The Engines That Came In From The Cold

turbo917k

Yeah, it is a very good documentary movie, made me feel so proud of my country. I really like Mishin's answer at 21:44:

"Nu chto, ploho sebya chuvstvoval?/Of course I felt bad. Do you think you would feel good if your engine blew up with a thrust of 4.5 thousand tons?" I also made a gif with Korolev from this video:)

TeTD0.gif

Edited by Shuttle

If you where to give both countries the same budgets the Russians would have have beaten the Americans hands down the way they approached things was different there technology was years ahead of the Americans in every step of the space race they where ahead its there economy which could not support the huge budget required to manage a space program. I am Australian and have a huge respect for both countries and there achievments I just wish they had persisted with the Buran or at least revive it.

What do you think would've happened if Korolev hadnt died?

Pretty much what happened IRL. The Soviet Lunar program failed not because Korolev died, or because they didn't have enough budget, or didn't have the right technology... It failed because the Soviet space program went into something of a decline after rabbiting out of the gate as they thought they had proved their point and they didn't take Project Apollo seriously. Internal politics further hampered their efforts and slowed their programs. By the time they figured that we actually intended to go through with it (which was something of a fluke itself) and put a man on the moon and that they needed to get serious, it was far too late to catch up. They had no time to put the necessary technological and industrial base in place.

On the other hand, it's not clear that even had they taken the challenge seriously what would have happened because the US had an enormous lead out of the gate - the F1 was already well along in development, as was the Saturn series of boosters and the Apollo CSM. One thing people don't generally realize is that President Kennedy choose the goal a lunar landing over other options not just because it was hard or audacious, but because so many of the important puzzle pieces were already on the board. It would probably have been a close race, and more dependent on who caught the fewest bad breaks or who was the luckiest more than anything else.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.