Great Grey Aerospace Parts

GDMick17

if this mod is as good as I hope then it will definitely become one of my top 3 most used mods!take your time and make something that you like and enjoy!the idea of the first post is great.By doing this you'll allow everyone to make costum modules and capsules to fit our needs.When you can ,throw us some more progress pics.Till now it looks really good.i like your color scheme too!i've been waiting for something like these parts for a long time.

can you please tell me whats the concept behind the "solar halo"? will solar panels come out from that part and unfold all round?will they be able to track the sun?it looks really interesting.

Also one request: how about heat shields for 2.5 and 1.25?they don't really have to work with deadly reentry.just to make any capsule that might be able to be created with these parts better looking and also a decapler that will hide those heat shields?...just throwing that out there.

Edited by techstepman

Hey guys, just to answer the couple of questions techstepman put up as they are good questions to answer.

The solar halo, unfolds into a ring of photovoltaic panels at the top, Im not sure that they will track the sun, but it will be there to serve as a temporary power solution for modules that require power until a proper power generation module can be docked.

Heat Shields are something I've been looking at seeing as they are quite simple. To be honest my original list of designed parts included around 60 parts, and there is a lot of stuff there that I'd like to include, for now I think the first release will be the parts in the Original Post plus a couple of 'radial thingies' and hopefully if all goes well my big book of designs can be opened up again.

Hey guys, just to answer the couple of questions techstepman put up as they are good questions to answer.

The solar halo, unfolds into a ring of photovoltaic panels at the top, Im not sure that they will track the sun, but it will be there to serve as a temporary power solution for modules that require power until a proper power generation module can be docked.

Heat Shields are something I've been looking at seeing as they are quite simple. To be honest my original list of designed parts included around 60 parts, and there is a lot of stuff there that I'd like to include, for now I think the first release will be the parts in the Original Post plus a couple of 'radial thingies' and hopefully if all goes well my big book of designs can be opened up again.

Do you already got something to show for teasing? I would like to see some parts beforehand so I can look forward to them even more

hmmm the solar halo sounds interesting,cant wait to see pics of it.its ok with the heat shields.its just that the aren't many of them around.

that's some solid thinking.release the basics and then see how it goes.Waiting with anticipation to see how this pack will come out to be!

hmmm I was looking at the parts and think that the only thing missing is an adapter with a little bit more length.probably a 1.25 to 2.5.

Edited by techstepman

hmmm the solar halo sounds interesting,cant wait to see pics of it.its ok with the heat shields.its just that the aren't many of them around.

that's some solid thinking.release the basics and then see how it goes.Waiting with anticipation to see how this pack will come out to be!

hmmm I was looking at the parts and think that the only thing missing is an adapter with a little bit more length.probably a 1.25 to 2.5.

I agree on the adapters, I'm thinking of including an array of those, then seeing which ones are used most, work best. They are easy to make so I probably will.

+Little Update

as of today I've pretty much finished all my modelling (most of the configs too), with the exception of the animated parts, texturing is what is holding me back, i'm up to speed with Normal maps now, so should be some nice grooves and things to give the parts a bit more soul, Now I'm really getting into the nitty gritty of getting my textures to look as good as B9/interstellar, a few guys around the forums have given me some good advice, but it is very much trial and error until I am happy that the textures are perfect. Should be some pictures up soooon guys (sorry you haven't seen anything yet, its kind of a designer complex)

but because the tree-tops just aren't high enough I shall endeavour, once I can get that one perfect texture down in photoshop then it will only take me a week or two to get the whole thing together and from there I will probably open it up to a small test, work out the kinks, take on any advice on any glaring oversights and stuff, and then it will be thrown into the big wide world for even more bugs to be found :D

Another update soon, pics next time, I promise ;)

In the meantime here is the great grey aerospace mascot, Gandalf the Owl.

Screen_Shot_2014_01_30_at_07_51_47.png

Hey GDMick17, do you plan on doing any 3.75 parts?

I too am curious about this :) One thing that bothers me is how my crew transports are almost just as wide (if not as wide) as some of the thickest sections of my stations. 3.75m parts would really allow for that more complex look and some additional depth to the stations :)

Hey GDMick17, do you plan on doing any 3.75 parts?
I too am curious about this :) One thing that bothers me is how my crew transports are almost just as wide (if not as wide) as some of the thickest sections of my stations. 3.75m parts would really allow for that more complex look and some additional depth to the stations :)

It's something that is definitely in the mix, another thing that I could add fairly easily once I've got the first set out. I think it's probably likely some point in development.

It's something that is definitely in the mix, another thing that I could add fairly easily once I've got the first set out. I think it's probably likely some point in development.

Cool can't wait for initial release and QA testing! :D

Wooooah the textures look like something out of a Sci-fi film :D

Which textures? As far as I know there aren't any pictures of textures or models yet.. :huh:

And if I understand the post right, that I quoted below, than he currently isn't even finished with the textures...

I agree on the adapters, I'm thinking of including an array of those, then seeing which ones are used most, work best. They are easy to make so I probably will.

+Little Update

as of today I've pretty much finished all my modelling (most of the configs too), with the exception of the animated parts, texturing is what is holding me back, i'm up to speed with Normal maps now, so should be some nice grooves and things to give the parts a bit more soul, Now I'm really getting into the nitty gritty of getting my textures to look as good as B9/interstellar, a few guys around the forums have given me some good advice, but it is very much trial and error until I am happy that the textures are perfect. Should be some pictures up soooon guys (sorry you haven't seen anything yet, its kind of a designer complex)

but because the tree-tops just aren't high enough I shall endeavour, once I can get that one perfect texture down in photoshop then it will only take me a week or two to get the whole thing together and from there I will probably open it up to a small test, work out the kinks, take on any advice on any glaring oversights and stuff, and then it will be thrown into the big wide world for even more bugs to be found :D

Another update soon, pics next time, I promise ;)

In the meantime here is the great grey aerospace mascot, Gandalf the Owl.

http://s27.postimg.org/l63ycqpzn/Screen_Shot_2014_01_30_at_07_51_47.png

Which textures? As far as I know there aren't any pictures of textures or models yet.. :huh:

And if I understand the post right, that I quoted below, than he currently isn't even finished with the textures...

I think he's just talking about the concept image in the initial post :)

If they're anything like those on the front page, then they look like they will be all sci-fi :)

Yeah you are right :P

Wow... Can't wait to try these parts =)

A competitor to the FusTek station parts.

And I read it before, You are planning some more parts.

Can I suggest some struts or something, like the Trihexagonal, just to match with the modules in design? =)

• 1 month later...

Hi Ya'll. Apologies for the ridiculously long time since my last update...University started strangling my life for a while and to be honest still is, so there has been no chance to get anything done on the mod...sad times.

However this does not mean that I haven't been really wanting to get back into it, and with my course ending for the summer in mid April, I will have a good 4-Months of no uni to get back tore into Modding.

I'd like to thank everyone for understanding the situation and thanks for your messages wishing me good luck.

Now to more pressing matters. Texturing. Texturing is the bane of my existence. it is frustrating me that I haven't been able to attain the level of finish on the textures that I want.

I am continuing to teach myself how to texture, but its a slow process...so I am officially looking for someone to come aboard who can help me with this mod.

I think a duo working on it will really get the pace up. So I'm looking for someone who is comfortable with modelling, so I can spend all my time on texturing.

So if you can and are willing to help me out that would be great please message me.

This project is very much alive and the goal of modular station modules remains...because well, the treetops just aren't high enough.

Regards to you all

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.