How to get into a polar orbit that is 90 deg rotated from a standard polar orbit

It depends. If I'm already in orbit, I would expand my apoapsis out to x40 my periapsis altitude. Fly out to my new apoapsis, do the plane-change maneuver (tug on one of the magenta colored nodes on the maneuver node, you may need to pull on the retrograde node as well to keep your periapsis from moving). Fly back to periapsis and lower your apoapsis again. Then celebrate.

If you're trying to space satellites evenly, for example, time your launches so that they're exactly 1/4 of a Kerbin day apart.

This; just wait for the planet to turn in between launches. If you use any mapsat or kethane mods that map the surface you can see that the surface is turning below your polar orbiting craft. We are assuming then that you mean at a 90 degree angle (from the equatorial crossing) of the other polar oribiting craft. Easy answer is to wait until KSC is 90 degrees from the orbit of the other craft and launch directly into a polar orbit at that time.

The one reason to to turn a polar orbit I can come up with is to adjust the craft's trajectory relative to the sun. You can have a polar orbit that sees the sun at all times, and you can have a polar orbit that spends almost 50% of its time in the shadow of the orbited body. Clearly the former is better if you happen to have power-hungry devices attached and/or are far away from the sun.

However, as the body orbits the sun (or the body's parent, in the case of a moon), your orbit won't turn along with its path, and therefore will slowly rotate relative to the sun. If your craft is reliant on always needing sunlight, prepare to adjust the orbit every so often. Thankfully, solar orbits are so large that this effect happens really really slowly.

This; just wait for the planet to turn in between launches. If you use any mapsat or kethane mods that map the surface you can see that the surface is turning below your polar orbiting craft. We are assuming then that you mean at a 90 degree angle (from the equatorial crossing) of the other polar oribiting craft. Easy answer is to wait until KSC is 90 degrees from the orbit of the other craft and launch directly into a polar orbit at that time.

Of course if you launch them both into the same orbit they will be no use as mapping satellites because they will be in the same orbit just at different points in it.

Planet's rotational axis is a line, not a plane. Any orbit that crosses this line (or comes sufficiently close) is a polar orbit, there's no "standard" direction because the planet rotates around it, using all directions evenly. The only orbit that is 90 degrees rotated "from" a polar orbit is an equatorial orbit.

With that said, I believe you already got all answers to all reasonable interpretations of your question in posts above.

However, as the body orbits the sun (or the body's parent, in the case of a moon), your orbit won't turn along with its path, and therefore will slowly rotate relative to the sun. If your craft is reliant on always needing sunlight, prepare to adjust the orbit every so often. Thankfully, solar orbits are so large that this effect happens really really slowly.

This is true if you fly a 90° inclination. But if you set it slightly below/above 90° (depending if you are going north or south) your orbit will rotate around kerbin, which in turn is turning around the sun. Such an Orbit is called 'Sun-synchronus', in your case you are looking for a dusk/dawn orbit (your object in space is always above the terminator). The inclination you are looking for is defined by your orbital period and the length of a kerbal year. Sry, don't have the formula at hand. But here with earth & sol the inclinations are typically between 96° and 98° for earth-observing satellites; such orbits are used for getting 'same time of day' for using shadow-length for height determination and radar-sats (and maybe much more).

For the necessary calculations, I'm pretty sure googling for 'sun-synchronous orbit' turns something up. Or you just guestimate it the kerbal way, and checking with timewarp. Should at least minimise your plane-changes.

HTH

Clemens.

The only two ways I can think of to do this are:

1. Change your launch position to 0.25 the distance around kerbin at the equator away from KSC.

2. Launch normally into a very high orbit and plane change at your highest point above the poles.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.