How to make an animated part (Blender -> Unity)

I'm still a bit hazy on all of this. But my method is to import the blender file into unity, then in the inspector window go to the second tab, "rig", and change the animation type to legacy. This always carries over my animation to unity (the animation preview in the lower right confirms this). Sometimes I still get problems with rotation/location data not being applied correctly in blender, or coming out wrong for some other reason. These problems have always been fixable by exporting the model from blender to an .fbx file, then importing that into unity.

All of my animations have just been locrotscale data with keyframes on the timeline, but this has always worked for.

I'm still a bit hazy on all of this. But my method is to import the blender file into unity, then in the inspector window go to the second tab, "rig", and change the animation type to legacy. This always carries over my animation to unity (the animation preview in the lower right confirms this). Sometimes I still get problems with rotation/location data not being applied correctly in blender, or coming out wrong for some other reason. These problems have always been fixable by exporting the model from blender to an .fbx file, then importing that into unity.

All of my animations have just been locrotscale data with keyframes on the timeline, but this has always worked for.

What settings do you use for the .fbx export? I can't get mine to show up in unity.

I never actually changed any of the .fbx export options, so I assume that I'm using the defaults. Just make sure that include animation is checked in both the export options and the Unity import options.

Are you creating your animations using the dope sheet action editor? If so you're actions might not be tied to any objects and are just getting ignored by unity. Make sure you click the 'F' next to the action name to prevent the data from being ignored if you use the dope sheet.

You shouldn't be using the .fbx exporter in blender as unity accepts .blend files natively (iirc it does the .fbx conversion itself under the hood). Doing this means that everything but boneconstaints work, even the previously mentioned modifiers.

You shouldn't be using the .fbx exporter in blender as unity accepts .blend files natively (iirc it does the .fbx conversion itself under the hood). Doing this means that everything but boneconstaints work, even the previously mentioned modifiers.

Ok now how do you make the part animate in KSP?

Ok now how do you make the part animate in KSP?

search the forums, there's stuff you need to add to your config to make animations work in game. alternatively, you could just look at the config of an already existed animated part, and just make sure to replace the value with your own animations name and alter any options that might be more suitable for your animation type.

search the forums, there's stuff you need to add to your config to make animations work in game. alternatively, you could just look at the config of an already existed animated part, and just make sure to replace the value with your own animations name and alter any options that might be more suitable for your animation type.

I know how to do the config. My issue is getting unity to export any kind of animations. Every animated part I have seen has a .mbm file with it.

.mbm files are Squad's texture file format, they don't have anything to do with animations.

As long as the animation options are toggled in Unity ('Import Animation' in the import inspector, and 'Animation' under the main object's inspector window) and the animation name matches the .cfg file there shouldn't be a problem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.