Any trick for navigation on Kerbin?

As the tittle suggest,I'm asking if you have any suggestion to navigation on Kerbin: in example, if you are at the north pole and you want to go back at the KSC, how can you do that?

The only (reliable) way I have found so far is to plant a flag at the KSC. On departure I set that flag as target so I can have an idea of the heading by following the target marker.

However, this method is not very effective because, in some case, the target marker will be below the artificial horizon(or whatever line is the lowest you can see).

What are the other method I can use(including mods), which one do you find the best?

Thank you for reading!

Couldn't you just use the navball? If you are at the northpole, and want to go to KSC, couldn't you just point south on the Navball and navigate from there? I use this method commonly. Or i just zoom out in flight mode alooooottttt, see where it is i want to go, and turn that way and carry on. :P Are you talking about a rover, or a plane, or a rocket, or an EVA?

I'm talking about a plane.

I use the navball but I'm asking if there is other method. Also, the reason I just don't go to the south is that pointing south would get me back to KSC only if I didn't turned after passing the north pole: I fear that I would miss the KSC by pointing to the south pole.

Eventually I plan on doing an FMS that will let you build flight plans defined by lat/longs and give you lateral (and optional vertical) guidance. Unfortunately, its not on the near horizon. I think MechJeb will generate an ILS of sorts for landing at KSC (and possibly the island runway?).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.