[0.23.5] Kerbal Space Industries [26APR14] [MFD 1.2]

Hyomoto

Haven't had a chance to look at this mod too much yet, but it looks amazing. Is there a way to bind keys to each of the MFDs buttons? I have a set of Cougar MFDs that would be awesome to be able to use for this!

There isn't, awesome as it would be. It is not impossible, but isn't really practical to implement for the following reasons:

1. RPM is at the mercy of Unity's input routines, the number of input keys is limited, and most are already occupied. Making RPM listen to joystick buttons would be no problem, the problem would be making sure you can configure them, because the game's native GUI will certainly not support this in any way. I suck at GUIs, or I wouldn't make what is internally essentially an 80s-era terminal on acid. :)
  2. Due to the way KSP's internals work, IVAs get destroyed and recreated multiple times per flight -- basically every time you switch vessels, which includes going EVA, the entire process of RPM loading pages into memory and sorting out it's complicated internals has to start anew. (which is why on 32 bit, out of memory crashes are most likely at that moment with RPM -- the old copy has yet to be picked up by garbage collector, the new copy tries to bite out a chunk to live in) Key assignments would need to be kept somewhere, they would need to be configured per pod, (Most pods include more than one copy of the exact same RPM prop!) or possibly, per flight. These settings would need to be stored somewhere. This is nontrivial, as in KSP, modules that run internal props do not have equal rights with modules that live in parts. -- for example, they don't get to save their data into persistence files. I had to jump a lot of hoops to circumvent that, and I don't at all like the way I ended up doing it.
  3. The only reasonable way to do that while keeping all the advanced button tricks, like multiple screens sharing buttons, is to stick the listen-for-the-key function into the button handler class. Which is not too hard either, but would require jumping a lot more hoops to a) record the data about your key assignments somewhere that doesn't stand a chance of getting wiped out in the next second, B) making sure we can get at that somewhere when the whole thing is created again and find out what key did you assign. Button handler class isn't even a prop module, it's just a simple MonoBehaviour and gets treated like dirt.

In short, it's possible in theory, but needs some hero with a lot more spare time to implement, because it involves a lot of running around the deficiencies in KSP structure.

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm getting an interesting graphical glitch that just appeared after installing the MFD: NwItbmV.png

This occurs specifically during a sphere of influence change or time warp, while outside the vessel. Especially frightening is if alarm clock stops time warp for me, in which case that pod internal continues to drift off by itself into space. Any ideas? Restarting and cancelling warp fixes it without issue, but in the mean time it makes these awesome menus unusable for me.

As a note, I'm using all manner of mods, but they're all up to date with the most recent versions, RPM included. I also applied the hotfix file listed earlier in the thread.

Edited by PaladinVito

• 3 weeks later...

Hi people!

So, I've installed RPM, which works fine in both x32 and x64, KSP v 0.24.2. My problem is that I can't seem to get KSI MFD to work. The MFD's do not change from the default MSI ones. I'm using Modulemanager v2.3.5, and I've tried getting KSI to work in the following ways; MM 2.3.5 only, dual 2.3.5 and the included 1.5.7 and 1.5.7 only. I'm equally disappointed at each KSP boot. What am I doing wrong here? Any pointers?

Cheers, and thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi people!

So, I've installed RPM, which works fine in both x32 and x64, KSP v 0.24.2. My problem is that I can't seem to get KSI MFD to work. The MFD's do not change from the default MSI ones. I'm using Modulemanager v2.3.5, and I've tried getting KSI to work in the following ways; MM 2.3.5 only, dual 2.3.5 and the included 1.5.7 and 1.5.7 only. I'm equally disappointed at each KSP boot. What am I doing wrong here? Any pointers?

Cheers, and thanks.

Same thing here. Anyone know how to fix this?

Same thing here. Anyone know how to fix this?

Here's my current RPM install procedure. Just added the SPP patches by nli2work and have yet to check them out:

1. Install RPM v0.18.2/v0.18.3 from here

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/57603

2. Patch it with Hyomoto's MFD as updated by WaRi from here in the Hyomoto MFD thread

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66198?p=1258586&viewfull=1#post1258586

3. From Hyomto's Black Interface skin here extract file "GameData/Hyomoto/MFD/images/nosignal.png" and copy it to that location, as it gives a cool "NO SIGNAL" testcard

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66198

4. Take SPP Mk2 RPM patch by nli2work, SPPMk2_RPMIVA.zip, from here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/57603?p=1472057#post1472057

and add it not in "GameData/Squad/SPP/" but "GameData/JSI/RPMPodPatches/SPP/"

Here's my current RPM install procedure. Just added the SPP patches by nli2work and have yet to check them out:
1. Install RPM v0.18.2/v0.18.3 from here

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/57603

2. Patch it with Hyomoto's MFD as updated by WaRi from here in the Hyomoto MFD thread

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...=1#post1258586

3. From Hyomto's Black Interface skin here extract file "GameData/Hyomoto/MFD/images/nosignal.png" and copy it to that location, as it gives a cool "NO SIGNAL" testcard

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66198

4. Take SPP Mk2 RPM patch by nli2work, SPPMk2_RPMIVA.zip, from here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...57#post1472057

and add it not in "GameData/Squad/SPP/" but "GameData/JSI/RPMPodPatches/SPP/"

That last step breaks the new mk2 cockpits. There are no icons for the kerbals in the lower right and when going EVA through clicking on the crew hatch the game crashes.

Placing those files in the squad folder (overriding the defaults, so make backups) does work.

Edited by ironclad

Whoops! Sorry guys, I didn't realize my thread had become active again! Thanks to everyone who has been working to keep these configurations alive. I've been on a hiatus, Pokemon X & Y, Bayonetta, Hyrule Warriors, Sui Generis, Wasteland 2, Divinity: Original Sin, etc, etc, etc ... but the big reason why I haven't updated my configs is that honestly I just don't really like the new monitors. I'm around, and I still play KSP at least weekly but I skipped the 0.24 release, contracts just didn't shake up the core game enough, so I'm working back to IVA. I should clear up that I'm not providing support for the old configurations because I don't know what it would take to get them working, and they need more than just a band-aid so they are provided as-is. I pretty much have to write new ones from scratch to get things working with the new monitors, and I'm not sure when I'll be able to do that.

It does feel a bit like a kick in the ass though, I didn't mean to let the IVA crowd down! I'll see what I can get done for you guys though, IVA deserves a proper interface.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.