? I find I'm constantly crippled by the largeness of even the smallest parts for designing elegant little unfolding contraptions.

Oh wow, that newer foot is much nicer. Good work.

Do you think they'll have better-than-usual impact-tolerance? I'd be worried about breaking them, especially since (assumably) they wouldn't be repairable in-situ like stock landing gear and wheels.

I personally don't mind the simplistic textures. They look clean but more importantly, they save RAM.

At the moment they have no texture, it is just pure color for modling reason.

The Question is more about how he plans to make them in relation to memory saving.

At the moment they have no texture, it is just pure color for modling reason.

The Question is more about how he plans to make them in relation to memory saving.

I'll refer you to this post I made on the matter a few days ago: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/65365-WIP-MSI-s-Infernal-Robotics-Model-Rework-(Updated-27-08)-now-with-FOLDATRONS!!?p=1398161&viewfull=1#post1398161

I need to improve the design of the central section somewhat, as there's some rather bad clipping with the athlete parts that I didn't anticipate.

This is proving more complex than I anticipated. I've had to invert the folding direction of the feet and am now resorting to 3D CAD to work out how to fit the rest into the dimension constraints I imposed on myself with the foldatron design :(.

Hopefully I'll have time to finish the design tomorrow before I head away to IROS 2014 for a week to meet with fellow Roboticists and present My Research/Robot :cool:

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

Just a quick update for anyone who used my patch. Don't use it anymore!

Sporkmonger found out the hard way that it breaks IR with the fully updated version ZodiusInfuser posted. :( You can read all about the symptoms in the main IR thread, and thank Sporkmonger for tracking it down.

The fix: remove all copies of InfernalRoboticsRework_0_24_Fix.cfg from your KSP/GameData/ folder and all subfolders. If you installed it from the zip, there will be a copy in KSP/GameData/Nonspecific Products/. I think I now understand how to future-proof this type of patch if I ever need to make one again.

@ZodiusInfuser

I like the updated look for the claw foot. It seems like the hinges are more structurally sound than the first version.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.